Community: Forum: Vegetarian Discussion

Vegan / Vegetarian Discussion - All Things Veg*n Forum

Austin, Texas Police choosing vegan - one at a time!

Full article - http://www.statesman.com/life/content/life/stories/health/08/06/0806fitcity.html

FIT CITY: PAMELA LEBLANC

Scott Cary wants to whip the police force into shape
Cary gave up meat, started to run

Monday, August 06, 2007

Excerpts -

Sgt. Scott Cary used to fit that ugly stereotype: A burger-munching cop in an extra-large uniform, he couldn't make time in his stressed-out life for exercise.

At first, Cary practically choked. He'd grown up in Nebraska. His grandfather and uncle were butchers. He ate red meat at nearly every meal. "To me, (giving up meat) would be impossible," he says.

Still, he aimed for a single meat-free month. It wasn't easy, especially at restaurants and parties. At first, he craved meat. But at the end of a month he'd lost 10 pounds and felt, he says, 100 percent better. In October 2005, he dropped dairy products from his diet and became vegan. His cholesterol has dropped from more than 200 then to 117.

He compares giving up meat to quitting cigarettes, which he did in 1976, or cutting out alcohol, which he did in 1981. "You give it up one meal at a time," he says. "I didn't quit meat for animal rights, I did it for my own health. And I can't ever see going back to my old eating habits."

"The days of coffee and doughnuts are over," he says. "It's a latte with soy milk and a bagel."

Responses (1)

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support