Serves meat, veg options available. A vegetarian friendly restaurant in Chicago. Has a smoothie bar and many mock meat dishes. Formerly Szechuan Garden. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Take-out, Non-veg

Vegan Vagabond
Vegan Vagabond

Best Vegan Chinese in Chicago

Posted on 05 / 04 / 2014

This place is omni, but they have a very large vegetarian/vegan section of their menu. They are well versed on what vegan is and they are committed to making sure that there is no cross contamination and that all items are truly vegan.

I have eaten here many time and I have never had a bad meal. Nobody I have ever sent here has had a bad meal. It's, well, Yummy!

Pros: Large vegan friendly menu, Great food, Good prices
Cons: Small /limited seating
lolamigas
lolamigas

Favorite Chinese

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2013

I looove coming here for greasy Chinese comfort food. I usually get cashew gluten or the lo mein.

Pros: delicious
Cons: small
BanjoGirl
BanjoGirl

Yummy Yummy Yummy Yummy!

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2011

I love this place! It is a tiny hole in the wall, but the owner is very nice, and there are MANY veg options. My favorite is the mongolian seitan. It is so good, I can't seem to make myself try anything else!

pebble
pebble

Yummy Yummy Indeed

Posted on 07 / 08 / 2011

We love this place! They have a great vegetarian menu. My favorite dishes are the Mongolian seitan (the best!) and the cashew soy gluten. Other good dishes are sweet & sour soy gluten, sesame soy gluten and soy gluten with tomato & green pepper.

Pros: excellent food, good value
Cons: small
JulieV
JulieV

I love Yummy Yummy

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2011

The menu has changed and gotten smaller but they still make great dishes, lots of which are vegan. The staff is friendly and they let me bring in my own togo ware so that I'm not wasting containers.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday July 21, 2009

Pros: great food, good value, good portions
Cons: small location, a little noisy
anaveryisland
anaveryisland

Grrr, $50 bill and not so yummy food.

Posted on 02 / 21 / 2011

My boyfriend and I were VERY excited to find a chinese restaurant that had tons of veg options, as well as meat options for him. While ordering online, I noticed that by their name, they had some slogan about being veg and healthy. This, coupled with the long list of smoothies, made the 45 minute wait for delivery unbearable! So, I just finished eating, and yeah, not so good. I got the BBQ seitan, and it was hard, chewy, and very difficult to chew. Ate half of one- waste of $6. Next, I had the spring rolls, which were okay. For my meal, I had the sweet and sour gluten. Out of all of my experiences with faux chinese "meats", this was by the far the worst. And it was $11!!!! Also, we had the miso soup, which again was okay. Even my meat eating bf, who just got spicy chicken & wings, was not impressed. Which really says alot, since as I remember, it is pretty hard to mess up chicken, and my bf is no foodie.

Also, the bill was $50! SOOOOOOO not worth it. I read the reviews AFTER eating, and I think maybe if you had never had faux chinese meats before, maybe you could enjoy it. But, as a vegan for 2 years, and a vegetarian for 15, it did NOT cut it.

Will not go back.

Pros: Delivery , Smoothies
Cons: Expensive, Not good
alebovic
alebovic

Would go back, but to try something different

Posted on 05 / 11 / 2009

BBQ seiten is great! Good sauce on crunchy outside texture.

It was only me and another table that ate there, but people came in for takeout at least once every 3-4 min (at 8-9pm). A couple people came in just for a smoothie, but I thought my mango lechee without tapioca was marginal.

Sesame wheat gluten was in an "okay" peanut-tasting sauce over veggie balls that are bland on the inside. They are probably the same veggie balls in any other wheat gluten dish, just different sauce.

I would come back for the BBQ seiten, but not for the seasame wheat gluten.

Sophie
Sophie

Best chinese food ever!!

Posted on 03 / 04 / 2009

This is disgusting in some ways but my boyfriend and I are so hooked on the veg wonton soup we get it a couple times a week ... plus the pan fried potstickers, eggplant garlic sauce, curry fried rice, empress soy gluten, orange soy gluten, mongolian seitan. The kung pao soy gluten is so-so and the kim chi soy gluten lo mein is no good. Dont get the hot and sour soup...its so salty!! The mango lychee smoothies are awesome!!

Pros: Excellent food, Good Value, Large selection
Cons: Small tables (2 seats), Some foods are too salty, Fortune cookies have egg
yourfacehxc
yourfacehxc

Two words - TAKE OUT!

