Large green sign above the door reads "Vegetariano." Offers a la carte or all-you-can-eat buffet on the second floor, daily 1-5pm. A la carte menu includes fresh juices, breakfast, lunch, dinner meals, veggie burgers, sandwiches, salads, and Mexican food. Nice space with plenty of seating. 5 minutes walk from Zona Rosa. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto Western, International, Mexican, Juice bar, Bakery, Buffet
Varsovia 3B, Colonia Juarez (Metro: Insurgentes)
Mexico City, Mexico 06600

Mon-Fri 7:00am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-8:00pm

First Review by vacavaca
maynard7
maynard7

Good food

4 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2014

I went here for lunch on a Sunday afternoon and I found the food to be good. It was 90 pesos for the set meal, although the price can vary depending on the options you choose. Came with drink, soup, salad, main plate, bread basket and dessert. Overall a very good meal and it was nice that they were open on Sunday. The waiter was friendly too.

Pros: Flavors, Attention to nutritional value
frads
frads

Okay Place, Lost on Vegan

3 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2014

This restaurant is decent. The lunch is better than breakfast as far as vegan options- at least I think it is. The waiters all seem to have no idea what vegan means.

I visited 3 or 4 times during my stay in Mexico because there aren't many options for vegans there. Each time I had a different waiter. One had an idea what vegan meant and was helpful. Everyone else was baffled and completely unhelpful in terms of substitutions.

Pros: Prices, Space, Friendly Staff
Cons: No clue what vegan means, Almost no vegan breakfast options
Evguy422
Evguy422

Not bad, not great

3 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2014

Decent place. If you're vegetarian you should be set. But if you're vegan, not as much. Almost every dish (in fact i think every dish) has eggs or cheese in it. Not as part of it, but as a main part of it. They're willing to leave it out, but then you're stuck with a lack luster meal. Also for a vegetarian place they seemed to have no clue what a vegan is.

Went there a few times because the coffee was decent and there just aren't many veggie options in Mexico City. But with each waiter had to explain what being vegan is. The food was okay, not great.

I wouldn't say don't go, but doesn't have to be a top option.

Pros: Vegetarian, Good Coffee, Not bad price
Cons: No clue what a vegan is, Food is just okay

veganvixenamy
veganvixenamy

fresh juice, authentic Mexican vegan-accommodating breakfast

3 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2014

I just went here for breakfast. My friend and I each got a juice, and we split the one vegan bread/pastry (pictured), and the enchiladas made vegan. A filling breakfast and reasonably priced. It was good. My friend speaks spanish and I do not and he verified with the waiter that the one pastry was vegan. A nice start to our trip!

Pros: vegan pastry, vegan enchildas, juice!
Cons: limited english, heavy on the omelette offerings , centrally located
saveur
saveur

Not impressed

2 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2013

I went here based on the positive reviews but was severely underwhelmed. Our dishes were heavy of faux meats with limited flavour. In fact, my dish was mainly cold, oily and dry faux meat with corn tacos. My friend had a bun with sauce and cheese, that honestly was not that appealing. Perhaps their buffet is better, but we arrived too early. It only runs 1-5pm everyday.

SimoneTracey
SimoneTracey

Vegetarian Mecca in Mexico

4 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2013

Excellent, friendly service and a lot on offer but it is really a great place for Vegetarians to try more traditional Mexican dishes. I seriously got stuck into a soy strip hot pot which included whole baby onions and cactus. Yug was also offering Mexico's seasonal speciality of stuffed (soy) mince peppers draped in walnut sauce and sprinkled with pomegranate seed. All very exotic. I did not realise there was a buffet on another floor...An excuse to get back to Mexico City oneday soon.

choogirl
choogirl

Good vegan lunch

4 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2013

I had the lunch menu of the day which was fruit, bread, mole verde with soya meat and veggie rice as the main, and more fruit in a sweet syrup for dessert. I also had a juice. The meal was good and I especially liked the mole verde, which I had not tried before. However, the staff could have been a bit more attentive. The waiter walked off while I was trying to ask him what was vegan and I had to wait til he came back.

Overall the menu looked really good, and I wish I tried the buffet upstairs too, but I ran out of time in Mexico City.

Pros: Lots of options, Good value
ronitw
ronitw

Great Vegetarian Plcae, Good for Vegans

5 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2013

We liked the Torta Azteca, Tacos al Pastor and Molcajete Mexicano with cheese served on the side for the non-vegans in our group. Fresh salsa was good too. We took leftovers home and some carnivores enjoyed the flavors too! Friendly service, nice experience.

Pros: Tasty, Vegan friendly
enRoute
enRoute

one of the originals and one of the best!

5 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2012

So nice coming back to this place after a while... a real, traditional, no-holds-barred vegetarian institution, they have a fantastic and varied buffet (do not miss this!), as well as an extensive menu with creative but old-school versions of Mexican specialties. Easily one of the top 10 spots in the city.

Pros: varied, authentic, nice location
denes
denes

Really nice staff and good food

4 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2012

I went there with my vegetarian wife and son, a carnivore Mexican friend and I am vegan with a high raw diet. The place is nice, simple not fancy but clean. Staff is super nice and helpful. All the dishes were really nice and even our carnivore friend was impressed with the food. I am used to a little more raw on my plate, but still I enjoyed the very Mexican vegan dish. My family loved theirs too. The juices were excellent.

Pros: Nice staff, Good food, Veg/vegan options
Chia
Chia

Recommendable

4 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Yug review.

This place is one of the better vegetarian restaurants in the city. There is a large menu, and most of the items seemed appetizing. Though some items may be heavy on the soy meats, so it's good to share.

Pros: easy to find, many choices
morius
morius

Vegetarian Mexican dishes... What could be better!

5 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2012

I went to this restaurant twice. I always felt Mexico City was not really a vegetarian friendly place, but that's been changing in the last couple of years.
I always imagined that vegetarian restaurants would offer generic vegetarian dishes, but Yug offers so much more than that:
Apart from the traditional Mexican meatless dishes, Yug has created vegetarian versions of traditional Mexican dishes. The menu offers many options, too.

I came here with 4 other family members (none of whom are vegetarian apart from me) and we all loved it. And trust me, when I say that my meat-loving family enjoyed a vegetarian restaurant it means it must have been pretty good.

It's also quite close to the Angel of Independence (which is actually called "Column of Independence" and it's not an Angel but the Greek Goddess of victory "Nike", but I digress), so if you're a tourist you can go there and take pictures of that famous monument.

The prices are really cheap, compared to what my family of 5 would've spent in some other restaurant.

If you go to Mexico City and want to try some Mexican dishes with the vegetarian twist, go here!

Pros: Authentic Mexican dishes, Very tasty, lots of options, Cheap
msvegan
msvegan

The Best Lunch Buffet in Town

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2011

There lunch buffet is delicious and well worth making the effort to go to. The Downstairs menu is delicious as well. Seasonal specialties. Amazing Tacos.

Pros: Fab Lunch Buffet, Delicious, Great selection
ulpu
ulpu

A sympathetic place!

4 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2011

The service was very nice and vegan food was not an issue. Just make sure you remind them enough about leaving the dairy out as most portions are originally vegetarian. Salads and smoothies were big as well as everything else. Mainly burgers, pasta and Mexican food. At lunch time the buffet upstairs was excellent and even a vegan could find enough to eat. The salads were many and good. Celery, beet etc. fresh juice included!

Pros: Vegan options can be fixed, Service, Price
Cons: English not always spoken
honesth
honesth

GREAT FOOD- EXCELLENT FIND!

4 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2010

It was a joy to find this place, worth a visit to this part of town. Far superior to the other veg restaurants in the city. Mexican food with protein for veggies! Yea! Reasonably priced and delicious- even meat eating partner rated it. Staff were very lovely.

Pros: delicious food, nice staff, Good value
sfreiber
sfreiber

Great variety

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2009

I thought the food was excellent and they offered great variety. The staff was also very helpful accommodating to vegan needs. The atmosphere is fun and colorful. They also sell baked goods and fake meat products at the front of the restaurant.

luvs2travel
luvs2travel

Favorite Vegetarian Restarant in Mexico City

5 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2009

We went here for lunch and ordered the vegetarian "meat", Mexican style. It must've been seitan/gluten but looked and tasted so much like beef that it was amazing. The large portion was served with small tortillas, guacamole, refried beans and small slices of lime. AWESOME!! I also chose a fruit drink called the Flamingo which was really good. Staff is very attentive. I will certainly return here on my next visit to Mexico City!

Pros: good value, friendly staff, excellent food
neekole
neekole

yug

3 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2009

this was very easy to find and in a nice neighborhood. it was hard to communicate with the staff to find out what was vegan in the lunch buffet. they had a soy meat in the lunch buffet, which was tasty. the rest of the buffet was average in taste and variety. price was decent. 75 pesos for all you can eat lunch buffet.

westcornersville
westcornersville

2 Restaurants in 1 with the Buffet

5 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2009

There's a buffet upstairs, open something like 1-5 PM (every day--even Sunday!), and the restaurant downstairs is open most of the day (including dinner) every day of the week. Both upstairs and downstairs are good and have a pretty good variety. Both are moderately vegan-friendly. Like others have mentioned--lots of soy meats (to give you approximations of the meat-based items in Mexican cuisine). The buffet price is 75 pesos during the week and 80 pesos on the weekend--a meal downstairs costs a similar amount.

Pros: variety, taste, convenient location in Zona Rosa
lunalunaluna
lunalunaluna

the best vegetarian place in Mexico City

5 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2008

I recommend the lunch buffet, which costs between 60 and 80 pesos (it's a bit more expensive on the weekends). When you enter the Yug, walk upstairs for the buffet. The buffet usually has several salads (some fruit salads, some green salads), a soup, and a couple of main dishes, which usually are Mexican food with some sort of fake meat. I usually encounter a couple of salads I don't like, a few excellent dishes, and some interesting combinations that are strange but good. Your meal will come with a choice between two delicious flavors of "aguas frescas" and a dessert that is usually somewhat dry and boring. If you're not ready for a little bit of an adventure, you probably won't like the Yug buffet. About 3/4 of the people I have taken there love it and leave really happy. Another 1/4 (usually the less culinarily adventurous) hate it.

If you're ordering from the menu, I recommend the tacos al pastor.

Pros: great aguas frescas, tacos al pastor are excellent, lots of variety
Cons: creamy apple salads, dry and boring desserts
goldie
goldie

Title

4 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2008

Ate here several times in Jan 08. Very good food. English menus available. Refried beans were great.

vacavaca
vacavaca

Wonderful place

4 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2008

This is an interesting restaurant that gets a good and varied crowd of working folks from the area. There is a fixed and regular lunch menu. The fixed menu is a great value, with a lot of food! You must specify about cream, cheese, and eggs if you are vegan.
There regular menu offers a great variety of Mexican dishes and I highly recommend the Enchiladas with Mole. They also have great fruit drinks, coffee, etc. All in all a good atmosphere, great food, and great service.

Pros: wonderful food, healthy options, large servings

Dear Owner and Manager of Yug: