Serves meat, veg options available. Upscale restaurant with moderate prices. Around 50% of the menu is vegetarian. Near subway Huangxidajie. Price: Moderate more-less
Veg-friendly, Non-veg
14 Sanzhong Alley (Xinghua Street, Daxing District)
Beijing, China
86-010-69251515
Closed now

Mon-Sun 10:00am-2:00pm, 5:00pm-9:00pm

First Review by enRoute
enRoute
enRoute

Strange place but worth seeking out

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

Wow... this place was a trip.

Starting w/getting there: not easy. The listing on HC had both the wrong address and the wrong geomarker. I headed out there and was looking around a neighborhood at least a mile from the restaurant. Long story short: it's off of Xinghua street, not Xinhua (getting to the bottom of that via telephone was... interesting). It s/b fixed now w/the exact location.

Secondly, although the name says "Tibetan Vegetarian Restaurant" in Chinese, this place is not Tibetan, nor is it vegetarian. It used to be all vegetarian, but is now a mix of meat and veg. The food is strictly fancy Beijing mock meats, mushrooms, etc., but is quite distinctive. I believe that they started including meat dishes a few years ago after it was sold. I'd say not to even bother asking them why it's called "Tibet-Style" unless you like awkward moments. There is a bit of Tibetan decor, including a Tintin poster in the restroom, but that's about it.

My experience there was a bit surreal. Walked in after finally getting there (it takes around 30 minutes on line 4 from the center). The closest stop is Huangcunxidajie. It's not in an area where any foreigners tend to go... to be honest I'm not sure what's out there, I believe some large hospitals and universities. It's not on Xinghua street as the original listing stated, but rather, down the small alleyway.

The first level is a small, intimate cafe, and I thought that was it. The menu is very hard to puzzle out for an English speaker, as there is absolutely no indication which dishes are meat and veg. They're pictured, but they all look fairly alike. It helps to be clear and persistent... but basically, a whole swath is designated veg.

After I order, the girl said "let me take you to the real restaurant. Follow me." Huh? So we went upstairs and I realized the place was huge, very fancy, and rocking. Almost completely full. Lavish booths. I later found out that there's even another level with huge dining rooms upstairs that was filled with over 100 people.

I had some very nice veggie pork and rice... although the feeling is very upscale, there are many dishes that can be had for fairly cheap. I'd be happy to go back and try more of the several dozen vegan and veg creations of theirs.

So by all means check this place out if you're feeling adventurous, but the other branch of this (there are two) near the north entrance of Behai Park is far more accessible to foreigners, and has much better English speakers

Pros: Very stylish atmosphere, Incredibly Friendly, Unique dishes
Cons: Very far from the center, Veg dishes not marked clearly, Little or no English
  • enRoute enRoute

Cheers to HC for getting this sorted out so quickly! The address and geomarker is now correct. Not much reason to travel out to those parts, but it's an easy trip so there's many reasons not to.

Dear Owner and Manager of Zangsu Fengge: