Name in Chinese is 鈺善閣素食. Popular with vegetarian Taiwanese celebrities, this is a high-end, haute cuisine Japanese restaurant. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Gourmet, Japanese, Banquet
14, Beiping East Road (Shandao Temple MRT)
Taipei, Taiwan
02-2394-5155

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by linjamie
sglcklch
sglcklch

Good but pricey

Posted on 05 / 10 / 2014

Here's where you come to feel special. The décor was elegant; the staff was well-trained and professional; the service was superb; the food was an art in its own right. However, that does come with a price—set meals, which are all served kaiseki-style, start at TW$980 (≈US$32) per person and can go all the way up to a whopping TW$4880 (≈US$162)!

We ordered the TW$980 and the TW$1380 set and shared everything. The dish presentation was exquisite, if not a little bit OTT at times. The starter soups were very good, but as the meal went on, I felt that many courses looked better than they tasted. The ingredients seemed repetitive and the flavors weak for the most part, although the fact that we were sharing bite-sized food might also have had an impact on our overall experience. That said, the two main courses were truly outstanding—a lion’s mane mushroom stir-fry and said mushrooms in black pepper sauce. These mushrooms have an incredibly meaty and complex texture that puts the much-loved portobello to shame. If we do come back, we will probably just order them and a couple of dishes a la carte and call it a night.

Our meal set us back about TW$2500 (≈US$83), which was a splurge in a city with such a strong and vibrant veggie scene. The food here was decent enough—a few courses were delicious—but not that great to justify that price level (and, remember, we picked the cheapest options). The atmosphere was fancy and the service was impeccable, so there’s that.

Pros: service, décor
Cons: price
camerongreen
camerongreen

One of the best

Posted on 10 / 08 / 2012

This is one of the best vegetarian restaurants in the world. The presentation is just so lovely, they bought me a tiny sesame dumpling in a jar, on a piece of driftwood, with an orchid in a vase on it. I didn't want to eat it, but when I did, that dumpling was one of the most beautiful things I've ever put in my mouth. This was just one of 10 courses. I went back on my last day in Taipei (and to Ever Green buffet) and even though frankly I was dressed like a hobo by Taiwanese standards, the waitresses were all really happy to see me again and treated me even better than the first time. It's expensive, but you only live once, so pay whatever they ask, think only about how beautiful food can look and taste and how lucky you are to be there, and savour the moment as it might be a long time before you get a chance to eat at a place this good again.

OK having said all that, as a vegan they did serve me a drink with honey in it, so make sure you let them know when you order.

Pros: Artistry, Flavours, Uniqueness
Cons: Make sure it's vegan
MaitreyaBelmore
MaitreyaBelmore

Truly Amazing - Sensationally Magical!

Posted on 06 / 08 / 2010

This swanky vegetarian restaurant is one of its kind! Everyone is treated like royalties. I was lucky to get a taste of their 10 course lunch meals (NT 1,080.00 pp), with an extensive range of appetisers, main meals, and desserts. Every dishes was like beautiful dreams - very nice. And the main meal - steak - was really awesome! Every dish was cooked to perfection and explained by the lovely waitress the name, ingredients, and the health benefit for the diners.
An unforgettable lunch - a must when you visit Taipei!

Pros: Swanky Interior, Beautiful Food, Great service
Cons: Quite pricey, One and only, Why not in my area?

savagen
savagen

Excellent

Posted on 07 / 13 / 2008

Great food, beautifully presented, great service. However, I wasn't a fan of the tea (tasted burnt to me...)but I think that was how it was supposed to be.

We had the steak set meal (cheapest set meal) and it was amazing. I think it was mad out of mushrooms..

We'll definitely go back to try the other set meals...

The food is pricey, but worth it!

Pros: Great Food, Great Atomosphere, Great Service
Cons: Expensive
skymonkey
skymonkey

luxurious dining

Posted on 06 / 21 / 2008

i agree with the other reviewer. this place pampers you, and the presentation is amazing. after they helped me put on a bib and gave me a bowl of water with rose to wash my hand, i cannot help but think that this may be too rich for my blood. i am the kind of person who honestly feel more comfortable eating at a street vendor, as long as the food is good. but if you are looking for a luxurious dining experience and have the money, this is the place for you.

linjamie
linjamie

Top of the top!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on 01 / 28 / 2008

This place pampers and amazes your taste buds and eyes, with every piece of food delicately carved, arranged, and decorated, with the best ingredients. Both the food and the atmosphere is gorgeous.

This is probably Taipei's most expensive vegetarian restaurant (and worth it!). The cheapest set is around NT$980, and consists of 9 small dishes, each one a work of art. There are also sets for NT$1680 and NT$2980.

If you can afford it, this place is a must-try! Only one MRT stop from Taipei main station.

Pros: Gorgeous setting, Delicious, Like eating an art gallery
Cons: Expensive