CLOSED: Zilli Green

Note: Currently relocating, veg dishes from the menu are available at Zilli Fish restaurant. Food there will be cooked by Zilli Green Head Chef to ensure the quality of the meals. Please call 0207437 4867 for more information or to make a reservation. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, International

First Review by KATIE H
veganmiss
veganmiss

Good Dinner

4 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2011

While wandering around Soho trying to find a good veggie place for dinner, I ran into a newer vegetarian restaurant that was not there three years ago. It is called Zilli. There was the restaurant and they have a smaller cafe next to it. The food was really good, but the service was awful. To begin, I had organic bread with olive oil and hummus and a mixed green salad. For entree, I had tofu sausage with spring onion mash, mushroom gravy, and mushy peas. To finish, I had organic tofu & limoncello cheesecake with chocolate ice cream.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/10/vegan-london-part-three.html

tesh13
tesh13

Adventurous mix

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2011

Have been to Zilli Green two times now and whilst i still like the food the restaurant has gone somewhat downhill recently. A supposedly "optional" service charge which is anything but optional and more pressure from the staff to turn the tables over as fast as possible. That said, what hasnt gone downhill is the food..from starters to dessert absolutely love it. Thoroughly recommend the place, even if the service is lacking

Pros: excellent food, good portions, varied choice
Cons: service, crowded
Saddler
Saddler

Good food, well presented

5 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2011

I visited Zilli Green for the first time last week, a Wednesday in February, with my wife who is vegan. I had been intrigued by the mixed nature of the reviews, ranging from excellent to mediocre. Our experience was very good indeed, with really tasty food served in an attractive manner and with plenty of choice for vegans even amongst the desserts. My wife is still praising the tagliatelle with truffles after almost a week. My choice of burger was less adventurous as a main course and was fine, although I wish I had been more adventurous. Even on a midweek day in winter, the place was pretty crowded even before 7pm, so it is advisable to book. My only quibble was that they put an "optional" tip on the bill and, for us at least, did not point it out. Although it is described as optional, it stays by default, which I thought a little shabby. But, otherwise, highly recommended.

Pros: excellent vegan choice, Good food, Lively restaurant
Cons: "optional" tip
maggiecotton
maggiecotton

Not Wonderful Anymore

2 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2011

Oh dear - what has happened to Zilli Green? This was our go-to restaurant for a wedding anniversary weekend in London and, having been there a few times before, we had high expectations of a good evening despite having read some very poor reviews of late. The starter of oriental style dumplings was tasty but a little over oily,
but it was the mains that killed Zilli Green for us. I ordered tofu sausage with spring green mash. The sausages were lacklustre (we suspect bought in) affairs, but I stared in disbelief after tasting the mash and asked my husband to taste it. Yep, it tasted like Smash powdered potato. We asked the embarrassed looking waiting staff and after a few minutes the head chef bowled up. He confirmed what we suspected - the spring onion mash was made with organic potato flakes not real potatoes that had been actually mashed. Add water and stir, charge £11.90. Nice work if you can get it.

My husband ordered Mexican black bean chilli and crispy tortillas. The head chef claimed to have made the crispy tortillas. If true, this person has the singular distinction of being able to replicate the look,
texture and taste of mass produced nachos right down to the conveyor marks. Then again, this is the same head chef who said with a straight face that they had served the organic potato flaked to "millions" of customers. Given it opened Feb 14th 2010 - that means a minimum of 2,700 customers every single day eating their fancy Smash. That's some going.

Even the chilli managed to deliver less taste than a store bought salsa.

At this stage, and having met the defiantly proud peddler of smash mash and dorritos, we left. We paid for the starter and they still charged us for the wine (only half drunk) and water. I know people will say we shouldn't have paid - but on principle I didn't want them to think we were complaining to get out of paying for anything.

The sad thing is we had such high hopes for Zilli Green, but I'm embarrassed to think that people will eat there thinking this is anywhere near the pinnacle of vegetarian dining.

Pros: none dont go here
Cons: cheap ingredients, they use instant potato
emzy1985
emzy1985

A random find!

5 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2011

We were walking back to the train station and saw a big sign saying, "vegetarian food!" We were hungry so we had a look at the menu and there was an extensive list of vegan starters, mains and deserts. It was a tad expensive but the wine was lovely and the staff were helpful and smiley. We had:

Starter:

Focasscia with olive oil and hummus x 2

Main:

Sausage and mash with mushy peas
Tofu steak with asian salad

Desert:

Cheesecake and icecream
Chocolate brownie and icecream

We also had a cocktail and a glass of wine each. This cost us £50 and we left a good tip. I'd recommend this place to anyone, even non-vegans or vegetarians.

Pros: Wide selection, Central location, Friendly staff.
Cons: A little expensive, Very busy

TRES
TRES

Zilli Green: Disappointment³

2 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2011

Zilli Green looks like a great option for a nice vegan dinner, but sadly turns out to be the worst one for vegan food in the area. For a pretty high price you get okay veggie food in small portions that - in most cases - will leave you hungry for at least their less-than-stellar dessert if not for the nearest falafel on your way to the tube.
The somewhat nice and "green" interior doesn't really make up for the fact that this place actually caters to the "culinary curious" or "health conscious" omnivores rather than to actual vegans. If your date is vegetarian don't be surprised to find dairy products on your shared vegan plate for two or the occasional milk chocolate item in your dessert. Don't order in italian if you speak the language, you might miss the fun conversations the staff is having about you or other guests.

We gave this place a second and third chance but were disappointed every time. It just recently ruined valentine's day for us with a nicely burnt main course and 25 minutes waiting times between every course of their "valentines menu".

Oh and did I mention the charge of almost 12% gratuity/tip by default and the really hard time they give you to take it off the check? I mean after all, this place is part of the Aldo Zilli empire ...

Pros: nice interior
Cons: small portions, unfriendly staff
kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

Overpriced and average

2 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2011

Was very disappointed with Zilli Green. The portabello mushroom with sun-dried tomato starter had filled me with hope, but it was all downhill from there. The mains were bland- a creamy, overly rich pasta dish with truffles and another dish which was utterly unmemorable. The mixed desert platter contained not a single morsel worth mentioning- overall each selection was dry and tasteless. For the exceedingly high price, the fare was very poor. One to avoid I'm afraid.

Pros: Location
Cons: Price, Food
chrystanthem
chrystanthem

zilli green

2 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2011

went here because I'd heard good stuff about this restaurant and the menu looked good.

we started with the meze platter for two (vegetarian option; dad likes cheese). the hummus was too oily and the tabbouleh was bland, but otherwise it was ok.

I had the mushroom risotto, vegan option. It was too salty, too oily and didn't taste very good. dad had the ravioli, and he also thought it was too salty.
totally not worth the high price tag...

also, if you want to eat here, make sure you sit upstairs. I thing they have some sewage problems downstairs, 'cause it smelt horrible down there.

Cons: too salty and oily, expensive, bad smell downstairs
adamrowland
adamrowland

I'd like to give it another go

3 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2011

I'd heard great things about Zilli Green and was intrigued to try it.

On a sunny Sunday afternoon, a friend and I decided to try it out.

The restaurant itself was compact but didn't feel cramped and the service was polite and efficient.

I went for a vegan version of their Mexican platter. However, I was a little disappointed. For some salad, a little guacamole, some tortilla chips and a small bowl of black beans the price was quite high. Everything tasted very fresh with good flavour but I thought it lacked imagination and wasn't the best value for money.

Overall, a pleasant lunch in a great location. But I left feeling a bit short-changed as a vegan.

This was a few months ago so I'd definitely go back to try their evening menu.

Pros: Good Location, Good service
Cons: Needs better vegan options
estefinparis
estefinparis

Aldo Zilli goes green

4 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2010

Zilli Green offers quality vegetarian food in an atmosphere that, I agree with previous reviews, resembles more a cafe than a restaurant. We ate here on a Sunny but chilly October day - all of the front part of the restaurant was open so in fact we had to eat with our coats on. The service was ok, nothing extraordinary, but the food was well presented and tasty. We had the vegan quinoa and pistachio salad and the vegan tofu sausage with spring onion mash, mushroom gravy & mushy peas (the tofu sausage was disappointing) as well as the sundried tomato, goats cheese & mushroom ravioli with tomato & basil sauce (I didn't eat those but was told they were very good). The prices were reasonable and overall I would recommend this as a good veg option in the SoHo.

veglife
veglife

Gourmet Vegetarian/Vegan

4 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2010

Went here for dinner after exploring Soho. The good reviews convinced me to try. This place is amazing! We had the butternut squash soup, beetroot gnocchi stuffed with blue cheese, savoury crumble, and the dessert sampler. All very good. The flavors were well paired. Reasonably priced, good portion sizes, vegan options, friendly staff and quick service. Vegan desserts are not always well, good. Their desserts are spot on.

Pros: Gnocchi stuffed with blue cheese, great vegan desserts
Cons: small space
Deli Katesen
Deli Katesen

Good food for a premium price

3 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2010

I found the food excellent, but the service indifferent and the restaurant cramped. I was particularly unimpressed at having a 15% service charge included in the bill - especially given the already excessive prices.

