CLOSED: Zen Vegetarian Cuisine

Vegetarian owned restaurant serving Chinese, Thai, Korean, and Japanese food. Reported closed to HappyCow May 2011. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Asian, Take-out
3101 N Rock Rd Ste150 (29th St)
Wichita, Kansas 67226
316-425-7700

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by feralbecky
Janet4784
Janet4784

fabulous

Posted on 06 / 10 / 2010

The menu was so large and varied that I could have eaten for a week without trying everything. Since it was my only chance to eat there, I ordered six different dishes and took the leftovers for later. Highly recommended.

SeniorVeggie
SeniorVeggie

NEW MENU, BETTER THAN EVER

Posted on 05 / 16 / 2010

Zen has been a favorite of mine since it first opened, but their new expanded menu has taken it to a totally new and scrumpdillyicious level. I try to get there once a week and am trying something new each time. So many choices, I'm loving it and am certain your meat-eating friends will too. My picky-eater grandchildren absolutely loved every bite! Plus,it's a beautiful restaurant, always feel so nice to be there and the service is great! It should definitely be on anyone's must try list!

Pros: Excellent food, Great Value, Beautiful & Clean
VegMommy2
VegMommy2

An A+ doesn't do this place justice!

Posted on 03 / 24 / 2010

This is hands down the greatest restaurant in Wichita. The atmosphere is exquisite--dim lighting and beautiful decor. The food is equally wonderful. Presentation and artistry is devine. Taste is even better. Try the vegetable fries--I can never get enough. My (meat-eating) children gobbled up the Garden Burger and I enjoyed the Passage to India. The also offer several unique drinks.

The price was good for the quality of the establishment and food. (Even the bathrooms are pristine!) I generally a very critical person, and my husband was astounded I had not one complaint! :)

We live a little way out of town, but I plan on eating here each time we visit Wichita--without a doubt!

Pros: Friendly Servers, Delicious Food, Great Atmosphere
Cons: NO CONS!

Kimberly10jason
Kimberly10jason

Love it!

Posted on 03 / 12 / 2010

Great place to eat. My husband is a meat eater & this is his favorite restaurant in Wichita.

Pros: Variety/menu, prices, atmosphere
Cons: speed, no alcohol
jmw5577
jmw5577

Loved it!

Posted on 03 / 06 / 2010

Such a great little place! The food was excellent, the service was exceptionally friendly and helpful (especially with questions about vegan items), and the food was delicious. This even pleased my non-vegetarian family members.

Lunch specials are very cheap as well and come with soup. I would definitely recommend the General Tso's Soy and the Spring Rolls. Yum!

Pros: Cheap, Friendly staff, Delicious Food
avyrocks
avyrocks

Delicious!

Posted on 12 / 31 / 2009

I am not usually a fan of Chinese food, but as a vegetarian, I was curious as to the options in Wichita. I was not disappointed! Since my first visit, I've brought the rest of my family-including my sister, who DESPISES trying anything new- and she absolutely loved it, much to her embarrassment! (No one let her forget the "I don't want to eat weird vegetarian food!") Point in case, my entire family loves the food, and my special favorite is the Zen Sushi Platter, which, of course, contains no real sushi but is delicious all the same! Also, another great feature is the fruit plate, which always has beautifully fresh fare! Thanks Zen's for gracing my tongue with your wonderful splendor!!!

Pros: Zen Sushi Platter, Fruit Plate, Soy Fish
Cons: Speed (some dishes take a while), Price (somewhat)
Guest
Guest

Amazing, Incredible, Delicious, Healthy, Flexible!

Posted on 10 / 24 / 2009

The ambiance was soothing and welcoming.
The service staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and kind.
The food and drink choices on the menu were mouth-watering and provided too many choices to pick from for one meal.
The cuisine itself was delectable! Detailed and special attention and heart was invested into every grain of rice, snap pea, tofu square and noodle consistency. The presentation of the food was elegant and professional..

The prices were beyond reasonable and permitted additional experimentation of other food items AND ordering another meal to go for the next day.

You'd expect to find this place in a modern district of a big city in the West, with absurd prices and snooty staff...

I was very pleasantly surprised but bewildered by the fact that not everyone from Wichita and the surrounding areas was lined up outside to eat here!

What I enjoyed most is the underlying HEART of the place and their intention to be of-service to the community, to provide healthy food alternatives to the oh-so-many meat-serving restaurant, and to raise awareness.

With a deep heartfelt bow of tremendous respect to the owners, I pray more people fall in love with Zen and tell all their friends about it (meat-eaters and vegetarians both!).

Namaste.

Pros: Food, Service, Ambiance
ochibawolf
ochibawolf

Wichita's very first Vegetarian restaurant!

Posted on 05 / 14 / 2009

I've lived in Wichita all my life, and this is definitely not a vegan friendly city. Zen was a welcomed part for Wichita's small vegetarian and vegan population, and to our surprise, is doing very well! I'm vegan, so it's very nice to have vegan options. All of their main dishes can be made vegan, or just look for the VF(vegan-friendly) next to a dish. All asian inspired food. Service is fast, the place is always clean and has a friendly staff. You definitely have to know a vegetarian/vegan living in Wichita to know where to eat.

Pros: Clean , family friendly, good portions
Cons: Opens for lunch, then closes til dinner, some staff not knowledgeable about vegan, doesn't list allergens
feralbecky
feralbecky

We love Zen!

Posted on 04 / 02 / 2009

My husband and I were snow bound - no planes in or out - in Wichita (Spring Blizzard) and thank goodness for Zen which had only opened a month prior. We enjoyed the hot and sour and wonton soups, the Mongolian Soy Filet, the Love and Compassion and the most delicious sticky rice. We are delighted that Wichita has a 100% vegetarian restaurant and we hope they grow and prosper. I am from Kansas and I have faith that there are vegetarians in central Kansas who will patronize Zen and enjoy good health.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Large Variety
Cons: None!

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Zen Vegetarian Cuisine: