Zest Kitchen and Bar

Vegetarian restaurant with full service bar, opened fall 2012. Food is gluten free with vegan and raw food choices. Selection of cocktails as well locally produced wine and beer. Live music, DJ, and dancing some nights. Must be 21+ years. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Beer/Wine

Mon-Thu 11:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-1:00am

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by MarekArawn
RobbyRamos
RobbyRamos

A++++

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2016

just extravagant, delightful staff, incredible menu and the most friendly bartender around. I will be returning here every time I'm in town from New Jersey.

hungryveg91
hungryveg91

michelin quality but inconsistencies

Posted on 01 / 16 / 2016

I have visited this establishment three times and each time I've thoroughly enjoyed the food but experienced inconsistencies in the accuracy of the dishes. The first time, my salad didn't have any dressing on it. The salad is a blend of dark leafy greens and not very palatable dry. Staff did bring dressing when I asked, of course. It was delicious. Just seems like a silly error. The second time my burger didn't have any special sauce, but my dad's did. They just forgot to put it on. Of course, they brought it when asked and it rocked. Just yesterday my partner and I ordered a pizza. It was amazing, but they forgot to put the nut sausage on, which would've been perfect. They couldn't make us a new pizza (cost wise) so they brought us a side of it, but it's not the same. Everything tastes so damn good, and you can tell it's high quality, but I just wish they would be more fastidious in the kitchen.
I enjoy the atmosphere of the restaurant, the music is great, and the cocktails are quality. My other complaint is you have to ask for every discount, don't just expect that because you're there during appy hour or whatever they'll apply the discount themselves.

Pros: high quality ingredients, raw and extra healthy options, all gluten free
Cons: inconsistencies, stingy with specials
emiliehw
emiliehw

Very good downtown SL option

Posted on 12 / 14 / 2015

All vegetarian and all gluten-free food with several vegan options. Three bites in during my first visit and I was already planning more times I could return to try other items on the menu. Portions are good, atmosphere is nice.

Pros: All food is vegetarian, Portions are large, Unique tastes
Cons: Restaurant was kept somewhat cold

sbthax
sbthax

fresh and delicious food

Posted on 04 / 29 / 2015

Started with Brussels sprouts to share among the table. It was hard to decide what to order but I had the Thai coconut curry stir fry not was delicious! Also sampled my friends manicotti and the Moroccan dish, both were amazing. We shared the chocolate beet cake for dessert. I would really recommend this place!

Navegante
Navegante

What's good is really good....

Posted on 03 / 15 / 2015

Went here for a special occasion. It is definitely a place for a date or for something special. It is a bit pricey, nice atmosphere, and the food is different/fancy. We ordered the "artichoke dip" thinking it was going to be a creamy dip with bread - but it was a spicy (like wasabi) dip inside an actual artichoke. It was beautiful, but sort of strange too - the taste was OK. Our main meals were good, fancy, and hit the spot. The stuffed mushrooms appetizer was really good, and the vegan dessert was the absolute best (see pics). Overall, it was expensive, but fun to try. The taste of the food ranged from just OK to amazing, depending on the dish.

Pros: Nice atmosphere for a date, Lots of vegan options, Fancy and beautiful food
Cons: Pricey, Some items are different/strange
earthville
earthville

Vegan-friendly, eco-friendly

Posted on 12 / 30 / 2014

Zest offers an eclectic menu of unusual dishes in a cool bar-bistrio setting. Tasty and salubrious food, good tea, and mid-tempo grooves played at volumes that still permit conversation. All of these elements combine to make a good formula for stimulating dining.

The menu is very vegan-friendly, with all non-vegan dishes being marked with an asterisk. The fact that they emphasize organic and local produce and value fair trade is much appreciated, as is the gluten-free kitchen, all of which together earn them the fifth happy cow in our rating.

jozaloz
jozaloz

decent- probably better with drinks!

Posted on 12 / 26 / 2014

my boyfriend and i had the burger-things and stuffed mushrooms. ive since gone back for the mushrooms because they were so good. the burgers not so much. as im not 21 i didnt get to try any drinks however i hear that they are awesome.

Pros: nice style, friendly owner
Cons: 21+
cindy_seattle
cindy_seattle

I'm Hooked!

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2014

I was in the SLC area for two weeks. I was able to nourish myself exclusively in 4 area restaurants, with Zest being among the best. I have the added challenge of being lactose intolerant and gluten-free. I didn't have to worry at all here. This establishment boasts a certified gluten-free kitchen!

Pros: Gluten-free, Organic, Lounge Atmosphere
Cons: 21 And Over Only, Paid Parking Next Door
Vegetarian1994
Vegetarian1994

Great food, service and atmosphere

Posted on 04 / 30 / 2014

Great food, live music, and service. Our meals and dessert were delicious. The salted caramel hazelnut tote is amazing!! Although a little expensive, it's well worth it for being able to enjoy a more upscale vegan friendly, vegetarian establishment. We will definitely be going back.

Pros: delicious food, fun atmosphere, friendly service
Cons: 21 and older only
Akitasrule
Akitasrule

Awful - 1 cow rating if allowed

Posted on 01 / 10 / 2014

I'd give it one cow if I could. I hate to write a poor review of a vegetarian restaurant, but... The food is bland. I mean BLAND. The chef seems to have an aversion to putting salt, garlic, or other spices in food. Even the party next to us were joking about how poor the food "tasted". The only thing I had that had flavor was the balsamic reduction, and it wasn't reduced enough, it just tasted like straight balsamic vinegar.
It seems like the chef put ecletic ingredients together, just to be eclectic, not because of any particular flavor discoveries. When you try an experimental recipe, don't put it on the menu because it doesn't taste BAD, but because it tastes GOOD.
The portions were pretty small for the price (I understand organic and local products cost more, though).
Updated from previous review on Friday January 10, 2014

Pros: Uhh, waiter was nice
Cons: Flavorless food, Big prices for portion size, Trying too hard to be trendy
JohnnyD
JohnnyD

Don't Miss This!

Posted on 09 / 24 / 2013

I was in town for just one night and picked Zest- what a find! Great food, service and atmosphere! Can't wait until next visit to SLC!

Pros: food, service, atmosphere
MarekArawn
MarekArawn
  • non-vegetarian

Vegan Bar and Kitchen? Yeah Baby!

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2013

Wow! Great locale, great bar menu with many signature cocktails and a nice food menu. A good selection of large and small plates, delicious salades and - gasp! - I'm even having dessert!

The staff is nice and helpful and, more importantly: no attitude!
Love it.
I'll be back tomorrow for the risotto plate!

Pros: Ambience, Food, Staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Zest Kitchen and Bar: