HappyCow is loading...

Community: Forum: Recipes & Cooking

Vegan Cooking Tips and Recipes Forum

After years of debating ..... I finally took the plunge and purchased (ordered) a Vitamix blender. (Yes, I know it's not "just a blender"). The one I purchased is not at the top of their line (as it was not the most expensive one they sell). The one I purchased is the Vitamix Creations 48oz. 15-in-1, 2-Speed Blender with Dry Container. It should be arriving next week and I feel like a new mother. (What in the WORLD do I do with this precious little (expensive) bundle?)

So having blurbed out all that.....I was just wondering if any of you would be able to "validate" my purchase by telling me what you love about your Vitamix, why you purchased one, what you use yours for etc.? And since I'm looking for honesty, anyone that has a not so rosy view or experience with one, please feel free to leave your comments as well. WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO?? Thanks for your (honest)responses.

(Trying to) Stay Strong - Stay Vegan,
Lil Sprout

Responses (5)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Mushu at 05/04/13 20:15:27

BEST PURCHASE OF MY LIFE. Well maybe aside from my bed...
    But anyway.
    My family isn't vegan, just myself, so sometimes I'll come home from work and there will be steak and chicken flavored rice on the table... now what.
    WELL, I grab anything I can from the fridge, left over half of a tomato, celery, carrots, cauliflower, flaxseeds just because, kale, spinach, honestly whatever I can get my hands on and I shove it all in this amazing creation and turn it on. It cooks it into soup!!! Like it gets warm! So I go upstairs, rub the grime off my face, come downstairs and it's ready. Done. Bam.
    Only con I see is it's loud. Very loud, especially if you are using it for soup because you need to put it on the highest setting for it to heat up.
    Cleaning is a breeze, just rinse, then fill with water and a tiny bit of dish wash stuff and turn it on, let the water wizz around for a minute or two and you're done. Honestly that's it.
    I make ice cream with this, almond cheese, grind up walnuts and cauliflower to make "ground beef" honestly everything I cook I use this thing with.
    You made a good choice in my opinion.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Dia at 05/10/13 15:15:39

I have the Vitamix Culinary Institute of America Professional Series. It has variable speeds. I don't know why they have so many models, it can get confusing. This is the one Bed, Bath and Beyond carried when I got it. I too had waited a long time before deciding to spend the big bucks. Absolutely no regrets, I love it. I throw whole fruits in (I peel things like bananas and oranges, but some people don't)and it makes really quick work of them. Great smoothies! Makes hot soup just like Mushu said, ice cream too. I probably should use it even more often so it could pay for itself. ;-)

• Report Abuse

Posted by ErinFlores at 05/07/13 16:02:32

I have the NutriBullet, and I love it!!! Target for only $100. Here's one of my favorite morning recipes
    1 apple
    1/2 banana
    handful of kale
    2 tblsp cocnut oil
    1/4 cup almonds
    fill container 1/2 with almond milk
    MMMMM.....

• Report Abuse

Posted by vickyinchile at 04/21/14 09:51:34

Hi Lil Sprout,

I too am thinking about buying a Vitamix. I have been thinking about it for over a year! I have a standard Oster blender which does most blending jobs OK but I was interested to know if you are pleased with yours and whether you could recommend buying one. I really want to be able to make smoothies, nut butter, nut milk and things like hummus. I have watched all the videos I can find online and they look amazing! :)

Many thanks, Vicky

• Report Abuse

Posted by AndyT at 04/22/14 08:14:29

I also have the CIA edition (basically the 5200 plus a recipe book) and am very happy with it. To be honest - I am not sure if a two-speed model is as versatile for preparing food, because the variable speed allows you some flexibility for cooking. Granted, I use mine 90 % of the time at the "max" setting, however, sometimes the lower setting is practical for preparing food.

Yes, it is loud, jet-engine-during-take-off-loud, but I guess that can not be helped if you want to have the power it delivers. I also had the Blendtec Easy blender, that was very similar, but that one had preset programmes to make it easier to let it run unattended and therefor was not so versatile for cooking (gave that one to my sister, who loves it).

You need to be logged in or registered to post.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now