Zhun San Yen Vegetarian...

Lunch buffet, other times a la carte. Some meals contain eggs. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Buffet
Lot 165, Jalan Chan Chin Ann, Sarawak
Kuching, Malaysia 93100
082-230068

Open Mon-Fri 8am-2pm, 5pm-8pm, Sat 9am-2pm, 5pm-8pm, closed Sun.

First Review by blackcat
veggiebubble
veggiebubble

Excellent buffet lunch selection and nice dinner

4 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2013

Ate here loads when I was in Kuching! The owner and all staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The selection for lunch was excellent and food was quite hot. You take what you want and your plate is weighed (you get rice separately on a new plate). The price was slightly higher than similar places but I think the food was nicer.

The dinner worked out cheaper ordering from the menu (maybe because I took too much at the buffet!). Most meals were about 5RM.

Very popular place fills up quickly at lunch time!

Pros: Tasty buffet food, Hot food on buffet, Cheap a la cart menu
Cons: Slightly expensive for economy rice
Khoo
Khoo

Nice porridge

4 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2013

As recommended by other reviewers, I tried the porridge and found that I totally agree with others that it is really tasty. My friend and I have twice in our 5 days trip. It is only served in morning until around 11pm with other ala carte like kolo mee and kui chap, lunch time will be economic rice. After lunch can order that porridge also provided there is still porridege. We purposely reserved it when we missed it in one morning. The porridge contains a lot of vegetables, mushroom and many other material which I think is mock meat. Only cost RM3-4 (I forget) and it is cooked upon ordered. Can be quite full having it the whole bowl. The fresh orange juice also nice. The place is clean and the staffs are nice. Kolo mee and kui chap are just ok to me but are cheap to try.
The operating time is now only 8am-6pm only.

Aya
Aya

Tasty!

4 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2013

We visited the place in March 2013 (for late lunch + bought a lunchbox the following day).
Although the place is nothing too special, it was very nice to find it in Kuching.
The interior was simple, it was popular with locals (which means that food is always fresh) and the staff were nice.

Four cows, because it is not entirely vegan.

Pros: Tasty food, Good value for money, Friendly staff
Cons: Short working hours...
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

Good local place

4 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2013

We loved eating here (July 2012). The pin is correct, it is not too far to walk here from the 'centre' of town.
You pick whatever you want from the buffet and the lady weighs it and you pay, and can order a drink separate. We also loved the fresh juices, they offer with/without sugar.

I think we came here for dinner both times, around 6/7pm. The place was full of locals who'd clearly finished work, and come here straight away for dinner either alone or with family =)
The buffet was cheap, the second time we had about 6 or 7 plates!

Also the second time we left, someone had dumped a kitten on their doorstep. We stayed with their daughter and the kitten for a brief while, and they went and sorted out a box and some food/water for it bless them!!! I wish more people in Asia has this attitude!

Pros: Very cheap, lots of choice, fresh juices were yummy

lavanya
lavanya

A budget place to be

4 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2011

This restaurant has a variety of choice in their Chinese style buffet. You can choose whatever you want then just put on the scale. The price is based on the weight. Inexpensive and clean. Try the orange juice, very pure.

junya
junya

Rare case of full agreement!

4 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2011

Agree with all points of previous reviewers!

Tasty yet light - not swimming in oil (as is common in Chinese vege eateries in West Malaysia), so I can enjoy a meal out that doesn't start me worrying about clogged arteries.

The staff seems experienced with tourists, offering the option to exclude from fruit juices the sugar, salt, or milk that is popular with locals. I was also warned when I grabbed the sweet chili sauce (that is often mistaken for ketchup). And it only took my prolonged glance of curiosity at an item to evoke a complete description of it from staff.

As the boss sat at a table and ate with a small child who was finishing up homework, I realized what makes meals at shops like this feel so good: the shop is an extension of their home. And a good boss will make sure that both staff and customers feel at home in the shop.

NOTE:
Went for lunch and dinner, and buffet was available at both times.

Pros: light, tasty food, helpful, attentive staff, good value
Pea
Pea

Good tasty food

4 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2010

Simple and clean buffet restaurant. Some interesting juices and drinks and a good choice of dishes plus rice and noodles. Not much on the fake meat front but lots of other choice. Good tasty food. Friendly staff with excellent english.

Pros: good value, quick, lots of choice
blackcat
blackcat

Yummy Yum Yum

5 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2008

Where to start? The fresh lime juice was divine, and the choice for other juices excellent. The restaurant was informal, clean, nicely laid out and the staff were friendly and helpful. The food was buffet style with a fantastic choice, and sold via weight. My non-vege husband loved it too and we went several times during our stay. There was also non-buffett items such as sticky rice, spring roles, and fried eggs. As soon as you sat down you were given soup. Closed on Sunday, excellent value - we never paid more than a 20 ringits for two, including drinks.

Pros: excellent food, value for money, choice of dishes
Cons: Not open Sunday

Dear Owner and Manager of Zhun San Yen Vegetarian Restaurant: