Zen Vegetarian House

Chinese and Asian vegetarian specialties including mock meat dishes, juices and teas. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese

First Review by heysan
Lamia
Lamia

Superb

5 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2012

Great value, tasty food, medium-large portions. I had the sesame chicken for lunch: it was many pieces of fake meat, a few pieces of broccoli, in a tangy sauce, topped with a few sesame seeds. The ginger tea was an infusion of ginger, served with honey on the side. Very tasty. I assume from the presence of honey that the the restaurant doesn't try to be vegan. My companion liked hir eggplant chicken. The hot and sour coup was perfect, but served in a thin-walled pint take-out container instead of a soup bowl.

If I lived nearby I'd be in every week.

Pros: Better quality food than it needed to be, Inexpensive, Plentiful
Cons: Not much atmosphere, Minimal service
heysan
heysan

Wow

4 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2010

We went December 2010.

Lets see: clean, tidy, super friendly, lots of action in the kitchen. Small place - seating for about 12 people. I guess takeaway/delivery is popular.

We had: seaweed soup and miso soup. Both were both a hit. I had the seitan with ginger and fresh crunchy steamed broccoli -- very tasty; interestingly they used pickled ginger. Actually am getting peckish while writing this review so helping myself to leftovers. . . Pretty big portions. Mushu vegetables with hoisan sauce was also very tasty - but the pancakes were a bit dry. Ooh - fresh carrot juice with ginger!

Definitely going back -- such a big menu (18 Appetizers, 10 salad/soups, 27 mains (brown or white rice), 5 types of fried rice, 8 noodles, 13 items under vegetables/tofu).

Ceramic crockery and plastic cutlery.

Prices for Appetizers from $3 - $7.
Prices for mains averaged at $11.
Fresh Juices $4.

Lunch special (noon to 4pm) $6.

Here is a link to their menu: http://www.flatbushvegan.com/2009/04/vegan-eats-zen-vegetarian-house.html

Pros: fresh + delicious food, friendly staff, clean place

Dear Owner and Manager of Zen Vegetarian House: