Certified organic vegan restaurant, opened Jun 2013 replacing the previous restaurant Nova. Meals are based on macrobiotic principles with vegetables sourced from its own organic farm as well as other local producers. Smoothies, shakes, teas, coffee and desserts available. English is spoken and on menu. Air-conditioned and non-smoking. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Macrobiotic, Croatian, Western, Bakery, Juice bar

jon active
jon active

good and healthy

Posted on 04 / 29 / 2015

Zrno, is a fancy place with lots of wood and nice decor. The menu is interesting and the food healthy. The price is ok (for 'westerners') but to be honest I was a little disappointed with the food. It lacked lustre and imagination. Don't get me wrong it was good and I enjoyed it, but given how good reviews for this place are and the standard at the other vegan places in Zagreb I expected more.

Pros: healthy organic food, spacious and friendly
Cons: Not cheap
sietsepiets
sietsepiets

five star quality

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2015

When I looked at the menu I wanted to order every single dish on it. In the end, I could taste 4 different dishes thanks to friends and all of them were top class. You can taste it is all very fresh and prepared with a lot of dedication. I wish I had gone back a second time to try more. So good.

Pros: delicious fresh food, friendly staff
juliebug
juliebug

AMAZING

Posted on 02 / 07 / 2015

So happy to have found this place in Happy Cow! This adorable cafe is quite hidden from any main area, and it truly is a diamond in the rough. All vegan, all local, all delicious! I treated myself to a soy cappuccino and a delicious raw vegan apple cake. Made my vacation!

Pros: fresh local food, prices, big menu!

nnemanuela
nnemanuela

Five star no doubt!

Posted on 12 / 16 / 2014

This place in Zagreb was such a positive surprise! I only ate there once and loved absolutely everything. My vegan cream soup, the smoothie, the main dish. It was a rich, sweet delight. Service was great, I waited a bit since they were full, but nothing too long. I felt comfortable eating alone on one of the little side tables for two. Can't remember the price, but it was worth it whatever it cost. I'm definitely coming back there next time I'm in the city.

Pros: vegan food, service, atmosphere
Ryecatcher
Ryecatcher

Zrno

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2014

At Zrno Bio Bistro you can choose to sit either in the fairly big patio or inside. Both options are welcoming.
I had pasta with pesto (it is called green-something pasta), a shake out of soy milk and few other ingredients and some pudding-like dessert.
The pasta was good, it had a decent flavour, although a little bit bland. Quite possible though that I am accustomed to flavour enhancers to such an extend that I am not able to esteem really organic and fresh quality food.
The same holds true for the milk shake which seemed to me a bit bland too.
Yet the creamy pudding/mousse dessert was undistinguished, that's for sure.
For the rest the venue was clean and pleasing and the staff friendly (however, my waiter clocked off at the very same time I finished eating and was waiting for someone to ask for the bill).
I am not completely convinced by Zrno but would recommend it nonetheless.

Pros: great patio, organic, classy (basically everything)
Cons: bland taste, not cheep
TOKENKNW
TOKENKNW

Delicious

Posted on 09 / 27 / 2014

Loved the food here and would not hesitate to go back when I'm next in Zagreb.

rhelune
rhelune

Delicious main dishes; so so cakes

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2014

I've eaten there twice. I've tried breaded tofu, and seitan cordon bleu. They're both delicious, come with tasty sauces, steamed greens and other veggies, and some pickled veggies (sunchoke was interesting). Servings are rather large. The staff is friendly. There's a nice garden with grapevine shade.

I've also tried their cakes: carrot&ginger and lemon&tofu. They are rather bland, and taste - macrobiotic. When I became a vegan, a decade ago, macrobiotic cakes were the only vegan cakes available in Zagreb, so I believed that all vegan cakes must taste like that - bland and a bit weird. When I started baking I realised that vegan cakes can taste how the baker wants them to taste. Zrno's lemon&tofu cake tastes very much like (plain, not silken) tofu. I recommend vegan cakes in Vegehop instead.

Zrno serves no black tea.

The food, and especially drinks, are rather expensive, for Zagreb, and for a bistro. I know the certificates cost money, but organic agriculture is not something I would pay more for.

I really like Zrno's main dishes, and I will visit it again, but I don't think I'll eat any other cake of theirs. 5 cows for main dishes, 3 cows for cakes, average 4 cows.

Pros: delicious main courses, large servings, friendly staff
Cons: expensive, bland cakes, no black tea
mmcgauran
mmcgauran

Delicious organic vegan food

Posted on 12 / 17 / 2013

This restaurant is down a little alley, so the map on Happy Cow was much appreciated! Lovely restaurant setting with big meals. The drinks were delicious (juices and smoothies). Prices were expensive for Croatia but the owner was explaining that everything on their menu is organic, so this probably explains the slightly higher prices. In summary, delicious vegan food. Did not try the desserts, although they looked lovely!

Pros: Friendly staff with good English, Big meal sizes, Delicious food
TiagoOliveira
TiagoOliveira

Friendly vegan restaurant

Posted on 11 / 30 / 2013

I found this bistro during my short stay in Zagreb this summer and they saved my life quite a few times since its not that easy to find a completely vegan restaurant there.

The food was very good but i think that the strong point is the staff sympathy.

Would definitely recomended it to someone who visits Zagreb.

Pros: Staff sympathy, Good vegan dishes
Cons: Slightly expensive
veggieriga
veggieriga

Maybe I picked the wrong item

Posted on 11 / 17 / 2013

I wanted to try the seitan cordon bleu, but they were out of it, so I got the miso udon soup which was supposed to have tofu and tempura vegetables. The tempura vegetables were parsley tempura and were in my soup, making the tempura soggy. I was also disappointed, it was parsley tempura, not vegetables. The soup was quite ordinary tasting and barely had any tofu, and the pieces it had were very tiny. I would give it three stars based on what I had, but I believe I just chose the wrong dish as I looked at what some other people were eating and their food seemed better than mine, so for that reason I will give it an extra star.

acht
acht

Favorite restaurant in Zagreb!

Posted on 08 / 23 / 2013

I was very disappointed to learn that Nova had closed down when I started my research for my Zagreb trip.
Fortunately, a friendly fellow vegan told me about Zrno opening its doors on the VERY same day I arrived in Zagreb.
Of course, I (and my travel buddies) went there the next day and would return two more times.
Every meal I had, was great, made with fresh ingredients, portions were great and I always left the restaurant satisfied!
On my three visits, I had and can recommend the warm Kayu sandwich with sweet potato fries, the seitan cordon bleu (more like stuffed seitan rolls really) with leafy greens and the macro plate (grains, vegetables, seaweed etc).
I also loved the apple cake with oat milk and chocolate cream topping and the rich chocolate cake.
Service was attentive and friendly, the owner was present and made sure all guests felt well take care of. We even got free starters and dessert on one of our visits!
There was no nervousness or slow service, which is something I could have forgiven since it was their opening week.
Unfortunately they were not open for dinner while I was there but it seems they stay open until 8 pm now.
Prices seemed appropriate for the high quality of food offered. Actually, a main menu for around 7 Euro is extremely affordable.
Nice garden, too.
Can you tell I love this place?

Pros: friendly staff, central location, small but creative menu

Dear Owner and Manager of Zrno Bio Bistro: