Community: Forum: Health & Healing

Vegan Health & Nutrition Discussion Forum

Hi, I'm brand new here and hope I'm in the right forum. I signed up today because my son has been talking to me about wanting to live full vegan, but we have a problem that our nutritionist doesn't seem to be able to wrap her head around.

My son is allergic to nuts, beans and all legumes including peanuts and soybeans, and through trial and error we've discovered he's got numerous gluten sensitivities. Wheat and its cousins all cause
stomach upset, and he can semi-tolerate oats. Most seeds seem to be okay, so there's that at least.

My question is, what in God's name is he supposed to be able to eat to give both adequate protein and variety?
We've given up completely on anything remotely processed from the store because everything has nuts or soy.
Specifically, we're trying to find recipes that don't end with the concoction tasting like fish flavored cardboard made out of rotted grass. One can only add so much spirulina before it starts to taste like regurgitated sea floor, and while chia and hemp seeds help the protein a little, again too much to get the right combo and adequate amount ends with the product tasting terrible (not to mention bowel irritation).

I know there's got to be things I've either overlooked or never heard of that someone has to have experience with.

Thank you to any that can help.

Responses (5)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Tori1000 at 09/17/15 14:11:57

There are lots of awesome grains that dont contain gluten. Theres a great video on vegancoach.com. My blog also covers the vegan life but no so much nutrition. https://venusvegan.wordpress.com/2015/09/17/effective-change/ You also have the option of suplements

• Report Abuse

Posted by moonymom4448 at 09/28/15 16:57:22

Thanks for the link. Yeah, we get that supplements can help, but that doesn't really answer the question I'm asking. I appreciate your response anyway.

He can't be the only person with this issue, can he? Only one response? Okay then.
    We're currently talking to a couple different nutritionists that actually listened to help figure out what combos of actual foods can help keep him healthy while giving him a diverse menu, and without sending him to the hospital.
    Vegans have a love affair with nuts, I swear. Half the nutritionists we spoke that congratulated him on choosing veganism knew exactly jack about how NOT to kill him with the food they kept recommending.

Out of curiosity, would anybody else find the information we're seeking remotely helpful since no one seems to know much about this particular conundrum?

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 09/29/15 06:41:10

moonymom-

Do you consume dairy products? There have been several studies suggesting that dairy products may cause "false allergies" to other foods, or just confusion because nuts and grains are often consumed with milk, cheese or yogurt.

It's not just lactose that is a problem with dairy products, but milk proteins...especially casein.

Also, for many people it's only some varieties of nuts and legumes that cause problems.

Some folks have said that a while after becoming vegan some allergies disappear...after the body adjusts to a healthier diet.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Robinwomb at 10/06/15 03:14:08

I don't have food allergies myself, so I really can't speak to that experience, but I can think of some foods that might help with protein and variety. Some gluten free grains to try include buckwheat groats or buckwheat flour, millet, quinoa, sorghum flour, brown or wild rice. If there is a Whole Foods or other health food store near you or an organic section of a grocery you can usually find the whole grain millet and buckwheat groats in the bulk section, but they can be hard to find in mainstream groceries. Their flour versions are easier to find. These grains provide a good bit of protein. one of my favorite recipes with the buckwheat groats is to soak a half cup of them overnight and in the morning add some banana and cinammon and maybe blueberries to them for a crunchy kind of cereal. There are commercial gluten free nut free cereals like Barbara's brand that are also vegan, but not too high in protein. Green veggies like broccoli and spinach are going to be higher in protein as well, and seeds like chia, flax, hemp, sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin seeds are good sources of protein. You can also find sesame seed butter or tahini, and sunflower butter to use in place of peanut or almond butter. Of course, what to put it on is the challenge right? Food for Life makes a gluten free vegan bread and is usually found in the freezer section as there are no preservatives in it. Or use leafy green wraps. I sometimes make a sauce from sunflower butter (just add a little water and rice vinegar and maybe a pinch of sweetener and ginger) and add it to brown rice with vegetables cooked and added too. The combined seed butter and brown rice plus veggies would provide more than adequate protein and other nutrients. Rice milk would be the choice for plant milk that could give your son some fortified calcium and D. Hemp milk is also another plant milk he could try. There are also protein powders that are vegan made exclusively from brown rice or hemp. Manitoba Harvest makes hemp protein. Growing Naturals is an awesome company that makes brown rice milk powder that is loaded with protein, and brown rice protein powders. It's not cheap though. I use it for camping.

It is highly possible your son may at some point grow out of his allergies. Some people do. There is always hope. I heard they are coming out with a medicine that will allow people with Celiac to consume gluten again as it does something to block whatever gluten does to the body.

A word of advice. If you can afford to, invest in a high speed blender as it will help tremendously! I have a Blendtec. I buy whole grain buckwheat groats and millet, and when I need a flour, I can grind the grains easily in my blender, so I don't have to buy flour AND grains. I can also make smoothies with leafy greens and protein powder and fresh fruits very easily. You can make seed butter also with a high speed blender. It might come in handy for your son. Especially the smoothies. They are a great way to pack in calories, protein, and other nutrients with loads of fresh fruits, veggies, protein powders or seeds without him having to eat a lot of bulk. This is important for a growing child. Also, google "Gluten Free Goddess". She has MANY allergies and has a gluten free vegan/vegetarian section full of recipes that might be of interest to you. Some may have beans and nuts, but I am sure there are ones that don't. I really feel for you. I appreciate that you are trying to be as plant based as possible for you and for your son. all you can do is the best you can. Best wishes!

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 10/06/15 06:00:26

You mentioned that your son is allergic to beans and nuts. What symptoms does their consumption bring on?