HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I'm looking to buy a - OK probably two Vegan Cook Books and I don't have much money so I would really appreciate it if you guys could let me know your favourites and why.
:)

Responses (6)

• Report Abuse

Posted by gr8vegan at 04/05/08 03:13:48

Use the internet! (sorry to vegan cookbook writers, but I own well over a dozen vegan cookbooks!) vegweb.com is all you need. (and a few sheets of paper :)

Veganomicon is my current favorite! Its just the most current and advanced cookbook as far as modern vegan tastes have developed. If you're just starting out go for "How it all vegan" or some comprehensive vegan cookbook that has all the normal cookbook stuff in it, just veganized. You need one with all the good egg replacers, etc. Not that I need another vegan cookbook, but I'd be interested to hear what others have to say, too.

• Report Abuse

Posted by webmaster at 04/06/08 11:19:53

Hi TreeHugger,
    I suggest you check out the HappyCow bookshop:
    http://www.happycow.net/shop/cookbooks.html

Diana has personally read and used most of these and only lists books she likes.
    ALSO, a small percentage, 5-6% of the cost will go back into the HappyCow site :-)

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 04/06/08 22:56:02

My favorite is still one that I eventually bought several cartons of almost 30 years ago - 'Light Eating for Survival' by Marcia Acciardo.

A late 70's sprouting / raw foods classic.

Preface by Viktoras Kulvinskas.

Gorgeous cover design & illustrations by Peter Max.

It is sometimes available 2nd hand at Amazon.com

Go through the HappyCow link from the HomePage - http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2F&tag=happycow-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Light Eating for Survival
    Marcia Acciardo
    Paperback, 1978
    ISBN-10 0933278055

ISBN-13 9780933278059

• Report Abuse

Posted by larryfeltonj at 04/17/08 14:20:12

I really love Veganomicon. I got a copy probably three months ago, and it's become my favorite really rapidly. I've made the Tofu Florentine, the chickpea cutlets, the cornbread, and have tried a bunch of their recommendations for roasting and grilling vegetables.

The one thing I'll say about it on the negative side is that you can't pay a lot of attention to the estimated preparation time. I'm pretty fast slicing and mincing, and the recipes still take me about twice their time estimates.

The reciped have been uniformly worth the time they've take though.

• Report Abuse

Posted by darky_ at 04/24/08 05:00:08

I kinda agree with gr8vegan! Theres loooooads of different recipes and ideas for all Vege cookin' online. ;)

I have heard 'Vegan Planet' is a good book and big with loads of recipes from different cultures and countrys. I ordered one a while ago but the order got botched up somehow and i had to re-order but didn't because of money. Anyway....Use the net.

Print some and staple them together or hole punch and make a big file of favorites! hehehee! :P Sorry Darling.....
    I like Isa's 'Post Punk Kitchen' stuff!

www.theppk.com/

www.theppk.com/recipes/

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 04/24/08 11:00:19

I have some really good recipes already that I've gleaned of the www....sometimes a girl's just gotta feed her book fetish.
    Thanks for your suggestions guys.
    :)

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now