Community: Forum: Health & Healing

Vegan Health & Nutrition Discussion Forum

Hi all, Cataracts are causing significant changes in my vision and my ability to function. I'm planning to get the cataract laser surgery done from See by Intravision in Oakville(seebyiv.com/eye-conditions/cataract/ ). But I recently read an article telling that vegan diets can reduce the risk of cataracts. Has anyone experienced it? Please share your suggestions.

Responses (2)

• Report Abuse

Posted by westcornersville at 10/20/15 18:41:40

There was a study done a few years ago that found that vegetarians and especially vegans were less likely to get cataracts than people who ate meat: http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/cataracts/news/20110420/vegetarians-may-have-lower-risk-of-cataracts

It's just one study, and it doesn't necessarily mean that the vegetarian/vegan diet makes you less likely to get cataracts--it could be that the sample of people in the lower-risk category (vegan or vegetarian) could be doing something else, including diet related (maybe eating specific foods that are good for eye health, like green-leafed vegetables). However, I think it's quite possible this is yet another benefit of a vegan diet.

• Report Abuse

Posted by Robinwomb at 10/21/15 02:37:59

I found the study below regarding a vegetarian diet and reduced risk of cataracts. I personally do not have any eye problems nor do I even wear glasses (which isn't too bad for being 43 years old). I am the sole person on both sides of my extended family who does not require glasses. I would sure like to think the years of being vegan has helped. :) I think cataracts involve more than diet though, but certainly it can help improve health!

ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2011/03/23/ajcn.110.004028.short

Keep HappyCow Growing Strong!

I would like to support