Pros: excellent food
Cons: price, cramped, service
bibamatt
bibamatt

Lovely, informal atmosphere with incredible food

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2010

Went hear after recommendation by a friend. Interesting dishes, enjoyed everything we ate. Service was excellent and friendly. Will be going back!

Pros: Reasonably priced, Excellent atmosphere, Superb food
Cons: Tiny! Must book!
Kim Stallwood
Kim Stallwood

Excellent Review

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2010

Two vegans, one vegetarian and one non-veg ate at Zilli Green in London's Soho last night. They universally acclaimed the dinner as outstanding. The style of cuisine is "Italian vegetarian with a fusion mind from across the world."

For appetisers, T had the Peppers, Courgette Aubergine & Parmesan Terrine with a Watercress Pesto Dressing. It was presented very well but had a surprisingly mild flavour. (Zilli Green ensures the cheeses they use are vegetarian and do not include animal rennet.) G greatly enjoyed the Mixed Vegetable Tempura. It wasn't oily as it is so often cooked. It was also presented very well and greatly admired by everyone. J and K had the soup of the day. This was a delicious creamy base of beetroot, coconut and sage with a splash of balsamic vinegar. Both said it was delicious. The beautiful deep red colour striking. All felt the soup was the best appetiser.

Selecting dishes for the main course was challenging as the choice is outstanding. After much deliberation and discussion, T had the Ricotta, Artichoke & Truffle Ravioli with Butter & Sage Sauce; J picked the Tofu Sausage with Spring Onion Mash, Mushroom Gravy & Mushy Peas; G opted for the Lightly Smoked Tofu Cake with Tarragon, Skin-on Potatoes, Mixed Greens & Sardinian Bread; and K went for three vegetable dishes, which were Rosemary Roast Potatoes - Skin On, Mixed Greens and Chargrilled Mediterranean Vegetables in Cider Vinegar & Mint Dressing.

For more go to www.kimstallwood.com

Pros: Excellent food, Good wine, Attentive service
Cons: Noisy, Bit pricey, Bit hot
deerfold
deerfold

Quick dinner with the wife

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2010

I've been walking past Zilli Green for months but as I was meeting my wife on Oxford Street and she only fancied something light I thought we'd give this a try. Reviews have been mixed with the Metro absolutely slating the place. Fortunately we had a delightful experience.

I was pleasantly surprised by the number of vegan or vegan-option items on the menu, especially the desserts.

A shared bread and hoummous was perfectly adequate. Cocktails were refreshing.

The blue cheese gnocci (not blue for my vegan option) was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. My wife felt similarly about her angel hair pasta and haloumi.

The limoncello cheesecake was delicious, though less lemony than expected.

One downside is that there is now a lot of room - the tables are fairly small requiring a bit of rearranging as dishes/drinks arrive.

Seems to be quite popular with the rich and famous too - or perhaps that was just last night.

We had 2 cocktails, 1 liqueur, 1 starter, 2 mains, 1 desert, 1 bottle of sparkling water, a salad and a side dish and paid £63 including tip

Pros: Delicious food, Good vegan choice
Cons: A little cramped
lisasalvi
lisasalvi

Great food and great service

5 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2010

Had a lovely lunch here with a non-veggie friend who also thought the food was great. Good variety, fresh ingredients, the chef is vegan and seems to know what he's doing.

They have a good variety of juices, we both had 'Aldo's favourite' very tasty! I had the tempura courgette flower stuffed with ricotta which was amazing followed by a mushroom & truffle risotto topped with asparagus and mascarpone - all delicious. My friend went for the cous cous and soya burger with some very nice thin chips, which she raved about. We were both full but still went for a chocolate and pecan brownie!! perfect end to our meal.

The Deco was clean and fresh (and green!) and the staff very friendly and helpful. I will definitely be returning.

veganaurora
veganaurora

Lovely atmosphere and good food

4 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2010

Had a great vegan meal here with friends. There is lots of choice and the food is yummy and not too pricey, especially considering that it was pretty good quality. The staff really looked after us and the decor is lovely. Will definitely go back.

Pros: great atmosphere, lovely staff
Mel
Mel

Oh so disappointed

2 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2010

We were looking forward to a chef with a reputation like Aldo Zilli opening a veggie restaurant in Soho. Familiar (and happy) with Mildred's, we were hoping for something more like San Francisco's Millennium or Greens - somewhere for that special occasion. So we booked for a birthday and trudged through the rains soaked streets of Soho - and soaking wet we squeezed in to the narrow cramped space which has been re-branded and repainted in a calm green. Wedging ourselves into what felt more like a cafe than a classy restaurant we began to appreciate that the look and feel of the venue matched the standard of cooking! While the Organic Bread & Extra Virgin Olive Oil was of the standard you would expect of a restaurant run by an Italian, as each course came out we wondered where Enzo di Marino got his reputation as 'one of the UK's most exciting, talented up and coming vegetarian chefs'. The goats cheese & Jerusalem artichoke tart with pesto dressing was barely tepid and lacked any of the flavour those pungent ingredients promised, and the brodetto di legumi was very salty. The tagliatelle, porcini mushrooms & truffle oil, while well flavoured, was so badly cooked that we were left with a coagulated mass of uncooked pasta stuck together that my mother would be embarrassed to serve. A tofu & limoncello cheesecake lacked any lemony tang, while the pear & dark chocolate crumble indulgence had very little crumble, appearing to be more of a poached pear in chocolate sauce with a sprinkle of granola. Now, I know that this had only been open for 10 days, and teething problems are to be expected, but with Aldo Zilli's reputation I had hoped for a better standard of cooking. If you just need to pop in for a bite at lunchtime while shopping along Oxford Street - then fine! But, this is just not up to the standard of Brighton's Terre a Terre, Kington's Penrhos Court or Bath's Demuths - and London deserves better! I'll continue traipsing to Hammersmith to sample really good veggie cooking at The Gate

Pros: location
Cons: food, space
comida
comida

Wonderful restaurant and great food

4 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2010

Finally managed to try this place, and I'm sorry I left it for so long. It's been open since Valentine's day this year. The menu is very vegan friendly, and all the staff seem to know what the menu very well, there were no hesitations when they answered our questions about substitutions and replacements for dairy products. The chilli con carne and the mushroom tagliatelle were both very good, as was the basket of organic bread with olive oil. For dessert we had the cheesecake and the brownie, and both were well presented and delicious. The staff were warm, welcoming, and professional.

Pros: Right in the West End, Easy to find, Friendly staff
MehganChristine
MehganChristine

Good Food but Overpriced

3 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2010

Zilli Green sounded amazing which is why we decided to visit and spend a little extra cash on the meal. My dish was good but I have had similar at other Italian restaurants for much less money. My husband felt the same about his meal. For two meals and two drinks we spent over $60. The service was wonderful but I don't feel the food is worth the charge.

Pros: Service, Good Food
Cons: Overpriced
veganlondon
veganlondon

Zilli Green - new gournet vegetarian restaurant

5 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2010

Had a wonderful meal at Zilli Green. Inside it holds about 25 upstairs and a private dining room for 25 downstairs. Pale green walls complement rustic tables.

The restaurant is one of a number owned by celebrity chef Aldo Zilli - this is his first venture into vegetarian restaurants. Enzo, the chef at Zilli Green, is vegan and was previously the chef at a number of other high class vegetarian restaurants including Manna and The Gate.

They have a seasonal menu. Vegan items (of which there are many) are clearly labelled. The food was wonderful. If you're feeling hungry the Brodetto di Legumi (a barley, spelt, lentil &yellow split bean stew - more like a thick soup) is a filling starter. For something lighter go for the Quinoa and Wild Mushroom sushi.
Starters priced £4.50 - £6.50

For main course we had the Black Bean chilli, Aldo's Favourite curry (a version of Thai green curry) and Tagliatelle with Porcini Mushrooms.
The Black Bean chilli was good (they initially brought this with creme freche by mistake which we asked them to substitute).
The curry comes with quinoa - I would have preferred rice but that's personal choice. It was very nice though.
The tagliatelle dish was made with fresh (egg free) pasta and was excellent. So tasty. My favourite of the main courses. Mains are priced between £8 - £9

For desserts one can have a dessert platter (Chef's selection of 3 desserts) for £9. The cheesecake was nice but very rich. The vegan Tiramisu cake was very light and Moorish and my partner tells me the chocolate chip brownie was delicious.

I was pleased to see that they offered vegan & vegetarian wines on the menu, although we didn't try any this time.

We'll be back soon!

Pros: Excellent food, good selection for vegans, Friendly staff
Cons: tables very close to each other, closed most Sundays
KATIE H
KATIE H

AMAZING FOOD, GREAT CHOICE

5 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2010

this is well over due in the westend for veggies, a great evening place. beautifully presented food, fantastic flavours, great staff. We had such a nice evening the atomosphere and attention to detail was amazing. good location easy to find. good variety of choice for vegans and rawists and good prices, shockingly reasonable for the style of place it is. i think is my new favourite for evening dining.

Pros: romantic, awesome food, good price

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Zilli Green :