Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Hi, new to site. Considering going fully vegetarian (we eat organic poultry & fish) but I have a 3 year old and a baby on the way and want to ensure they get all the nutrients needed WITHOUT allergenic soy, peanuts, gluten.... I am not a fan of soy unless it is fermented and all the meat alternatives look like meat and are made of soy. Only tempeh is fermented and I can't find it at our health food store. Can someone give me a list of types of meals that kids would enjoy on a vegetarian diet. We'll work on vegan at a later stage. We don't drink milk, but do consume organic cheese and yogurt. We also eat fish for protein and omega 3 oils. Do you consume flax oil for Omega3?
Thanks!

Responses (10)

Report Abuse

Posted by jive at 07/24/10 16:49:25

there are many ways for veggies and vegans to get protein
    www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm
    and dont forget your beans, lots of protein there.
    All your vetetables have protein, just not alot
    www.thebestofrawfood.com/vegan-protein.html

• Report Abuse

Posted by AndyT at 07/27/10 08:43:26

Are any of your family allergic to soy?

Sorry for asking, maybe this is a stupid questions, but people in Asia have been eating soy for thousands of years (and not exactly to bad results, health-wise).

So - in my opinion - unless you are allergic to soy, I do not really see the point in not eating it. Just my 2c.

I personally would rather eat soy than organic poultry or fish (as a matter of fact, I do :-)

Look here for a position paper of the ADA (American Dieticians Association) on different vegetarian diets:http://www.eatright.org/about/content.aspx?id=8357

In a nutshell: even a vegetarian diet - if balanced - gives infants and children all the necessary nutrients. A vegan diet (no dairy products and eggs) makes it a little bit more tricky, but is also possible.

Best regards,
    Andy

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tatiana at 07/27/10 11:15:53

My biggest recommendation to you would be to see a dietitian who is familiar with vegan/vegetarian diets, food allergies, and working with kids and prenatal (You are really far away from me and I don't personally know any dietitians/nutritionists in England, sorry) to ensure the diet is balanced for you and your child. A good reference for you to look at now that I really like is

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/veganpregnancy.php

Just a note: this information is solely for educational purposes and is in no way to replace an actual medical visit. This website has a wealth of excellent information from a lot of great minds but please remember if you have any medical concerns or needs please see your medical doctor or healthcare provider.

• Report Abuse

Posted by not-vegan at 07/29/10 08:21:26

Stick to the poultry and fish for a protein source. I knew jive was clueless when he mentioned beans as a high protein source. Depending on the bean, most are not edible raw, and most have small number of toxins to the body. Not the best idea to make a staple of a diet for protein source. The amount of protein received from veggies is so small and in no way suitable for a growing child. Now for AndyT's comments, I have no clue why anyone would suggest soy to another human as a healthy alternative to fish and poultry. Hundreds if not thousands of studies have shown how detrimental soy is to a human diet. The high levels of estrogen in soy is enough to keep me away. One thing to recommend this to a a fellow vegan, but to recommend it to a child is downright irresponsible. The best advice is what Tatiana said and go see someone who specializes in this. Nutrition for a growing child is too important to be based off some OPINIONS found on an internet forum.

Report Abuse

Posted by jive at 07/29/10 12:53:32

hey dont believe me! google beans and protein and see what pops up

• Report Abuse

Posted by JohnnySensible at 07/29/10 18:36:49

Feeding any child 'organic poultry & fish' is real bad for the poultry & the fish.

Feeding a child steamed green veggies, colorful salads, wholegrains, sprouted seeds, ripe fruits etc. will only give good results.

PureMothers - for a list of meals HappyCow has some good recipes - .......VeganDad has super-excellent ones - http://vegandad.blogspot.com/ - here he is on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vegan-Dad/102468443130311

. . . . . . . .

• Report Abuse

Posted by Yoshi at 07/29/10 18:37:16

Sad, not-vegan could really use a hobby.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Chia at 07/29/10 21:18:51

I have a 2-year old daughter who has been fully vegetarian and mostly vegan since birth. She is very healthy and is highly intelligent.

Basically, it's not too difficult as long as you put some thought and time into it, and offer your child a well-rounded diet comprising wide range of fresh and whole foods.

She eats a lot of what my husband and I eat. Mostly fresh organic fruits and veggies, whole foods, some healthy snacks (without artificial ingredients or preservatives).

She especially enjoys eating quinoa, brown rice, whole grain cereals, green peas, pasta, chlorella, seaweed, fresh fruits of all kinds, raisins, and bread. She will also eat beans and tofu.

Instead of cow or goat milk, she enjoys her rice milk, soy & rice milk blend, and our homemade hemp milk.

Here's the recipe for 2 servings of homemade hemp milk:
    - 2 or 3 dates soaked in drinking water for a few hours
    - a big handful of hulled hemp seeds
    - 1 banana
    - drinking water
    Blend everything until smooth and enjoy!

• Report Abuse

Posted by webmaster at 07/30/10 13:46:35

Not specific to children, but recent & relevant:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ellen-kanner/meatless-monday-enough-al_b_655554.html
    ...and the link to the American Dietetic Society article:
    http://www.eatright.org/about/content.aspx?id=8357

• Report Abuse

Posted by twoveganboys at 08/05/10 18:47:19

Hi. I am a mum to two mini vegans, ages 3 and 1. They are given many options. One is picky, the other not so much. YOu can offer smoothies with fresh greens, ground flax. avocado, nut butter, yogurt, fruit, etc. Kids love them. You can also offer bean and cheese quesadillas with spinach. Make muffins with pureed spinach in the batter offering a good source of iron. Whole grains with legumes lightly seasoned make a fun finger food, as well as whole grain pasta. We make a sauce with 5 different types of vegetables roasted and pureed into the pasta sauce.

Hope it helps.

www.twoveganboys.wordpress.com

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support