Restaurant offers pizzas, pasta, salads, and desserts. The entire complex has 4 cinemas, a cafe, a restaurant, and a jazz bar. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto

First Review by jonnie
Janeycat
Janeycat

Fantastic vegan pizza!

5 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2014

Great meal. The Vegan cheese on request made this the most enjoyable pizza experience we've had for a long time. Both pizzas we ordered were delicious. Along with the sweet potato and potato wedges, it made for a very tasty, filling meal. Luckily we got a doggy bag to take away the pizza we couldn't finish at the time! Made a for a lovely supper snack ;)

ejthiggs
ejthiggs

Vegan pizza!

4 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2014

I have been to Zeffirelli's a number of times since about 2008 and I have always liked it. On my most recent visit in June 2014 the menu seemed to have been updated.

It now includes more vegan main course options, such as a pasta and artichoke salad and a veggie version of beef wellington (i.e. lentil roast wrapped in pastry).

I was very happy to see that there is now the option to have vegan cheese on your pizza - I ordered 'The Big One', which was delicious, but it was so big I had to take half home with me!

I would recommend Zeffirelli's to anyone - especially cinema-loving vegetarians - but it is still a lacto-ovo vegetarian restaurant with some vegan options, rather than a restaurant that caters primarily for vegans. Hopefully the most recent menu changes are evidence that vegan dishes are becoming more central to their menu. I hope so!

Pros: Cinema+meal deal is good value, Vegan cheese on pizzas, Good for mixed omni-veggie-vegan groups
Cons: A little expensive (esp. drinks)
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Pretty good

3 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2012

Tasty food in a pleasant and cheerful setting. A decent number of vegan options, but a mostly vegetarian menu. We had antipasti followed by stuffed onion and red beans, which were good.

Pros: Tasty, Pleasant atmosphere
Cons: A few more vegan options wouldn't go astray
OneNightStanzas
OneNightStanzas

Zeffs is so fabby!

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2012

I went to Zeffirelli's as one of a party of five. We had booked but showed up early -- they didn't seem to mind and made us comfortable in the bar upstairs while they made our table ready. This was done quickly and we were welcomed and seated by friendly staff.

Unfortunately the five of us were seated at a table that was really only big enough for four, with bench/booth type seats and no space to put a chair at the end... so we were a bit squished! A bigger table would have been appreciated! But it was a weekend and very busy.

I was extremely excited to see the sheer choice of vegan options on the menu. The Lake District is busy and cosmopolitan but vegan options are usually still quite limited. I was impressed! And all the food was delicious. In particular the vegan summer pudding with cashew cream which I ordered for dessert. A big portion and absolutely heavenly! My vegetarian friends were actually jealous of my vegan option! Everyone in the party was super happy with their meals and again, the desserts were especially popular. My partner raves about their frozen yoghurt to this day!

The restaurant is very busy and can be quite noisy, but personally I like quite a lively atmosphere. The decor is a bit, er, 'cruise ship', with lots of coloured lights/fountains/fake Italian stonework/statues and whatnot... kind of tacky but also fun and not taking itself too seriously! The staff seem very busy and sometimes rushed but they are still pleasant and make sure you have everything you need. Prices are medium range -- perfect for special occasions. Thanks, Zeffs!

Pros: Loads of vegan choice, Desserts om nom nom, Try the summer pudding!
Cons: Teeny tables!, Quite busy/noisy, Cruise ship decor ;) Not really a con...
logocar
logocar

Dinner at Zeffirellis

4 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2011

I had a lovely dinner at Zeffirellis.
Pros: They had quite a few vegan options on the menu and even specified the vegetarian wines on the wine list which was brilliant! The raspberry pudding (vegan) for dessert was excellent, I was tempted to order two.
Cons: The restaurant was a little expensive but that whole area is expensive so was not out of the ordinary. And they were very busy so the service was a little slow.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 06, 2011

Pros: Vegan options, Vego wine
Cons: Staff a bit slow, Expensive

pansypuss
pansypuss

Vegan choice

4 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2011

We ate there twice while on holiday in the Lake District. The vegan options were good but limited and they can not (in my experience) 'veganise' dishes. I ordered a pasta dish which the waitress said they could make vegan. It was terrible I ordered a tomato sauce to go with it as it was completely tasteless and dry and I wouldn't have eaten it. I am not a fussy eater (apart from my veganism) so for me to say this really is bad. I can veganise most dishes and they always are tasty so basically the chef lacks imagination. If they can't do better than that they should stick to the vegan choices and not veganise dishes. They could do with some more vegan sweets - chocolate! Ice-cream would be good as well.

Pros: All veggie, Friendly staff, Good value
Cons: Poor vegan choice
kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

Average food

3 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2009

Basic menu, international, but largely pizza & pasta based with the odd soup/casserole was uninspired, as was the food itself. Nothing bad going on here, just nothing special, the type of dishes you get too bored to eat, rather than full, before finishing your meal. Decent location, good staff, just nothing to write home about. And that's the crux of it: there's very little to say, because we are in the land of acceptably average.

Pros: Location, Large Portions, Prices
Cons: Mundane menu, Mundane Cuisine
  • Mimi Mimi

I love the phrase "acceptably average". Where, I would love to know, is the land of "delightfully delicious" or "amazingly ambitious"? Please tell me!
    I love Zeffs . . . but I think you are right about the context ;)

she who thinks
she who thinks

nice place

3 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2009

lovely place, popular you wouldn't know it was vegetarian without looking at the menu. staff were friendly unfortunately our waitress a bit slow and forgetful. The food was better than ok but nothing special especially for the price.Limited chice of desserts for vegans.

Pros: vegan options, all vegetarian, nice atmosphere
Cons: bit pricey
Mimi
Mimi

Great Place - Great Food

4 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2009

Have been to Zeffs a few times and have always found it a good place for vegans, also staff are very friendly. Recently went to the restaurant for an evening meal - it was excellent, tasty, beautifully prepared, and a lovely experience. Highly recommended.

Pros: Great Food, Vegan Friendly, Friendly Staff
Helenw
Helenw

A nice suprise!

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2008

We wandered in here when we were on holiday last summer not realising it was a veggie restaurant and I did my usual trick of scanning down the menu looking at anything marked with a 'V.' Only when my boyfriend said what he was having did it suddenly click that this was a veggie place and the 'V' acutally meant vegan rather than vegetarian! I was really plesantly suprised by this.

The food itself was gorgeous, we had three courses in the end. Can't recall exactly what we had, but I do remember that we really enjoyed it. The staff were very helpful and friendly, the atmosphere was good and I very much liked the style of the place. I would highly recommend it if you are in the area.

Pros: Wide choice of dishes, Friendly staff, Good food
Alyson
Alyson

Yum!

4 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2008

My partner and I were in the Lake District for 5 days and ate here twice in the evenings. We had absolutely no problem getting a table, but it was not peak tourist season. The waiters and waitresses were excellent, we had a great choice of vegan food, and all our meals were very tasty. Would highly recommend.

Pros: vegan options, friendly staff, flavoursome
Cons: only 2 vegan desserts
hunt3349
hunt3349

Recommended

4 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2008

Great restaurant with good selection of veggie dishes but not all of the cheeses (Parmesan and Mozzerella) on the evening I went were suitable for vegetarians. So it's best to check with the staff on the night as this information is not clear on the menu. After I did this I ordered a suitable starter and it turned up with Parmesan cheese grated on top! That said, it was quickly whisked away and replaced. Overall, the food was very good, the staff friendly and we had an enjoyable evening.

Pros: great food, good portions, helpful staff
Cons: not all cheeses suitable for veggies
alansmith100
alansmith100

Fab food

4 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2007

Hi ate here with my wife and we really enjoyed the food the place fills up very quickly and is huge the great thing for veggies is being able to order anything off the menu service was attentive and very quick considering how large the place is I was surprised at how good the food was we had a meal deal with the cinema. I agree its noisy but in a good way, as it was people chatting and having a good time rather than loud music. Book if going in peak season because they do get very busy, I think this is due to the fact that its probably serving the best food in Ambelside and everybody know it.

Pros: Great food, Great staff, well priced
Cons: gets very busy
marcstevens
marcstevens

Mixed feelings

2 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2007

We ate at Zeffirellis as part of a bargain cinema/meal deal on a jam-packed Saturday evening. The service was excellent and friendly, and we were amazed when the waitress not only pointed out the vegan options but produced a specially marked up menu which was much appreciated. Unfortunately the pizza without cheese that I ordered was indifferent and similar to that described in another review and the level of ambient noise was so high that I couldn't hear myself think - I won't be rushing back but really did appreciate the fact that for a change vegans were at least knowledgeably catered for in what is obviously a very popular venue.

Pros: Good value meal/cinema, Menu marked up for vegans, Nice and friendly staff
Cons: Very noisy, Lack of cheese on pizza, not compensated for
jonnie
jonnie

I beg to differ

2 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2006

Perusing the menu I could see there were going to be vegan difficulties and once again opted for pizza without you know what. The pizza was bland with a very chewy base. Garlic or chilli oil (to enliven it)was unavailable. I have never had such a flavourless pizza.

The dining room was dark and cramped and the service was indifferent.

Cons: Bad italian food, dark

Dear Owner and Manager of Zeffirellis: