Zen Bakery uses natural and healthier ingredients for baking muffins, cakes, scones, cookies, and rolls. Has fiber cakes, oat bran muffins, carob scones, cinnamon raisin rolls, etc. Supplies to many local markets, like Whole Foods and others. This is their kitchen with a small retail area in front. Hot coffee and tea available. more-less

First Review by gr8vegan

Great Little Bakery

5 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2012

I had first read about this place on happycow, and have bought my breads from Zen Bakery on Pico Blvd in West LA many times over the years. Here's my Zen Bakery review update.

When I can I try to come to the store; otherwise I buy Zen Bakery products from my health food market. The shop is open M-S til 3pm. I usually get the cinnamon raisin bread rolls, which are vegan, and sometimes I buy a couple muffins and scones that are vegan.

The baked goods are always fresh. Their kitchen makes them all week long and delivers city-wide. In their glass case, there is always a varied selection of goods.

The prices are very reasonable, and you can ask for an ingredients list. The taste is good - you can tell it's a healthier and less fatty than conventional baked goods.

Okay

3 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2008

Small shop. Sells most of their products to retailers in the Souther California region like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

The muffins are okay, though it's more healthy tasting than decadent. Very fiber filled. Banana nut muffin and carrot muffin are the ones I like better. Sometimes they are available. You have to go early (before 3pm).

Pros: has vegan, healthy
Cons: too healthy

Small bakery with fiber filled muffins

3 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2008

Stopped in today while nearby running some errands. Just a small counter with vegan muffins, scones, cookies. Not everything is vegan and I don't think its labeled that well and the staff didn't really have that good of an idea what was vegan or not. You can get everything at Whole Foods and the Co-op so the only reason for going here is if you are driving by and are hungry for a muffin.

Cons: needs clear vegan labels

Dear Owner and Manager of Zen Bakery: