Serves meat, veg options available. This Ethiopian restaurant is not vegetarian but has a vegetarian menu which includes lentil dishes, a chickpean dish, spinach dish and potato. Tangy, soft flat bread (injera) is served with food. Price: Moderate more-less
Ethiopian, Non-veg

First Review by Lu
fscribano
fscribano

Restaurant in poor condition

1 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2013

From outside the restaurant looks in poor condition, old and dirty. The menu on the door is faded and dirty, so we decided not to enter. It is close to the station.

Pros: Vegetarian menu
Cons: Old and dirty, Station, People inside
flash
flash

Not the best Ethopian place in Geneva

2 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2012

Well, its good but really not the best Ethopian restaurant I visited in Geneva. I will say its classic, friendy, and conventient because it open until late.

Pros: Open late, Near train station, Friendly
Cons: Not very clean, Old style
ChrisHarback
ChrisHarback

Great sense of community and great food

4 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2012

Since I speak almost no French I was a little nervous to visit this place after reading the existing reviews, but my wife was able to convey our vegan-ness to the staff using a little rough French and our 'Vegan Passport'. The meal itself was fantastic-- the gentleman who waited on us suggested the vegetarian combination, and it arrived with three Ethiopian dishes we're very familiar with, Misser Wot (spicy, stewed red lentils), Kik Alicha Wot (mild yellow split peas), and Tikel Gomen (curry-ish cabbage, carrots, and potatoes). I want to clarify a previous reviewer's mention of price: Geneva is among the top 5 most expensive cities in the world, so expecting to eat an enormous meal for $10US per person is unrealistic. Everything, down to the smallest bag of potato chips, is much more expensive than elsewhere. That said, Zara 2001 is quite a bargain. two servings of the vegetarian combination, plus two lagers, was 57 Swiss Francs, but included a huge portion-- much more than my wife and I were able to eat between us. As any vegan who's been to Geneva can attest, it's extremely hard to find enormous portions of good, hot vegan food, regardless of the price.

In terms of atmosphere, there was a great, very vibrant community of folks playing cards at the table behind us, which we really enjoyed. It really felt as though there's a huge community of regulars!

So, to summarize, friendly staff, huge portions, tasty, and cheap for Geneva!

Pros: Great food, Huge Portions, Nice atmosphere
Toadbitt
Toadbitt

Great food!

4 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful ethiopian style meal at Zara 2001. The place is very informal and many locals came and went to hang out with the owner(s.) Our food was fresh, flavorful and not too spicy. The primary language is french, which I speak, so translating could be a challenge for some guests. There were english speaking guests at the restaurant that could assist in ordering. The vegetarian plate on the ethiopian menu has no butter and Is completely vegan. If ordering from their Indian style food menu, be aware they may use ghee. I will say this was the best ethiopian food I have eaten in a long time.

Pros: Excellent Food, Fresh, Even still yummy to eat as a leftover at 3 am
Cons: A bit pricey
jewelsthemonkey
jewelsthemonkey

Good Eritrean food

3 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2011

The staff at Zara 2001 was very friendly and it is clearly the Eritrean hangout in Geneva.

Overall, the food was good, maybe a bit too spicy at times--but be careful as a vegan, as some items are made with ghee.

Like everything in Geneva, it is pretty expensive, but what can you do?

Worth a visit if you like Ethiopian/Eritrean food!

Pros: Portions, Friendly Staff, Good food
Cons: Ghee, A bit chilly

flmelrose
flmelrose

first timer Ethiopian food

4 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2010

I was skeptic about the hole in the wall restaurant when I searched in Geneva for a vegetarian place to eat. I'd read the other review before I ordered, so I went with the spinach dish. When it arrived, the nice man showed me how to eat it, bcz, I had no idea. Perhaps he saw that on my face when he served it to me. The wait time was not bad, not super quick, but not too long.
Cleanliness was ok, there were smokers watching the football game behind me, even though there is a no smoking sign. But the food was worth the wait. Fun to eat and yummy, filling to boot. I ate at 4, late lunch, won't need dinner.
That's about all.

Pros: close to main train station, reasonably priced, yummy
Cons: smoking, I could imagine it would be loud if full, no vegan options
Lu
Lu

Yum!

4 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2010

My husband's vegan and I'm vegetarian, we ordered the veg ethiopian platter and I ate all the spinach (cooked with butter). It was super tasty. We also got the shuro as well which was just a little on the spicy side. We are big eaters and were very full for a decent price. Though, we both ordered "limonade menthe" for our drinks, expecting a traditional sort of lemonade with some fresh mint added, and instead it was just like a mint syrup in water. We should've asked instead of assuming - but don't order it unless you want to suck your after-dinner mint through a straw.

Pros: Right amount of spicy, good service, very filling!
Cons: wtf mint lemonade, tiny bathroom

Dear Owner and Manager of Zara 2001: