Serves meat, veg options available. Uses certified organic food, locally produced ingredients, and fair trade products. Many veg options. The restaurant-bistrot offers refined dishes based on tofu, tempeh, seitan, veggies. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Western, Italian, Non-veg

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Alessandro
eli vegan
eli vegan

Recommended for vegan and veg

4 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

Organic wholefoods omnivorous restaurant. Had vegan dinners here twice in the week we were in Bologna. Made reservations both times as they seem pretty busy. It is a minimalist yet homey restaurant. The staff are casually dressed and it is a relaxed atmosphere. We told our server that we are vegan and she made recommendations. They have tofu, seitan and tempeh, cooked to perfection with fresh veg. We had a veg starter (can't remember what - but it was good) and a plate with all three veg proteins with grains and veg. It was stylish yet filling. There was no vegan dessert the first night, but there was on the second - a rice pudding/flan with a berry sauce - delicious. A feel good meal - highly recommended.

Pros: Vegan options, Friendly and helpful staff.
Cons: Vegan dessert not guaranteed, Veg and vegan options not clearly marked
Babai
Babai

Absolutely worth a walk and a phone call

4 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2013

The place is very crowdy at lunch, workers from nearby offices go there in the lunch-break so it is better to go there before 12.30-13.00 otherwise you'll have to wait for a table. It's inside the walls of the city, but maybe 10 or 20 minutes walk from the places of interests, anyway it's absolutely worth a walk for a very healthy food with plenty of vegan choices. Average prices.

Pros: Very healthy, very vegan friendly
Cons: Crowdy
Sprout
Sprout

Tasty fresh food in Bologna

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2012

Good thing we arrived right when this place opened, as we didn't have a reservation and it filled up fast. It's not completely veg, but there are plenty of options and the wait staff is happy to point them out to you. We shared a started, the veg tempura. I don't know what they put in the sauce but it was all I could do not to lick the cup. We also shared a first plate, the gnocchetti, which was more or less like gnocchi, maybe a little smaller. I could have just had that as my main dish--definitely my favorite part of the meal. For my main I had the grilled tempeh over grilled veggies. The tempeh was thick and hearty but maybe needed to be steamed first. I thought the veggies were a little too oily, too. I liked the dish overall, but it wasn't as satisfying as the first plate. I didn't like my partner's seitan dish; it was basically a plate of seitan and I wasn't crazy about the texture or taste.

Overall this is a classy place with a vibrant atmosphere and friendly staff; I would definitely go back. They do get busy so make a reservation or plan to get there right at 7:30 pm.

Pros: good veg options, gnochetti!, nice space, helpful staff
Cons: veggies a bit oily, not crazy about the seitan

SnuggleBear
SnuggleBear

Really nice place in a less than expected Area

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2012

This spot was not hard to find, but was a little further removed from the central bustle of Bologna. We arrived and they did not open until 7:30 pm (a bit later than we are accustomed as Americans!). So, we waited outside until it opened and were the only people there for the first fifteen minutes and after the first hour, there were no seats available through the three rooms. The restaurant was rather upscale in appearance but not really more expensive than most places for the food we received. For an appetizer we had gnocchetti (small gnocchi) and tempura. Both of which were great. The main courses (grilled tempeh over vegetables and a cubed seitan dish) were good, but not great. The tempeh tasted a little bitter as if it was not first steamed and the seitan dish was just cubed seitan in a sauce on a plate which can be a bit dull as an entree. Overall, it was a pleasant experience, and would suggest it for anyone looking for a great, nice meal, but next time I would choose different main courses.
Note, the menu is about 40% solidly vegan with some creative options.

Pros: Nicer atmosphere
Cons: Appetizers outshined Entrees
Alessandro
Alessandro

Refined dishes

3 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2010

Relaxing and elegant atmosphere, fine service. Crowded place, reservation suggested (dinner).
Among the specialties don't miss the delicious vegetable tempura.

Pros: excellent choice and service
Cons: not 100% vegetarian

Dear Owner and Manager of Zenzero: