Takeaway vegetarian food shop. Providing vegan American comfort foods like mock buffalo chicken cheese steak, soy rib tip wrap, chicken nuggets, tangy mango tofu, and teriyaki steak. Also salads, fruit smoothies, and desserts. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, Southern, Fast food, Delivery, Take-out only
7945 N Tryon St Unit 110 (Gold Hill Pavilion beside Wal-Mart)
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704-595-9170

Open Tue-Sat 11:30am-8:30pm, Sun 12-7pm, closed Mon.

First Review by jjamie79
Jormadus
Jormadus

Best vegan food!!!

5 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2014

We drove from Greenville, SC to Charlotte to eat at a vegan restaurant, so glad we found this place!!! Such friendly people from the minute we walked in. Best vegan food by far!!! We are driving back next week just to eat there again, it's that good!!! Love it!!!

Pros: Best food, Great service, Best food
mamadukes55
mamadukes55

ZiZi's Take Out

4 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2014

Love their non-chcken sandwiches. Great thanksgiving meal, will do it again this year for thanksgiving!!

blackbutterfly
blackbutterfly

Love the food

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2014

We were surfing the internet for great vegan food and WOW this place is great!!! the food is fresh and full of flavor it's like eating vegan soul food. We drive about 20 miles to eat here at least once a week.. You have to try this food See you next week!! :)))

JuniorStarkes
JuniorStarkes

BEST IN CHARLOTTE

5 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2014

The food is mmm mmm good #1 I had different variety of there food It always leave me with a smile. They cook when you order so if you in a rush call it in. There rib tip wrap, rib tip dinner and chicken philly cheese sandwiches is very tasted.
Updated from previous review on Monday July 14, 2014

emmyleemarie123
emmyleemarie123

Favorite place to eat!!

5 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2014

I tried Zizi's for the first time at Taste of Charlotte last year and fell in love on the spot. I was really disappointed that they weren't there this year because I was hoping to try more things that I haven't had yet. I have been vegetarian for 3 years now. I grew up in up-state NY where the eating of chicken wings is almost religious so needless to say, it was one of the more difficult foods for me to give up. When I tried the buffalo "chicken" wings at Zizi's, I finally felt like a hole had been filled. These "chicken" wings tasted better to me than some real chicken wings I've had. I haven't been to Zizi's in a while but my birthday is this month and it's the only thing I plan on asking for.

Pros: meat substitutes taste like real deal
Cons: Don't deliver everywhere in Charlotte
ClearlyDemented
ClearlyDemented

Good!

5 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2014

Only been there once when I was at UNC-C for something. I will definitely go again when I'm in the area. Good food, good service. Like supporting vegan local restaurants. Would definitely call ahead as we got there shortly after they opened and were behind several other orders.

MikeHealthierEats
MikeHealthierEats

Eater Beware

2 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2014

Better places to get quality, healthy vegan meals. Luna's Living Kitchen shames this place. But, you *may* be able to select healthier menu items. Personally, I'd rather have something as far removed from McBarffles as possible but some still crave junk food.

Pros: Trying
Cons: Greasy Items, Salty, Sugar
PixieMel
PixieMel

8 Thumbs Up

4 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2014

My family of 4 approves. We had the Hot Tofu sandwich, Philly cheese, buffalo chkn, spicy southwest burger, and pumpkin cheesecake. It was all very delicious. They were big! So we're all satisfied and full.

We will return when we visit Charlotte again.

Pros: Filling, Flavorful
Farmaroundthebend
Farmaroundthebend

delicious all vegan food!

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2013

My husband and I split the avocado salad, buffalo "chicken" wrap and the "fish" and chips. The avocado salad was huge and had an entire avocado on it, the buffalo mock chicken wrap was huge and delicious and the fried "fish" tasted just like fried fish...craziness. The fish & chips were a little greasy but we were the ones who ordered an entirely fried entree so that was to be expected. The menu looked pretty big, there's only one table inside- it's a takeout place. Oh! We also got a brownie and it was great. I liked the informative vegan info all over the walls, overall a great place. It's a little hard to find- it's back in a shopping plaza behind a hibachi restaurant- the awning is labeled "vegetarian take out" and Zi-Zis is only labeled on the door.

Pros: vegan, large selection , mock meats and also fresh salads
Cons: smells a little greasy from fried foods, no public restroom, a little tricky to find
niawilliams
niawilliams

OMG!!

