HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I'm looking for the BEST spot in NYC for red beats. I know this is a bit odd; but I'm an avid red beat lover, and am having a hard time finding good restaurants that serve my fav dish. ANY HELP PLEASE!

Responses (4)

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 07/31/08 08:18:07

Can't help for New York.
    However ................ when you are next in London, England plan to visit the wonderfully eccentric "Beatroot" - http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=7301
    You may also like to print this recipe for -

"A Pink Snack"

AKA

"Beetroot Hummus"

& present it to a few New York chef's.
    Stolen from Ammalu's blog - http://ammaluskitchen.info/2008/06/15/a-pink-snack/
    Ingredients
    1 medium beetroot ( sliced and steamed)
    2 shallots chopped finely
    1 cup of chickpeas , soaked overnight and boiled until tender
    4 garlic pods
    1/4 cup tahini
    1/8 cup lemon juice
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/8 cup olive oil
    Method
    1. Firstly cut the beetroot and cook in the microve , I cooked on a high for about 6 minutes .
    2. Chop shallots finely and saute them in the olive oil ( I had to do this ‘cos hubby dear doesn't like the smell of steamed onions wafting around)
    3. Cook the chickpeas , in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles.Reserve the liquid.
    4. In a food processor , take the chickpeas , beetroot , tahini sauce , lemon juice ,garlic, salt and cumin and puree until smooth. Now with the motor running , add the reserved chickpea liquid with the olive oil and process further until smooth . Serve with Pita chips or flat bread.

• Report Abuse

Posted by treehugger at 08/02/08 03:51:35

Mmmmm I LOVE Beetroot.
    That recipe sounds yum!
    Thanks for posting.
    :)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Quasi Vegetarian at 08/11/08 19:44:13

zenchief2:

Do you have any room at all for a small garder or planter box. Beets, or Beta vulgaris are not hard to grow at all. And the home grown are always the very best. This way you will have the pleasure of both root and leaves. Both a delight to the palate.

Quasi

• Report Abuse

Posted by HM at 08/11/08 20:50:28

yay this makes me excited about moving from this apartment (half moved into the garage of the house now) into the house;)
    There are 4 garden beds. Not only that but the last guy who lived there, lo and behold, is vegan and has never put chemicals on the small lawn or the plants (or anywhere else on the property). One of the garden beds I plan to plant root veggies, including be3ts and thinking ginger? It's been 10 years since I've had a veggie garden:)
    meow
    but as far as New York... Been there only once and I know I ate at the Red Bamboo and Lotus (or was it lotus blossom? I get it confused as we have blossoming lotus here which is my favorite). I cannot recall if either of them had beets.
    yay for positive posts.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now