Community: Forum: Health & Healing

Vegan Health & Nutrition Discussion Forum

Hey everyone! My husband and I have recently decided to become vegetarians. I have been completely of of meat for two days. I had a little fish the 2 days prior to that. My husband is going for the gradual approach and is not completely off yet. I have been really excited for this new way of life and have done a lot of research. However, I was discouraged a bit today at work by a doctor that I really love. Can anyone tell me if they have had any health related problems(caused from going vegetarian) and what I can do to prevent any myself? I am hoping for a healthier lifestyle and have been a little upset by his comments. Any advice on this matter or tips in general would be greatly appreciated!

Responses (4)

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 03/25/15 08:31:07

American doctors are not required to take many courses in nutrition, and many medical schools, especially those affiliated with agricultural schools, are heavily influenced by the meat and dairy industries.

More and more doctors are waking up to the truth about vegetarian and vegan diets...go to pcrm.org and you can learn much about this.

There are almost countless excellent books out there about the advantages of vegetarian and better still, vegan diets. You can generally find some at your local library, and there are literally tens of thousands of websites that offer valid information.

Report Abuse

Posted by Nina Adel at 03/29/15 12:14:16

If you are interested in a healthy lifestyle you can listen to the lectures of these docters on youtube: dr. Michael Greger, Neal Barnard and Colin Campbell.
    Try to replace the meat with for example tofu, wheat gluten or tempeh.
    And if you really want to give your health a boost try leaving out milk, eggs and diary products out of your diet.
    There are lot's of products out there to replace these with.
    I became a vegetarian when I was 18 and after 9 years made the switch to veganism and never felt better.
    Good luck !

• Report Abuse

Posted by Thalassa4 at 10/10/15 01:45:49

It's best if you start to think of meals in a different way than "out of meat"...not to mention any health issues a vegetarian might have comes from thinking this way, with just eating the lettuce or a piece of bread instead of replacing animal products with other wholesome foods. Cheese is an easy go to for lacto vegetarians, but should not be your only source of "protein". You can only eat so many grilled cheese sandwiches and so much pizza. ..plus you won't feel that great if you aren't eating a balanced diet.

It's not about just eating some fries without the burger. Beans are your friends, beans and legumes...as well as hummus, nut butters, and tofu. Then if you want to, there are tons of mock meats or faux meats made by different companies that you can try until you find your favorites. If you're still eating eggs, look for free range organic.

It's all about building meals in a way that aren't just centered around animal products. The vegetarian approach is ideally a more holistic one, rather than a game of taking out something and hoping for the best. Man was not made to live on fruit snacks and muffins alone. Do not fall into the cereal trap.

Good luck!

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 10/10/15 04:48:36

Dairy products are arguably as bad or worse for your health than eating meat. The dairy industry is also bad for the environment and involves intense cruelty and slaughter.

"Free range eggs" are generally a myth, unless you think letting chickens outdoors for an hour a day is "free range".

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support