5 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2013

For those who are considering going vegetarian, are new vegetarians, or who are vegetarians that still have those foods that they miss....THIS is the place to go! My boyfriend took me here before I became vegetarian and I fell in LOVE! Their philly cheese steak sandwich and buffalo chicken sandwich are AMAAAAZING!! I have had some nightmares with some restaurants that have their meat "substitutes" but no, I love Zizi's. I would LOVE for them to get a spot in south charlotte. They're all the way in university area but its worth the travel!!

Pros: amazing food, friendly staff, did i mention amazing food?
Cons: only one location (but worth the travel), not easy to find for first time visitors
natachac
natachac

ZiZi's: Great Vegan Takeout

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2013

We tried ZiZi's a few months back - are now committed customers - and love it! The food (only takeout) is delicious and prepared fresh after orders are placed. You can make requests that differ a bit from the quite varied menu. You will not be disappointed in the taste or the prompt service. The desserts are tasty and all of the food is reasonably priced. Also, if you plan ahead and want a cake, you may order one several days in advance!

Pros: Great value, Excellent food, Helpful staff
Cons: Wish there was one closer!
Ringler
Ringler

zizi's

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2013

We enjoyed our meal from Zizi's. There was a very extensive menu. Lots of subs, burgers and wraps and some more dinner type entrees as well. We were there for lunch so opted for a few of the subs/wraps. We tried 5 different options and they were all good. We had a couple of smoothies and some dessert which were tasty as well. A place to sit would have been nice but we worked it out. There were only 2 people working which caused a bit of a delay but it was worth the wait.

Pros: excellent food, good variety , friendly staff
Cons: takeout only
greenhexi
greenhexi

Food blunt, wrapping not sustainable

2 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2012

Fries come in an aluminum bowl... I had one of the burgers with it which turned out to be a piece of bread (like a sub) with not much on in. Dry and blunt. Had to sit by the road to eat as there was only one tbale in the place.

Cons: Aluminum fries box, Food taste
myra975
myra975

Great Food from Great People

5 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2012

The family & I were in the area visiting IKEA in Charlotte and were hoping to find vegan food in the area & we were really happy & to have found Zizi's Take Out on HappyCow.net!! The menu was amazing from subs, burgers to salads and wraps - everything we had was really yummy. The Southern Style Tempeh was delish with the mac & cheese and collard greens as well as the "Fish & Chips". The chocolate cake and the pumpkin cheesecake hit the spot!! We came back the same day & picked up some food to take back home with us! The staff was friendly and patient while we placed our order. Check them out!! Call ahead to place your order if you are short on time as dishes are cooked to order.
Updated from previous review on Sunday December 09, 2012

Pros: Great Menu, Friendly Staff, Great Portions
BrittBrat23
BrittBrat23

Must Try for New Vegans!!

5 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2012

I tried Zizi's for the first time yesterday & fell in love!! I am new to the Vegan lifestyle & the food here is delicious!! I had the Chicken Cheese Steak, it was sooooo good!! I will definitely add this to the top of my vegan list! Loved it!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 23, 2012

Pros: Delicious meals, Friendly staff, Good prices
Wibachinski
Wibachinski

Good for a greasy vegan fix

4 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2012

Zizi's is takeout only, which is a bit of a bummer, but the food is great for a deep fried, fast food like taste. The menu is mostly mock meat products but they are all prepared very well. There are also some stir fry and curry options, but these aren't as strong as their fake meat sandwhiches and chicken nuggets. The owner can be a bit unfriendly sounding on the phone, but they are nice in person. Make sure to call ahead or you'llbe waiting for a while!

Pros: Tasty , Good mock meat
Cons: Unfriendly, Not very healthy, Takeout only
  • Heru Mer Heru Mer

My bad. At times, I have a firm tone that may appear unfriendly. I mean no harm. I'm a product of my environment and a work in progress. I love what I do and happy to share with all of you. Peace & Blessings:)

lsimmons2006
lsimmons2006

Really Happy

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2012

Today was my first time going to ZiZi after reading all the reviews. Though, I saw some negative ones, I felt you cant please them all. So I decided to try it for myself. I was really happy with my food. I ordered the buffalo cheesestake and was pleasently surprised. I also tried the cheesecake....AWESOME... and I was veryyyy HAPPY to know that they will be offering cooking classes, showed me that they care about new vegaterians (like myself) and their quest to live healthier lives. I will be there again.

Pros: Lots of menu options, good food, easy to transition
Cons: only one place in charlotte
pentagoth79
pentagoth79

Great, Fast, Vegan Food!

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2011

We were on the road when we found this charming place. The staff was friendly. There is a good variety of food to pick from on the menu. We got the "fish" sandwich and buffalo "chicken" cheese steak and mac n cheese. All were delicious! We didn't wait that long for our order.
They let us sit in the waiting area to eat but it's really a take-out place. It would be nice if they could add a little table. We were on the road so it was convenient to eat inside.

Pros: tasty, fast, good variety
Cons: no seating
Rosaleen Dhu
Rosaleen Dhu

Truly awesome!

5 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2011

My husband and I went for the Saturday brunch special - cinnamon strawberry french toast, scrambled tofu, sausage and grits. Everything was completely amazing! We both gobbled up the generous portions and were very very happy. We can't wait to go back, and next time get a few of the frozen meals for later. Great for omnivores too! The gentleman at the counter was very nice, the price very reasonable and I really can't say "delicious" enough. I only wish it was closer! :D

Pros: wonderful food, generous portions, many choices
KrisDuVall
KrisDuVall

Awesome!

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2011

While I wouldn't consider their food super healthy, it's all vegan and I was super happy with what I tried. I tried their faux fish sandwich, and it was one of the best things I've ever tasted. Yes, it's a small location that isn't that obvious to find, but those kind of "holes in the wall" are always amazing finds. Plus, they said that it has been said that their carob cake is the best ever, and they are right! Can't wait to go back when my boyfriend and I visit his sister again.

Pros: all vegan menu, knowledgeable employees, amazing food!
Cons: far from where I live, not health food
shirleyeugest
shirleyeugest

crispy "chicken" wrap-YUM!

5 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2011

I have only been to ZiZi's once, but I can't wait to go back! I had the crispy chicken wrap and french fries, and both were delicious! I don't know what kind of fake chicken they use, but it is the best I have ever tasted, and it really was crispy. I am so exited about having a vegan fast food place conveniently located in the university area. it is hard to find the first time because it is hidden in a little shopping center and is not listed on the sign in front, but you won't forget where it is once you have eaten there!

Pros: good food, good value, all vegan
Cons: takeout only, closes early, hard to find
fbarnes
fbarnes

OMG!! Good Food!!

5 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2011

My daughter and I are very slowly switch over to the vegan life style. She was except to NC Charlotte and I was looking for a store like whole foods, which I was unable to fine. But I did fine ZIZI's, and the food was excellent!! OMG! if I can make some of this food I can definitely do vegan.. FOOD was so good!!.. I may just take the 7 hour drive back down the Charlotte next month to get some more food..

Pros: vegan, good food, cost
Cons: too far, not clearly displayed
AnandaBabaji
AnandaBabaji
  • raw

Disappointing, I'm sorry to say

2 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2011

I had the lentil loaf dinner, came with steamed broccoli and cabbage (the melody mash was not available). I expected a lot more for the $10. price. and I had hoped for something a little more creative. It was very bland. Can't say much more about it... only had the one dish. But I don't think I'll be going back.

brattycatts
brattycatts

You guys have NO idea how lucky you are!

5 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2010

I live in Pennsauken NJ, your Zizi's used to be 5 min from MY house!!! And he sold and moved to you!!! The new owners here, did keep the same menu which was GREAT because for my family of vegetarians it WAS our yummie take out food...Well now those owners CLOSED!!!! We are left with NOTHING! Zizis has AWESOME food!! if you want whole foods, more veggies, cook yourself! Zizis is a take out food joint for us "VEGETARIANS" that the rest of the food world looks down on!! Us "former" meat eaters want the fake nugget and cheese steak, and Zizis makes the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COME BACK TO JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros: excellent food, healthy, FRIENDLY
Cons: not in jersey, not in jersey, not in jersey
  • Marti91257 Marti91257

Hey Brattycats - they come to the ACUA Earthday Festival every year - tried the Kale Salad yesterday... thought I'd died and gone to heaven... it was amazing!!! Make a point to visit the festival next year on Delilah Road in Egg Harbor Township http://www.acua.com/acua/index.aspx

Elle99
Elle99

What a great place!

5 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2010

ZiZi's is a hidden gem in Charlotte! The main entree was wonderful and the dessert was just as good. I ordered the Italian sausage sub and the carrot cake today. Both items were very flavorful and the portions sizes are hearty. Can't wait to go back!

msmayz
msmayz

Mediocre food, mostly mock meats - disappointing

2 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2010

I'm surprised to see all the glowing reviews here, although I'm happy that others have enjoyed their food at Zizi's. :) As a vegan who lives in Charlotte, I'll give Zizi's props for being our only true vegan restaurant; however, there are too many downsides to warrant going back.

First, the location is terrible. Not only is the actual restaurant hard to find from the road, but it's located 6 miles north of the city, way out in Corporate Walmart Consumer Land. There's no public transit nearby, and it's a very unsafe area for cyclists and pedestrians. You *must* drive a car to get there.

Second, the menu is 90% mock meat; for us, that's a huge downside. My spouse (also vegan) and I eat a whole-foods-based diet and are frankly pretty grossed out by faux chicken, beef, steak, fish, ribs, and wings. Just look at the menu to see what I mean.

Another reviewer below describes Zizi's menu perfectly: "FRIED FLAVORFUL VEGAN FOOD. It comes in all the traditional forms that a Southern American is used to... replace[s] my old stops at WingZone, Bojangles, or Showmars."

For us, strike three was the actual food. Not fans of mock meat, we compromised and ordered the Philly cheese steak (which, sadly, was dry and flavorless), the avocado sub (served on soggy, cold, anemic, refined white bread), and a walnut brownie (which was surprisingly moist and excellent). So on top of the horrible venue and "meat"-laden menu, the food wasn't even good. Maybe we hit Zizi's on an off night; what a disappointment.

Another minor annoyance was that the spacey girl who took our order, upon hearing we're vegan, told us *at length* about how she still eats dairy. Talk about inappropriate!

Some people dislike that Zizi's is take-out only. We don't mind that, so no points docked there.

But look, I get it: If I were visiting CLT from out of town, I would be ecstatic that Zizi's exists. In that scenario, I'd probably have a rental car and would be unfamiliar with CLT's good ethnic restaurants; so, naturally, Zizi's would be the perfect solution. However, I do live in CLT and know that there are sooo many amazing vegan options at other restaurants (Lang Van, Woodlands, Ru San's, Meskerem) that absolutely blow Zizi's out of the water.

So although Zizi's is 100% vegan, given its downsides, I can't give it more than two stars. If they'd get a better location (closer to the city and public transit) and add more whole-foods-based items to the menu, we'd go back. But for now it's a no-go.

Pros: 100% vegan menu
Cons: Horrible location, really out of the way, Mostly mock meats, not whole-foods-based, Mediocre food
  • msmayz msmayz

Hey kindlizard, why don't you leave that same comment on other reviews below, which have clearly ALSO mentioned other eateries? You're not a mod. Unless the actual mods have a problem with my review, I'm not going to change it. People need to know about the better vegan options in Charlotte.

• andy42 andy42

Zizi's is certainly a mock-meat-dominant menu. They're not a veggie/raw-food focused place, so to criticize them for being something they're not is somewhat tantamount to giving them a bad review for not having burgers and milk shakes. If you don't like mock meat, there's not a whole lot at Zizi's for you... but the vegan options you mention are all heavily ethnic food (good ones at that) -- but a totally different food experience. I agree about the location though, but with such a small vegan population here in Charlotte, it's understandable that they couldn't afford the rent of a fancier shopping center.

• VeganJustin VeganJustin

Did you even look at the menu before ordering?
    I'm going to list the veggies and fruits that are clearly available, either in menu items, or as sides:
    Kale, Cabbage, Carrots, Broccoli, Mushrooms, Tomato, Potato, Red Pepper, Green Pepper, Garbanzo Beans, Rutabaga, Parsnips, Celery, Field Greens, Avocado, Onion, Olive, Cucumber, Zucchini, Black Beans, Sweet Potato, Mango, Pineapple, Blueberry, Strawberry, and Banana. Out of all of that, you chose a brownie, a "mock meat" sub, and one veggie sub and you complained about lack of a "whole-foods based menu"? your complaints baffle me.
    plus you compared an American-style take out restaurant with a 100% vegan menu to a Vietnamese, an Indian, and sushi restaurants. i don't think that's a fair comparison at all considering only ONE is 100% vegetarian, and all of them only offer some select vegan options.
    Having a bad experience with your meal, and sharing your bad experience here is totally the whole point of this site. but when you bash the restaurant as a whole with unfounded complaints, then your review looses a lot of it's credibility.
    i would encourage others to try Zizi's for themselves, and to ignore msmayz bad review.

• VeganJustin VeganJustin

also about public transit, there are C.A.T.S. stops on both sides of N. Tryon, just a block away by Wal-Mart.

• kindlizard kindlizard

per guidelines, refrain from mentioning other eateries.

Jaelus
Jaelus

A vegan oasis

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2010

ZiZi's was a real life saver when my wife and I (both vegan) vacationed in the Charlotte area. We ate here twice a day for the whole trip and were able to sample quite a bit of the menu. While it's only a take-out counter so you can't really sit in and have a meal, that's easily overlooked as everything is absolutely delicious!

Pros: Friendly staff, Excellent food, Great variety
  • msmayz msmayz

As a vegan who lives in Charlotte, I can say with certainty that there are lots of really amazing vegan options here other than this mediocre, out-of-the-way takeout place. Glad you enjoyed it, though, and I hope you had a good trip!

andy42
andy42

Great

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2010

very extensive vegan menu -- rivals that of some hard core "mock meat" places in NYC... only cons are that it's a bit off the beaten path, and service is a bit slow. but the payoff is the excellent food.

hoffmans2
hoffmans2

Very Filling

5 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2010

This is the most filling vegan food I've ever had. I am NEVER able to finish what I get, even if it's just one wrap!

Occasionally, they offer a weekend brunch special featuring tofu scramble, veggie ham, grits, and blueberry pancakes. It is totally worth it!

The carob shake is delicious. The sweet tea is amazing. The 'crispy chicken' wrap usually hits the spot. They also have an amazing salad called the Spicy Tofu Salad. That's a great choice for those who are naive about eating realistic faux meat products.

Mitch
Mitch

Great food at Zizi's

5 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2010

Zizi's is a hidden gem in NE Charlotte. It is definitely worth the effort to find this place. The food is totally vegan and absolutely out of sight! Try it!

LorenHart
LorenHart

Zizi's is zee bomb!

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2010

I just had my first Zizi's experience! I had the Veggie Stir-fry. It was delicious and healthy! I look forward to having this again, and to trying their many other appetizing offerings.

Pros: Super tasty, Good for the body and mind, Pleasant atmosphere
sovaydesitges
sovaydesitges

Best Vegan takeout anywhere

5 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2010

Mel is awesome. His food is fantastic. Vegan friends come from Raleigh to eat here. omnivore friends love it too. it's all delicious and good for you

Pros: vegan, excellent food, Mel = owner=tres cool
la_de_dah
la_de_dah

I Highly Recommend ZiZi's Take Out!

5 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2010

My fiance and I just had Zizi's for the first time and I am totally impressed. It was better than I thought it would be. I have seen vegan places mess up these kind of menu choices, but Zizi's really has it down. The food is delicious. I had the cheese steak and my fiance had the italian sausage sub. So good. Am very happy that Charlotte has this wonderful resource.

Pros: Decent prices, Delicious food, Mock meats done right
sleepydvdr
sleepydvdr

Vegan heaven!

5 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2010

Today was my first trip. This place is take-out only (no tables to sit at).

I had the Cajun Tofu Strips and the Philly Cheesesteak. The Tofu Strips had a very good flavor, but they were not overpowering. The Cheesesteak was just plain delicious. My friend's wife got the Fish & Chips. I tried a bite of the fish and I thought it tasted like fish, but she said it didn't taste like fish.

The people running the place (I assume they are the owners) were friendly and down to earth. I will definitely be going back for more.

Pros: Excellent food, Nice portions, Decent prices
hblake
hblake

Just OK

3 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2010

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have an all vegan restaurant in Charlotte. However, I'm not going to sing praises just because they're all vegan. Overal the food is okay at best and a waste of money on some entrees. I will give their Come Back Wings a major A+, the best I've had anywhere. The buffalo chicken subs are decent but where are the veggies? The entrees are largely lacking in flavor with the exception of the chicken tenders with fries and BBQ sauce.
I also have a bit of a problem with Zizi's marketing this as healthfood! While it's perhaps better then the omni versions this just isn't health food people!