Posted on 12 / 28 / 2008

I was very excited to try this American-Chinese veg spot in Chicago's Lakeview neighborhood, conveniently located about a mile from where I live. I had read many positive reviews on how great the food was and couldn't wait to try it out. Upon arriving to Yummy Yummy I was almost shocked at how small the actual restaurant was. Literally just a tiny little rectangle with some tables. Regardless, my friend and I sat down and scanned the extensive menu of both veg and non-veg options. I decided on the orange mock chicken and I believe she had the sesame mock chicken. After ordering I politely asked the waitress if she'd mind turning up the heat (seeing as it was about 15 degrees outside and honestly not much warmer inside, it was FREEZING). She replied that the building controls the heat so I asked if she'd please ask the building to turn up the heat. She gave me a shrug and walked away then returned to ask if we'd like to move 6 feet to the other side of the restaurant next to the heater (ehem, which was NOT on, mind you). Our waitress returned not once, not twice, but THREE times to confirm that I did indeed want the orange mock chicken (did I mention there was only one other couple in the restaurant besides us?). The food finally came after an unreasonable wait and while good, felt more like a bunch of soy gluten balls tossed over some sauce and rice. I wasn't particularly impressed however I didn't mind eating it either. Overall I was pretty disappointed with Yummy Yummy. While far from the worst Chinese food I've ever had, there is also better when made correctly. I may eat here again in the future however I will definitely be ordering take out from now on. 1 star for restaurant and service, 3.5 stars for food.

Pros: Large portions., Good, not great food.
Cons: Useless wait staff., Bit expensive., The actual restaurant is AWFUL.
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Updated Review, Not As Yummy...

Posted on 12 / 26 / 2008

This is an update to my original review. I ate here last night [it was very busy of course]; however, I will say I wasn't too impressed with the food this time around. My friend and I ordered two dishes to share. They were the twice baked wheat gluten and the soy protein in garlic sauce. I didn't really care for either of them too much - and something was really off with the garlic sauce. I don't intend on going out of my way for the place again, but if I'm in the area sure...but maybe just for some of the bubble tea and BBQ Seitan.

Original review [Posted on: Saturday, July 26, 2008]
I just ate here for dinner; I wasn't too hungry so I ordered and appetizer -- I ordered the BBQ Seitan and it was EXCELLENT! I also ordered a banana and strawberry smoothie with boba, it was also very good. I will definitely make it back here.

nhevalow
nhevalow

Not so appetizing...

Posted on 11 / 03 / 2008

My boyfriend and I just ate here this weekend. They had a great selection, and good bubble tea. Our food came out and it was delicious. Everything was great until the 2-3 inch cockroach came scurrying across the floor at us. To make it worse, the waitress came running over and crushed the poor thing right in front of us. We were horrified. I will not be returning to this place, which is a shame since it has such a variety.

Pros: Delicious Food, Good Selection, Awesome Bubble Tea
Cons: Giant Cockroaches, Do not humanely deal with roach issue
AnnaMaus
AnnaMaus

Veg Chinese done right!

Posted on 06 / 29 / 2008

Not the cheapest in the city, but definitely the best. The portions more than make up for the slightly higher price, the staff is quite friendly and accommodating. Their delivery area is deceptively large. If you're near the lake on the north side, they probably deliver to you.

Pros: flavor, quality, value
Cons: small interior
mourn-me-in-skirt
mourn-me-in-skirt

goo-covered soy ball

Posted on 03 / 29 / 2008

Don't get me wrong-- I live for American "Chinese" food. But they could improve their vegetarian offerings a lot by making the veggie stuff a little bit tastier. I ordered the veggie Lemon Chicken, which came out as TVP balls covered in lemon sauce. Would have been much better if they had bothered to batter and deep fry the TVP balls first. My dining companion had a similarly dismal experience-- he HATES American "Chinese" food, and was disappointed to find not a single non-American item on the menu. This place has a lot of potential to be great-- it just isn't right now.

rebecca
rebecca

FRIED TOFU, BABY!

Posted on 03 / 21 / 2008

They have a huge veggie menu you can eat there for weeks and not get bored. Most chinese places don't offer these type of veggie options. If you are craving veggie versions of classic fried chinese options like sweet and sour chicken, it's worth the trip. Lost of veggie soups and appetizers too. My favorite is the orange soy gluten, deep fried meaty bites glazed in an orange sauce. The owner is friendly. Prices are a bit high but you get a good size dish that is really impossible to eat at one time, so factor in sharing a dish and appetizer or have left overs.

Pros: mock meats, friendly, convenient location
Cons: small place , price

Dear Owner and Manager of Yummy Yummy: