Serves meat, veg options available. Asian noodle shop restaurant. Has a vegetarian section on the menu, and some dishes can be made vegan. Tofu is an option alongside meat. Most servers are accommodating so if you are vegan just specify. Portions are large. Also has green tea ice cream, coconut flan, dessert spring rolls, and vegan sorbets. See menu on their website. Notice: They give you shrimp chips upon sitting. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Asian, Nepal, Tibet, Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
811 Massachusetts St

kishaks
kishaks

Never say never

3 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2012

I ate here several times a couple years ago, and just wasn't impressed. I finally went back last month and boy did I change my tune! The wait staff carry lists of which items can be made vegan, and it's a pretty substantial list! I tend to stick to noodle dishes, and they have made my food correctly every time. Add that to the friendly staff, large portions, and cheap price tag, and you've got yourself a winner! The otherThai restaurants in town either have refused to make a dish vegan or use so much oil it's unedible.

Pros: Knowledgable staff, Inexpensive price w/ large portions, Very accommodating
Cons: Not very authentic, Not many vegan appetizers
DaisytheHedgehog
DaisytheHedgehog

Great tofu!!

4 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2012

My boyfriend and I were totally surprised to find a veg-friendly restaurant in the middle of kansas. We told the server that we were veg and had no problems. We got local tofu curry and the veggie stir fry and everything was great! The stir fry was not super greasy at all, felt healthier than after most stir frys! The prices were very reasonable. I was also able to get a bubble tea without dairy. I am a big fan of green and red curry however, and they can only make the mushroom and yellow curry without fish sauce.

Pros: Big menu, Local tofu, Reasonable prices
Cons: Green curry has fish sauce :(
Ribaldry
Ribaldry

Consistent tastiness

4 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2012

I'm sorry to read that Gr8vegan had such a terrible experience here. This has been one of my favorite places to eat in Lawrence for 7 years or so. I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian, but I dine here with vegan friends and omnivores alike, who love it. I have never been dissatisfied with what I've gotten there, and I've never heard of anyone else getting undercooked rice. I am unaware of the soy milk situation there, because the only drinks I ever get there are the delicious teas (their iced jasmine green tea is remarkably refreshing) or their tasty cocktails (I recommend the lychee martini), or occasionally juice, beer or wine. They do have a dedicated list of veg/vegan stuff, which consists of lots of flavorful stir-fries, made with fried tofu and various veggies and sauce. Again in contrast with Gr8vegan's experience, I have always found their veggies fresh and well-cooked. Some of their noodle dishes are higher in noodles and tofu than veggies, but if you ask for an extra dollar's worth of veg, they will add a good amount. The dishes are all around $7, so an extra dollar shouldn't break the bank. As another reviewer noted, any of the noodle or stir-fry dishes on the menu can be made with tofu rather than meat. This gives vegans a wider range of choices than any restaurant in town. What do I like? I love the Singapore Noodles (rice noodles with snap peas, carrots, onions, bok choy, a couple of other veggies, and a light curry sauce. It comes with egg, but I ask them to leave that out, and you can , too) and the drunken noodles (I think those might be egg noodles, but you can sub vegan noodles. Comes with Thai basil, tomato, onions, and oyster sauce). The portabella mushroom and Asian eggplant satays with peanut sauce and sweet onion relish are my favorite appetizers, but the veggies moms (samosa-like dumplings) and fried tofu w/dipping sauce are great too. Their soups are great and come with tofu if you ask. The broth is (or used to be -- haven't had soup there for a while, so ask!) vegan. The house salad is nice, especially if you ask them to mix the two house dressings (peanut and sesame ginger). I also recommend the Thai Basil tofu stir-fry, and the Pharam Tofu is good, though the peanut sauce is very rich! The red, panang, and massaman curries are also very good. For dessert, I recommend the sorbet trio, and definitely ask if they have any of their homemade coconut milk ice cream on hand -- it usually comes in green tea or taro. Enjoy!

Pros: wide veg/vegan selection, big servings for modest prices, pleasant interior
Cons: long wait for a table possible, no reservations accepted, overpriced alcohol
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

low quality vegetarian dishes, no soy milk

1 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2011

I was really hoping for a Thai Iced Tea, but they don't have soy milk and wouldn't blend a bit of tofu to make one for me. The rice was undercooked and I nearly broke my tooth. The veg was of the lowest quality, probably frozen or out of a can. Absolutely horrible. No one at our table finished their food. The place is wildly popular with long waits for tables, who knows...

Cons: no soy milk, low quality produce, long waits
Katty
Katty

Appetizing & Affordable-easy vegan meal

4 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2011

I've lived in and around Lawrence awhile, and this is one of my favorite places to go in town. It's amazingly cheap for the amount of food you get. Most meals are $6.99 and I always have leftovers (they use Styrofoam, bring a container!).
They have a vegetarian section (back of the menu). I recently stopped by and asked if one of their vegetarian entrées was vegan, and was told that all of the vegetarian options listed are vegan. Don't know if this is true, but it's what they told me. Who knows what their definition of vegan is.
Also, many options on the menu could easily be made vegetarian or vegan. They offer tofu alongside their animal flesh options.
I haven't encountered an entrée I didn't like. They have a variety of flavors; spicy, mild, sweet.
Best of all, if you order something that lists a lot of veggies, you GET a lot of veggies. Love it.

As a side note, the atmosphere is pleasing, as well.

Pros: Tasty, Easily Vegan, Cheap
Cons: Some of their waiters are mediocre, Use Styrofoam

Dear Owner and Manager of Zen Zero: