Community: Forum: Health & Healing

Vegan Health & Nutrition Discussion Forum

Hi friends,
I have been a pescatarian for 2 years, vegetarian for 6 month and vegan for about a week now. I have never noticed my changing diet effecting my body, but when I cut all animal products from my diet I have been getting severe migraines with nausea and stomach cramps. I am not one to get sick very often. Could it be my body just adjusting to the changes?

Any advice would be lovely.

Responses (10)

Report Abuse

Posted by PlantbasedLucy at 01/25/15 02:23:44

It hasn't been that long so it is probably just detox symptoms :) it's not long enough for you to be deficient in stuff. Maybe just ask for a blood test? and don't mention the veganism to your doctor? It could be old deficiencies from before :)

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 01/25/15 08:20:30

I always make it clear that I've been 99% vegan for the past thirty years and watch their response. More and more health professionals are becoming supportive or at least inquisitive. Then there are the others...

I would never return to a doctor who told me I had to eat meat or dairy products to be healthy.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Vegarina at 01/26/15 19:53:54

Thank you everyone for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated :)

• Report Abuse

Posted by PandaGirl at 01/29/15 13:30:36

Hi,

I found the increase in fibre a bit difficult to handle at first when I went vegetarian, and my stomach protested a bit. Potentially low blood sugar as well if you've been having stomach upsets? Maybe try eating little and often to keep it steady?

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 01/31/15 11:55:35

Pandagirl-

How are you increasing you fiber? I don't recommend any of the processed "high fiber" products that you see on TV.

If you have replaced meat and dairy (which have no fiber) with fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, you should be getting plenty of fiber.

I assume you chew your food well and don't eat overly large meals...

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 01/24/15 15:09:24

A change in diet can trigger a body cleansing that can be uncomfortable. Toxins stored in body fat are released when one loses weight as well.

If the problem persists, of course you should consult a health professional. Hopefully, you can find one who takes a serious interest in diet, and is not opposed to vegan diets.

• Report Abuse

Posted by kimartist at 11/05/15 11:36:33

Do a search for "migraines" and "magnesium deficiency." Making that connection has been a lifesaver for me, especially being postmenopausal, which can also trigger an increase in migraines.

There's a woman/seller on Etsy.com who has developed a magnesium topical cream that I've found enormously helpful, especially for getting rid of a migraine in process. I'm not sure if it's OK to mention her name on here? But if you have difficulty finding her, you can message me on Etsy - I'm kimartist there, too.

One more thing, I've found that even "healthy" diets can be low in trace minerals, since our farmlands are so mineral depleted, which can be a cause for "mysterious" health issues in otherwise healthy people - just sayin' that mineral supplementation can sometimes clear up nagging issues that haven't responded to anything else.

P.S. Unfortunately, increasing fiber intake can increase the stripping of important minerals out of your system. Fiber is good, but too much of anything can do more harm than good. Balance in everything.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 11/06/15 04:15:56

kimartist-

A "healthy" diet, by definition, is not deficient in anything. You are correct about the condition of the soil on 95% or America's "farmland". The simple answer is to eat organic, as local as practical, and/or grow your own food.

• Report Abuse

Posted by kimartist at 11/06/15 09:54:28

I put "healthy" in quotations for a reason! ;)

• Report Abuse

Posted by Robinwomb at 11/06/15 18:48:57

Try eating more. The number one mistake of new vegans is not eating enough, often because they don't know how to replace the animal products they ate before with food that is filling and satiating. Headaches and nausea are a sure sign of not eating enough food. Fruits and vegetables and whole grains will often fill you up long before you have gotten enough calories. Try incorporating more beans, nuts and seeds and nut/seed/peanut butters. Don't avoid healthy fats too much as they are your best friend while you adjust to not getting the fats that come from animals.

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support