Pros: all vegan, quick
Cons: out of the way, not a consistently good menu
  • msmayz msmayz

So true! Thanks for this honest review.

peaceinsanedude
peaceinsanedude

YOU HAVE TO GO HERE

5 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2010

This is a vegan and vegetarian MUST. I have no idea hpw I was vegan for 5 years without this place! haha. its that good. My entire family ordered from here we had Philly cheese steaks, buffalo chick cheese steak, grilled veggie sub, fish and chips, honey bbq wings, and EVERYTHING was great. I am soo impressed. I live 45 minutes away so the only bad thing is that I dont have a place to eat it since it is only take-out. but they deliver! 45 minutes away! cant wait to go back! LOVE IT

bunnyboo
bunnyboo

I was more than impressed!

5 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2010

As a vegetarian (aspiring vegan), it's so refreshing to be able to look at the menu and choose literally anything that I want! At most restaurants I need to read every single last detail about the dish to make sure it was okay for me to eat, but the safety of the all vegan promise is enough for me to write a raving review about this place. That on top of the great food makes me a loyal customer. I had the chicken parmless and I didn't stop 'til there was nothing left, and I tasted the eggplant curry that I got my boyfriend and it was amazing and spicy. The honey BBQ wings were fantastic, better than the real thing! My grandma couldn't even tell the difference between the chicken in her chicken salad and real chicken. The man there was friendly and upbeat, and not only that, he got our big order out FAST and was chipper as he was doing it. A++!

Pros: Great food!, Most expensive thing on the menu is $10!, Lots of food for your money!
Cons: Soo far away. =(, More wings please!
annabeth
annabeth

all-vegan deliciousness

5 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2009

I got take-out dinner here on my way out of Charlotte and can now add my approval to the rave reviews ZiZi's has received on here. I got the avocado salad and parmless chicken with brown rice and veggies. The salad was very fresh and loaded with fresh veggies and plenty of avocado slices...most people jip you on the avocado but not here! The chicken dish was quite amazing...great flavor and very filling in a healthy way =) Came with steamed cabbage/broccoli/zucchini/squash and brown rice. They also had several vegan brownies and carrot cake to go...didn't have room for them but they looked delicious. I highly recommend this place, especially if you're on the north side of Charlotte.

Pros: very tasty, friendly service, quick
Cons: far from downtown, difficult to find
SincereZoe
SincereZoe

EXCELLENT food, GREAT prices, and NICE People!

5 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2009

I was visiting the Charlotte area, and was searching for a Vegan or Vegetarian restaurant. As always, I come to this GREAT community here a Happy Cow and learned of ZiZi's.

The location is kind of far from where I was staying (Belmont) but the food was worth the drive. I ordered the Hot Wings, No Honey BBQ Wings, Tempeh Steaks Entree, and the Philly Chicken Hoagie. My mate isn't vegan/vegetarian and has no desire to be but she loved the Philly Chicken Hoagie so much that I barely got to taste it.

The wings were GREAT (I loved the sauce on both). I've not tried the Tempeh Steaks Entree as of yet, but will do so today and report back with an update.

Desserts: I also ordered the Chocolate Brownie which my mate and I both LOVED. Once again, I almost didn't get to taste it :-) I've not tried the carrot cake yet but will report back with that along with the Tempeh entree.

Merv, thanks for the help with the directions and your sense of humor. Also, please say thanks to the young lady that assisted me in choosing my selections. I'll definitely be back and probably SOONER than you think. Lastly, I wish you the best of success and hope you're able to expand. You've got a great thing going!

Takeem

Pros: Diverse Menu, Great Prices, Nice People
Cons: Carry Out Only, No Public Restroom
ryanstachurski
ryanstachurski

Tasty

5 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2009

Only place for veggie comfort food in Charlotte. Lots of mock meat options. The only reason we won't be here daily is because of the loaction.

Pros: menu, price
Cons: location, decor
NatureGirl215
NatureGirl215

Spirit in the Food

5 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2009

When I was younger, my mom used to tell me to be careful of who does your hair & who cooks your food because of the energy that goes in it. Well I don't have to worry about that with Chef Mer & his staff because there's ALWAYS good energies when you go in. He really puts positive vibes in dishes such as the Buffalo Wings, the Fish & Chips, & the one close to my heart, the Philly cheesesteak. This is the kind of food & energy I'm used to from leaving Philly. To Chef Mer & the staff of Zizi's, thank you for bringing me back home.

Pros: clean, awesome menu, best energies
Cons: location
myh
myh

OFF TO A FLYING START!!!!

5 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2009

OMG...went to zizi's tonight on s. tryon here in charlotte. The food was completely and most assuredly the best vegan food I have had here in Charlotte. It rivals that of back home in both Portland and Seattle. I am so elated to have a place of our own now. EVERYONE>>>GO TO ZIZI's, do not miss this delectable treat of fabulous food.

Pros: order came quickly, very well priced, very vegan atmosphere
Cons: only one location...so far, no dine in facility, they didn't open sooner, lol (sarcasm)
2GrayDogs
2GrayDogs

Fantastic!

5 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2009

We are so thrilled with the great food at Zizi's!! There's a little bit of everything; you can get a healthy steamed meal or a slightly greasy, delicious sub. The food spans from Asian fusion to traditional American.
So far I've tasted 5 menu items and each one was fantastic. I can't wait to try everything on the menu!
This place is not just for vegan/vegetarians. I fed Zizi's to several omnivores who were so pleasantly surprised at how yummy everything was. They couldn't believe the "chicken" was faux chicken.
Please check them out...this is my new favorite restaurant in Charlotte!

Pros: Amazing food, Great Selection, Diverse Menu
Cons: Take out only
OceanDeep
OceanDeep

Replaces ALL FRIED MEATS(WingZone, Bojangles, etc)

5 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2009

I went vegan cold turkey about 3 months ago. I haven't looked back since but as a southern, product of black cultural influence, I really really used to love fried food (chicken, fish, shrimp, etc). Typically I try to eat raw or steamed but I must have a fried treat here and there still & ZiZi's really gives me exactly what I was looking for...FRIED FLAVORFUL VEGAN FOOD. It comes in all the traditional forms that a Southern American is used to so there is NO EXCUSE for not converting, you can have it all with a place like Zizi's. I'll take a trip to Zizi's to replace my old stops at WingZone, Bojangles, or Showmars.

I saw vegetable tempura on the Zizi's site slide show, but its not on the menu at the Charlotte location. I really recommend it be added because I would love to eat fried without having to go for the soy meat every time. Also where is that cheese cake I saw on the site :-P Cheese cake was also another of my old favs would LOVE it in vegan form.

The other thing I love about Zizi's is that they are actually VEGAN not just lacto/ovo vegetarian. I have been to other "vegetarian" places in Charlotte and I was so paranoid about eating dairy or eggs by mistake. I had to ask about everything on the menu first. At Zizi's I can just have a field day ordering whatever looks good to me and know its 100% animal product free.

Will blab my mouth about Zizi's to everyone so they know to go try it out :-)

Pros: 100% Vegan, Vegan Forms of American Favorites, FRIED GOODNESS
Cons: not in a central location, no delivery option, I got shorted 1 chicken wing
lovebeingaveg
lovebeingaveg

I love Zizi's!!

5 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2009

I have been to Zizi's twice now and each time was more than impressed! The first time there we showed up less than five minutes until closing and the woman still made our food, did not complain and was very helpful! I went back today after getting their e-newsletter about General Tso's Chicken and it was incredible! My fiance is not even a vegetarian and usually despises everything I eat but he has eaten there twice with me and is also impressed! Today I tried their Brownie Madness Desert.. amazing!!! This is hands down THE best vegetarian spot I have ever found in my 3 years of being a vegetarian. Thank you Zizi's for amazing food and outstanding service!!! Can't wait to come back! My only wish is that I lived closer!!

Pros: Delicious, Big Portions, Friendly staff
GinaKina
GinaKina

Vegan Love

4 Posted on 06 / 10 / 2009

We've only been once, but we already love this place. Good food, relatively healthy food, nice owner, great newsletter, etc.

We didn't know when they closed, and showed up 10 minutes beforehand (they close at 7 and aren't open on Sundays, if you were wondering), ordering a bunch of food and dessert, and the owner didn't even bat an eyelash. Our food was hot, perfectly cooked, and yummy. I had the tofu curry, which was good, but my husband had the chicken parmless which was even better. We both had dessert, he had a brownie, which was really good, I had the carrot cake which was faaabulous (and I am a carrot-cake snob). The prices may seem a tad high for take-out, but you get a lot of food.

It is only take-out which kind of stinks, but as long as you know ahead of time its not a big deal. Although at least a picnic table would be nice, but that's the only possible downside.

Pros: friendly staff, good value, excellent food
Cons: hours, no seating, price
  • lovebeingaveg lovebeingaveg

I was just there last month and today for the first two times.. .and there is a picnic bench! :-)

Camel
Camel

THANK YOU ZIZI'S!

5 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2009

What delicious, good healthy food. Everything is just so fresh and made to order. When traveling, trying to find vegan food is never easy. We found Zizi's and hit the mother lode! The grilled chicken salad was awesome. The BBQ Tofu with brown rice, Soy Chicken nuggets, and Avocado salad were delicious. The piece de resistance was the Coconut Chocolate Cake! Really, really good! I wish we had a Zizi's in Bergen County. If you are lucky enough to be anywhere near Zizi's you must try it. You "WILL" love this food!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value
swampa6
swampa6

Zizi's is AWESOME & AFFORDABLE!

5 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2008

Proprietor Myrrh comes up with phenominal tasting recipies! The food is JUST SOOOOO GOOD and with the economy the way it is, i can still afford to get over there about once or twice a week. If i lived closer it would be more! The subs are the same price you would pay at a standart sub shop but without the cholesterol, etc. You would expect to pay so much more.
EVERYTHING tastes GREAT...but i have to say my favorites are Myrrh's MAC & "CHEESE" and the chicken wings! UNBELIEVABLE and so filling for the price.
It is also great to know there is a place in the area you can go anytime you have a craving for sweets. Zizi's offers All Kinds of desserts - such as german chocolate cake, carrot cake, cheese cake and MORE.
Do yourself a favor and get on their email list so that you can receive the daily specials along with interesting facts about vegetarian/veganism from Myrrh.

Pros: healthy, excellent quality food, affordable
trishsteinhauer
trishsteinhauer
  • non-vegetarian

It doesn't get any better than this !

5 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2008

I am not vegetarian but love good food and this is the best ! Everything is fresh and tasty- never a disappointment-the price points are great and the servings are generous ! Some of my coworkers who are vegeatarian are just blown away by this place- we are working our way through the entire Zizi menu and again-never a disappointment - I wish I could say what our favorites are but we can't -ITS ALL GOOD ! The staff is really nice too !

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent value, healthy cuisine
futhepharmer
futhepharmer

my belly's savior

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2008

This is MUST have Vegan fare. I simply could not survive the work week without my Zizi's. All styles of mock meats done with absolute tastiness! From subs and wraps (one of our favorites is the "Sesame Citrus Rib Tip wrap") to entree style dinners (Broccoli and Beef Bro!) everything we've tried is delicious (and we've tried a good sampling). Zizi's has started some daily specials (the General Tso's Chicken was fantastic!) and has recently (as of June 2nd) increased operating hours to 7 days a week 11AM to 7PM which is supremely awesome for everyone! Thanks Zizi's...you make our bellys very happy! Spread the Love!

Pros: excellent food, great value, friendly staff
Cons: take out only
JusticeNow
JusticeNow

Incredible Vegan food at great prices!

5 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2008

As a long time veg*n, I've tried a lot of different restaurants in the area and in Philly - and Zizis is HANDS DOWN the best veg*n food out there! EVERYTHING I've ordered on the menu has been delicious - the chicken cheese steak, the chicken tenders, chicken n' broccoli, chicken parmless sub (omg that one is especially delicious), the brownies, the cheesecake, the cajun tofu strips....the list goes on. Especially AMAZING was the General Tso's Chicken served as a "special" - (Zizi's if you are reading this: please put it on the menu to stay!! It is deadly good.)
Can't sing Zizi's praise enough - I am so thankful they are here for all us south jersey veg*ns!!!
Thanks ZIZI's!!!

Pros: Delicious food, Great prices, Excellent service
outofkeyxsr
outofkeyxsr

Amazing!

5 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2008

Everything I've tried here so far has been awesome! The buffalo wings are by far my favorite though! You should definitely try it out though!

Pros: Fast, Friendly, excellent food!
Cons: Hours are fairly small, Closes during bad weather, call ahead
jjamie79
jjamie79

Great Food, Great Price

5 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2007

This is the best vegan place in the area. Everything I have tried there is awesome with the exception of the vegan cheese. Even my picky children love the food! You have got to try the brownies; you'll be hooked.

Pros: great food, great value, friendly service
Cons: take-out only

Dear Owner and Manager of ZiZi's Take Out: