Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

ive been shopping for emergency food with a long shelf life. It is hard for me to tell if the food is actually vegetarian. Does anyone have info on this?

Responses (4)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Mountainmystic at 09/07/17 10:23:42

For emergeny food storage, you can store oatmeal, dry cereal, brown rice, nuts, and grains in large mason jars or food grade plastic containers. Buy a Coleman camp stove and some small propane containers. Yiu can cook and eat.

You can live off these food stores in weeks long emergencies. Also, have a backup water supply of one form or another. I was stuck in ice and snow at my remote house in the mountains for 22 days a few years ago. After the first few days, you get into a routine and learn to live with less. Become more appreciative of life.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happah10 at 09/19/17 02:12:07

This is actually one of the greatest things about a vegan diet. The wide availability of foods in aseptic containers makes emergency preparedness very easy and of you eat these foods on a regular basis, a prolonged power outage is not that serious of a disruption.

Lets start with breakfast. Unsliced fruit, cereals, oats, nuts, seeds, soymilk, bread, the list could go on for days and days. For meals later in the day, beans, root vegetables, rice, quinoa, canned veggies, peanut butter and preserves, pasta, tomatoes, technically a lot of vegetables don't really require refrigeration but stsy fresher if its available. Broccoli and brussel sprouts for instance.
    Im not a big corn guy but obviously corn.
    You asked about long shelf life, sorry, canned foods and pasta, rice and beans. You can make your own bread if you wanted to. Falafels!!! Fantastic Foods brand makes some long shelf life products like veggie burgers and sloppy joes. Look at the label for animals or animal fluids.

If you eat that stuff on a daily basis anyway, the main difference is it comes out of a can, it's really not even much of an inconvenience. As survivalist Cody Lundin says, It's not just surviving, it's living.

We lost power fpr a couple of days here from hurricane irma and i was totally ready. I was only worried about losing my gardein stuff in the freezer, veggie burgers and breyers vegan ice cream.

• Report Abuse

Posted by happah10 at 09/19/17 02:24:34

To add, you can make your own tofu also If you've got soybeans. The possibilities are endless. And the grest thing about canned veggies os you can rinse them off and significantly reduce the sodium. Mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, beans, peas, lentils, green beans etc.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Mountainmystic at 09/19/17 10:50:44

Great and,easy list if foods, happah10. I aporeciate that list.
    For cold storage of vegetables and foods, a basement, root cellar, or,spring house will help keep things cool, only if you have access to such. As you quoted, it's not just surviving, it's living. And it is less stress, when your basic needs are being met in an emergency or survival situation. Easier to deal with the situation at hand and keep others calm and content with food and water.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support