Community: Forum: Health & Healing

Vegan Health & Nutrition Discussion Forum

Hi everyone, I am a newbie to the vegan lifestyle. I am borderline diabetic, and I was wondering if the increase of fruit in my diet since transitioning to the vegan lifestyle will have a negative impact on my diabetes, due to the fact that fruit has natural sugars versus processed sugars. Any help with this is always appreciated and thanks in advance for replies.

Responses (8)

• Report Abuse

Posted by RJS at 06/24/15 22:53:12

Definitely worth discussing with your dietician!
    Some fruits are high in sugar and low in nutritional value like grapes and melon but most berries are very nutritious and relatively low in sugar.
    I think in borderline diabetes the priority is controlling calories not sugar though.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 06/25/15 05:37:16

RJS-
    Just like with doctors, lawyers and mechanics, there are "good" dieticians and some not so good.

A great source for info on diet and health (including diabetes) is the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (pcrm.org).

• Report Abuse

Posted by wholefoodsimply at 07/01/15 03:14:27

Paleo Diet would be the best option for you. However, you should consult expert dietician that will help you to know what stuff should you add in your paleo diet.

• Report Abuse

Posted by ahimsa32fa at 07/01/15 05:36:23

wholefoodsimply-

There are very cogent and logical arguments against the "Paleo Diet". A google search under "Problems with Paleo Diet" will reveal some good discussions.

• Report Abuse

Posted by iwanderafar at 07/08/15 06:18:03

There have been more and more studies that show eating fruit for diabetics is actually beneficial. A doctor or dietitian that doesn't follow the current research may tell you to stop eating fruit. He or she would be wrong. Read the research (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov). However, moderation is the key. Eat a balanced diet with a majority of vegetables (or unsweetened fruits like avocado and zucchini) and you'll be fine.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Alyssasmithsweet at 07/12/15 02:58:44

I am not a doctor, however, veggies and fruit are natures medicine. You are always better off eating those 2 things then anything else available. And, I agree with iwanderafar I have seen over and over again where eating fruit is beneficial for diabetics.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Thalassa4 at 11/03/15 00:01:18

Dear whole food simply...how is it so many of you have not got the memo that paleo has been listed as one of the worst diets, even worse than raw

www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/health/best-diets-ranked/

There's no scientific evidence for paleo, it's based in a kind of fantasy world belief about high protein diets and cave men, and loosely tied to the assumption that we evolved because of meat (when cooking food to make nutrients more accessible and caloric density was actually the benefits, things we can easily do now without meat, which in our stage of humanity is doing far more harm than good)...

Paleo trolls. You only feel better because you cut out processed food.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Robinwomb at 11/03/15 02:46:06

A good strategy when eating fruit is to eat it with something like nuts/seeds or a whole grain like oatmeal or brown rice. Those foods will help offset the temporary rise in blood sugar. I will often eat a combination of whole almonds and something like a mango for breakfast and it gives me energy and stamina for my morning workouts and I don't feel an increase and then drop in blood sugar. I remember once eating a bowl of fruit for breakfast and then working out a few hours later and I felt the dreaded blood sugar drop and shakes and it made working out all but impossible. Adding the slower digesting foods really helped.

Natural fruits are loaded with nutrients and are great healthy snacks. I wouldn't cut them out entirely. There are lower sugar fruits like blackberries, lemons, and rhubarb you could try first. Just make sure to include whole grains, beans, nuts and seeds, etc in your diet.