Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

I am not a vegan, not even a vegetarian. But I am interested to adopt to a vegan lifestyle. However, I still live with my parents, and we share our food. When I get my own place then I will make the transition.

I do not know if I can exactly call myself a "vegan wannabe", because there are some things I disagree with vegans on. For example, I happen to think if somebody gifts you food, or gifts you leather clothing, then you can use it. Because you are not supporting cruelty, the dirty work has already been done. I know vegans do not think like that, but I do, so I am not sure if that makes me a "vegan". However, I do agree that people should not be using animals, and on top of it, we do not need them. (But that would be an off-topic discussion for my question.)

My problem is that I do not want to tell other people that I am a vegan (or close to being one), then deal with it. Considering I am currently living with other people, and we all share our meals, what do you suggest?

I am genuinly interested in changing my lifestyle around. But I want to do that when I get to be on my own.

Responses (9)

• Report Abuse

Posted by TalkinBoutPractice at 01/16/16 11:22:15

Eventually when you opt for a plant-based diet it will bring the worst and best in those around you. In most cases, it is the worst. (which you will notice is reflected in how you approach the subject)
    So just focus on food. In society's view, you will become hypocritical. Who gives a [censored]. Being vegan is not just about your choices, it's about your attitude after making those choices.

Not all vegans are alike. Especially people like myself who grew up in meat-eating families I find that lifelong vegans are hard to relate to. They tend to have a wimpy demeanor, are super-soft, and try way to hard to 'glow' and inspire others through their paper moon bliss. Partly the reason I think vegan is not taking off as well as it should is a lot of vegan establishments have no grit. they are all very feminine and way too extreme in their 'compassion'. no TV's for sports as sports probably 'promotes violence' . post a poster of George Laraque after a scrap! Put a football game on. What I am saying is not all vegans are alike!
    I get teased all the time about my food choices but it's me who is laughing when I outwork everyone and out play everyone and still have something left in the tank.

Take the plunge.

• Report Abuse

Posted by GOLGO13 at 01/16/16 18:27:09

I think it's tricky for advocating something like a vegan lifestyle. I am turned off by the aggressive vegans...but that may work in some cases. Reminds me of aggressive religious folks. They think reading a few verses will convince someone to change. For vegans it is documentaries. I think those can be a start. But it takes more research to make an informed decision. I was more swayed by the health benefits. I hate factory farming. But I don't mind humane farming.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 01/17/16 05:00:57

GOLGO 3-

Some would say that the killing is also inhumane. Do only humans have a right to life?

• Report Abuse

Posted by GOLGO13 at 01/17/16 08:43:10

Understood. I'm not quite there myself. But I also am not into killing animals myself. I sometimes do fish but I almost always release them now. I think certain seafood would not bother me like clams mussels oysters. I know they are living, but they just don't seem like most animals.

It may sound strange, but if the animals are respected for what the are and provide...it seems ok to me. Kind of like how native americans way of life is.

• Report Abuse

Posted by TalkinBoutPractice at 01/17/16 15:30:10

I find people who aren't interested in a plant-based diet don't care whether you are aggressive or passive in your approach. Their number one goal is to reject it. With complete strangers I may use the aggressive approach knowing that person doesn't have to see me again and can therefore look into themselves without feeling like they are giving in. i just bring it to their most immediate attention. Besides, sometimes what I am saying is not directly for the person asking questions. i always go with the health benefits and it's cause on the environment and do not even bother with animal rights as that approach is best used in a light manner IMO. in any case, i never bring it up unless i hear an outright lie, and in a lot of cases people will be like "he's vegan" then there is "YOUR VEGAN!?" I start out calm and if they are open to it they ask lots of good questions and you can keep it light but if they are crass and condescending I SERVE IT RIGHT BACK. I don't care if people think I'm the aggressive vegan. We are not all alike and I cannot fake a "vegan glow" and "I'm so joyous cause I'm vegan" Nope I go straight into details about my struggles and how others choices affect mine. As someone who is homeless and lives in a nation almost completely void of any solid vegan city I am not here to be Mr. Nice Guy. Nice glowy vegans aren't what got me into vegan. Be Authentic. Be Brave.

Report Abuse

Posted by V3ganFoodie at 01/19/16 12:40:27

My tips:
    Telling People - This will be hit or miss, but you can avoid using the v-word by saying 'plant based diet' or 'nutrient rich diet.' I say that when I don't want to say the word 'vegan' and deal with a million ill-intended questions. It doesn't matter when you make the switch, you will get asked the same questions a million times, it's just the nature of the beast. Find something that works for you, whether it is a slow buildup to saying 'vegan' and explaining your protein intake a lot or simply skirting around your dietary preferences. Do what you want and what works.

Gifted Stuff - There are thrift vegans out there that say leather obtained from a salvation army or good will is okay. Whether you agree or disagree, I prefer giving people a list for xmas to ensure that I get what I want and that it is vegan. When it comes to receiving food that isn't vegan, I don't want to eat it (but it is my personal belief that people can't really identify as vegan if they eat animal products purposefully - gifted or not), instead I will regift it to family or someone who would enjoy the gift more.

Family Dinner - Talk to the family member that would be most open-minded (in my case, mom) and can help steer dinner toward options sans animal products. Having make your own taco nights where you can leave off meat and cheese, or pasta night where the meatballs and parmesan cheese are in a separate dish, or grilling a few veggie burgers alongside the not-so-veggie burgers are easily do-able. There will be times when you may have to make your own meal or snacks, but I find it to be manageable when my parents are supportive of me eating what I want to eat. It may not happen overnight, but it is doable with a little extra thought beforehand.

General - I found that I became vegan for one reason (health), but that I stayed vegan for other reasons (environment, animal welfare, human rights, etc). Don't be nervous if the same happens for you or if you find that your ideas on veganism evolve. I suspect that they will change based on information and time. It's natural.

Good Luck!

• Report Abuse

Posted by lotus2000 at 02/04/16 15:02:21

I am a vegan living in a house full of non vegans, and it is difficult. You pretty much have to make your own meals and sit at dinner feeling awkward with your plate full of veggies while your family eats steak or whatever ;) but you have to decide whether it's worth it. I found that it was. I would suggest trying out being vegan without making a big deal about it or telling anyone. That way you can see if it works for you and it'll be no big deal if it doesn't. As for the gift thing, I tend to lean your way on that. For example, I had leather boots and a down coat when I first became vegan, and I saw no good reason to throw them away because they were still useful to me and I might as well use them. After they got worn out I didn't replace them, of course, but the point is I get where you're coming from. No disrespect to the hardcore vegans out there, but I think that vegans that come on too strong scare away people who are looking into being vegan. I would suggest looking into the health benefits if you want to be persuaded to go vegan. Also, there are a lot of good food and animal related documentaries, especially on Netflix. Those were really what made me become vegan. Anyways, the point is that it will be somewhat difficult living with non vegans, but you'll probably find that it's a lot easier than you expected it to be. Good luck!

• Report Abuse

Posted by La_diavolo at 02/05/16 02:55:23

Hi there. I become vegetarian because I health issues. So I am living with my parents too,so it's big thing that you have their support and understanding. Speak with them, you know, it's a life changing situation so they will support you. Do not wait to have your own place you know. You can start step by step, start to cut out your meat intake progressively. So you will see in a month you wan't be craving for meat anymore. Cheers !

• Report Abuse

Posted by Woodoo at 02/06/16 08:30:14

Hi ) I think you can come to this theme like an experiment) don't take it too serious, you can tell your relatives and friends that you want to try this way of eating, how this will effect your body) in reality this is an experiment, and you choose how you'll do it. First you can try it just to feel how this will be for your body, the ethical aspect could arise a bit later, after sometime being a vegetarian, but there's no obligation for this. It's a journey to something new )

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support