No storefront; its retail location at 9 Liberty St had shut down in early 2013. Now offers baked goods by custom orders only. Uses natural ingredients like coconut oil, coconut milk, organic coconut oil, chia seeds, kosher salt, and King Arthur flours. more-less

First Review by wtfveganfood
wtfveganfood
wtfveganfood

Meh, but vegan sweets

1 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2012

I was super excited when I passed by a storefront that featured the words "vegan" and "vegetarian" on the window. I was in Newburyport to go to Revitalive Cafe and hadn't heard about Zac and Ani's Bakery. I decided to stay an extra night just so I could visit them the next day, since they had closed early on this day.

I did some research (as I'm currently only visiting establishments that are at least 80% vegan) and only found information stating that they are vegan and vegetarian.

When I arrived the next day I was disappointed to see very few vegan and vegetarian options on their menu, next to an abundance of meat- and dairy-laden options. Also, when I asked the person at the counter a few questions about their vegan items he sort of stammered his way through and based on the words he used I got the impression he didn't know much about vegan food in general.

Regardless, I ordered the "BLT." It wasn't very good. Two dry pieces of bread with romaine, tomato, and flavorless (direct from the package) tempeh loosely sitting in the middle. It also came with some really hard bread chip things. I think they were like, bagel bites or something.

The only redeeming factor was the vegan cinnamon roll. But to be honest, it looked store bought and I'm not even confident that it was vegan.

Oh and the seating/environment/vibe wasn't bad. I'd go to sit and do work if they have free wifi (not sure if they do).

With Revitalive Cafe within walking distance though, I wouldn't bother with Zac and Ani's, if you're looking for quality vegan food in Newburyport.

Pros: fun decor, vegan sweets
Cons: not many vegan options, vegan options not very tasty, lack of knowledge about vegan food
  • zacandanis zacandanis

Hello wtfveganfood, I am just reading your review for the first time, I see that you wrote it several months ago, so for the lack of time sensitivity I apologize. Clearly you didn't have very good visit with us, which is very unfortunate, by the sounds of it you were looking forward to your visit. I do have good news to report, since your visit we have become fully vegan/vegetarian bakery cafe. We have also increased our daily selection of baked goods and switched to using organic coconut oil for all of our baking needs. we still have hearty sandwiches like a vegan reuben panini and also have lighter fair like a vegan tofu salad wrap. And increased our beverage selection by double. Even though your review was a little painful for me to read as the owner, it was definitely and eye opener and I believe we have made some very positive and significant changes. I would greatly appreciate you giving us a second chance and see what you think. If you would like to introduce your self next time you come in, your meal will be on me. Thank you for your input, hopefully next time you write, it will be a 180 degree difference. Thank you, Brian

Dear Owner and Manager of Zac and Ani's Bread: