CLOSED: Zen-e Lunch Box

Vegetarian pan-Asian eatery in the Downtown Core; Previously named Veggie House. Offers an extensive vegan food menu with Chinese, Taiwanese, and Japanese dishes. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Taiwanese, Pan Asian, Take-out

First Review by dkingdesigndotcom
FlorenceP.Etienne
FlorenceP.Etienne

A very pleasant suprize in the downtown core!

5 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2013

Discovering ZEN-E was quite a find! This gem of a chef and eatery despite modest attributes indicate that a bright future is in order. Truly great cuisine that my most discerning palate enjoyed. Chef Shang went out of his way to accommodate us and to ensure all that I eat was strictly vegan. Much appreciated indeed!
I wish that he soon can open a full-fledged restaurant, the city of Calgary and us all vegans out there will be thankful!!
F.Etienne

cc14cows
cc14cows

interesting food and friendly service

4 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2013

We went here for lunch after reading the reviews and enjoyed the food. At lunch time, you can choose from a selection of already-prepared dishes or from the menu. We opted to share a plate of four different items from the prepared food. Portions of sticky rice desserts were thrown in for free, along with unlimited free soup (broth) and tea. The food was tasty and there was a good selection, although it was not very hot. The man who served us was very friendly and helpful. It was nice to see vegan fast-food that had steady trade.

Pros: good range of dishes, freebies added, friendly staff
Cons: food wasn't hot, small food court environment
kimward8
kimward8

Really Good Vegan Chinese Food

4 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2013

The manager is really nice and I think all of the food is vegan. The chow mein noodles don't have eggs in them. The wheat gluten is really good, my favourite was the soy sauce flavour, but they have BBQ, Curry, and Sweet and Sour gluten as well. We had veggie tofu chow mein, sweet and sour fake meat of some kind, and the tofu sheet rolls with cabbage inside.

They are located in a mini mall food court called City Plaza in Chinatown on Centre St. SW between 3rd and 4th Ave., on the west side of the street (it took me awhile to find it).
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 13, 2013

Posi Britt
Posi Britt

Love this place

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

The perfect place for greasy cheap chinese food. However they have changed owners about 5 times in 10 years and it shows. The food is a bit different and some of the old dishes straight up suck now. However try the Ginger Beef and Sweet and Sour Pork. Soooooo good. My favourite is still the large plate of Assorted Wheat Gluten. I miss the original owners. :(

Pros: Super cheap, Pretty good food, Large portions
Cons: Location kinda sketchy, Looks kinda dirty, Parking sucks
lauraismynametoo
lauraismynametoo

Not bad.

3 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2011

The young man working was very helpful and polite. The main course was tasty (I had the "lamb" curry) with a nice selection of seasonal vegetables. The spring rolls were delicious.

Pros: service, location, good value
Cons: in a food court

francistegg
francistegg

Finding Vegan Food in Calgary

2 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2010

Having researched the data on Happy Cow, I set out in search of Vegan food in Calgary.
The Veggie House was on my list - when I eventually found it, it was shut.
I have also been told that it now appears to be shut more than it is open - of course this is hearsay - I cannot vouch for the statements validity - only that it was shut when I found it.

Pros: -, -, -
Cons: shut, shut , shut
23skidoo
23skidoo

Not bad

3 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2009

I like the food here, but for a menu with 200 or so selections, many dishes taste the same. Also, their fried rice is missing some Wok Hay (although the ginger fried rice is great!)
This is a food court restuarant, although they will bring food and tea to your table.

Pros: Good food
Cons: In a food court
Top Dog
Top Dog

• raw

Disappointed

2 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2009

I had lunch there today. Parking is $5 per hour on street. Menu mostly based on meat substitutes, not real vegan fare. Bamboo shoots $6.95, plus rice $1.25, not a bargain in my book. Flavor was gingery but otherwise bland. I left still hungry. I won't go back.

Cons: Downtown, food court, unimpressive food
  • Top Dog Top Dog

Thanks for your comment. My review was posted in March 2009, it sounds like they have improved. That's good!

• JK JK

I found it very vegan! As someone with an anaphylactic dairy allergy, finding something Chinese without the fake meats is great because they mostly contain WHEY these days (I loved them when they didn't). The 'fake meats' at Zen-e are just made from gluten, tofu, bean curd... No animal products here! It is a bit like junk food, but don't us vegans deserve that sometimes?

theveggiehouse
theveggiehouse

Discovery!

4 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2009

I have discovered that the resturant has it's own website!! it's under www.theveggiehouse.ca/league.php?scriptName=LEAGUEINFO&leagueID=16422&leagueInfoID=62867 and i strongly suggest that everyone check it out! it's very interesting!

Pros: Great Food, Excellent service, NO MSG!!
Cons: Food court style
dkingdesigndotcom
dkingdesigndotcom

MUST VISIT! GREAT BUDGET VEGAN MEALS!

4 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2007

We believe we've posted an extensive review here- but can't find it now. We'll re-post, :)! 10 CND for 2 ppl , so 5 CND each - and REAL FULL!

Pros: big portions, very reasonably priced, yummy
Cons: don't choose anything oily?

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Zen-e Lunch Box: