Posted by treehugger at 03/10/08 08:21:16Banofee Pie
This recipe came from an unknown place on the internet. It is a bit complicated, but well worth it if you are having cravings for banofee pie.
6oz (170g) plain wholemeal flour
3oz (85g) margarine
4oz (115g) brown sugar
4oz (115g) margarine
1 tbsp golden syrup
4floz (100 ml) soya milk
1 dessert spoon cornflour
½ tsp vanilla vssence
1. First make the pastry by rubbing the margarine into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add enough water to make a dough which is soft, but not sticky.
2. Roll out and place into a dish. Bake for 10 minutes at 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 to set the pastry. Allow to cool.
3. In a saucepan with sugar thermometer attached, gently heat the sugar, margarine and and golden syrup.
4. Constantly stirring the mixture with a non plastic spoon, boil up to soft ball stage. Simmer at this temperature for 5 minutes, making sure not to let the temperature go any higher.
5. Heat the soya milk and heaped dessert spoonful of cornflour in the microwave until a thick white sauce is made. Stir in the vanilla.
6. Take the toffee off the heat and allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Beat the toffee whilst slowly adding the white sauce to it. Mix thoroughly, removing any un-dissolved lumps of cornflour.
7. Slice the banana thinly and line the base of the pastry case evenly.
8. Once cooled to room temperature, carefully poor the toffee mixture over the top, making sure as to cover the bananas completely. Refrigerate for a few hours before enjoying. The longer you leave it the firmer and less runny the toffee will be.