Zest Kitchen and Bar

Vegetarian restaurant with full service bar, opened fall 2012. Food is gluten free with vegan and raw food choices. Selection of cocktails as well locally produced wine and beer. Live music, DJ, and dancing some nights. Must be 21+ years. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, American, Raw, Juice bar, Beer/Wine

earthville
earthville

Vegan-friendly, eco-friendly

Posted on 12 / 30 / 2014

Zest offers an eclectic menu of unusual dishes in a cool bar-bistrio setting. Tasty and salubrious food, good tea, and mid-tempo grooves played at volumes that still permit conversation. All of these elements combine to make a good formula for stimulating dining.

The menu is very vegan-friendly, with all non-vegan dishes being marked with an asterisk. The fact that they emphasize organic and local produce and value fair trade is much appreciated, as is the gluten-free kitchen, all of which together earn them the fifth happy cow in our rating.

jozaloz
jozaloz

decent- probably better with drinks!

Posted on 12 / 26 / 2014

my boyfriend and i had the burger-things and stuffed mushrooms. ive since gone back for the mushrooms because they were so good. the burgers not so much. as im not 21 i didnt get to try any drinks however i hear that they are awesome.

Pros: nice style, friendly owner
Cons: 21+
cindy_seattle
cindy_seattle

I'm Hooked!

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2014

I was in the SLC area for two weeks. I was able to nourish myself exclusively in 4 area restaurants, with Zest being among the best. I have the added challenge of being lactose intolerant and gluten-free. I didn't have to worry at all here. This establishment boasts a certified gluten-free kitchen!

Pros: Gluten-free, Organic, Lounge Atmosphere
Cons: 21 And Over Only, Paid Parking Next Door

Vegetarian1994
Vegetarian1994

Great food, service and atmosphere

Posted on 04 / 30 / 2014

Great food, live music, and service. Our meals and dessert were delicious. The salted caramel hazelnut tote is amazing!! Although a little expensive, it's well worth it for being able to enjoy a more upscale vegan friendly, vegetarian establishment. We will definitely be going back.

Pros: delicious food, fun atmosphere, friendly service
Cons: 21 and older only
Akitasrule
Akitasrule

Awful - 1 cow rating if allowed

Posted on 01 / 10 / 2014

I'd give it one cow if I could. I hate to write a poor review of a vegetarian restaurant, but... The food is bland. I mean BLAND. The chef seems to have an aversion to putting salt, garlic, or other spices in food. Even the party next to us were joking about how poor the food "tasted". The only thing I had that had flavor was the balsamic reduction, and it wasn't reduced enough, it just tasted like straight balsamic vinegar.
It seems like the chef put ecletic ingredients together, just to be eclectic, not because of any particular flavor discoveries. When you try an experimental recipe, don't put it on the menu because it doesn't taste BAD, but because it tastes GOOD.
The portions were pretty small for the price (I understand organic and local products cost more, though).
Updated from previous review on Friday January 10, 2014

Pros: Uhh, waiter was nice
Cons: Flavorless food, Big prices for portion size, Trying too hard to be trendy
JohnnyD
JohnnyD

Don't Miss This!

Posted on 09 / 24 / 2013

I was in town for just one night and picked Zest- what a find! Great food, service and atmosphere! Can't wait until next visit to SLC!

Pros: food, service, atmosphere
MarekArawn
MarekArawn
  • non-vegetarian

Vegan Bar and Kitchen? Yeah Baby!

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2013

Wow! Great locale, great bar menu with many signature cocktails and a nice food menu. A good selection of large and small plates, delicious salades and - gasp! - I'm even having dessert!

The staff is nice and helpful and, more importantly: no attitude!
Love it.
I'll be back tomorrow for the risotto plate!

Pros: Ambience, Food, Staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Zest Kitchen and Bar: