Yuan Vegetarien

Vegetarian Chinese restaurant. The extensive menu features a variety of mockmeats in addition to noodle, rice, vegetarian sushi, dinner specials, bubble tea, and more. Complimentary tea is served with meal. Has a lunch buffet. Moved from Sherbrook East July 2010. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Asian, Buffet
2115 St-Denis (Sherbrooke Metro station or Berri-UQAM 15-min walk)
Montreal, Quebec H2X 3K8
514-8480513

Open Tue-Fri 11am-3pm, 5-10pm, Sat-Sun 12-10pm.

First Review by molly
samIam5
samIam5

Among the best

4 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2014

Mock meat restaurants I have visited-in regard to food. Comparable to Bamboo in Seattle. Decent prices. Great selection. Mediocre service.

TableForOne
TableForOne

Great for vegans

5 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2014

I had the set meal which included miso soup, a bento box style main, and a green tea for afters.

In the bento box there were dumplings, a seaweed salad, broccoli, brown rice, fresh edamame and a sautéed tofu dish with sweet basil.

It was a very satisfying meal in a spacious, calm environment with friendly, helpful staff. The music was low key and quiet.

Perhaps a bit on the pricey side, but the meal was very good.

Pros: Excellent food, Good atmosphere
Cons: A little expensive
Guest
Guest

Loved the steamed buns

4 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2014

Went there with my husband and baby and had a great time (they have highchairs). Ordering off the all you can eat list works great because the food is delivered hot, fresh, and in small enough portions that even a couple can try a lot of items. We did four rounds of ordering small amounts to prevent wasting (and having to pay for) food. I recommend the Chinese broccoli, the steam buns, and the wonton soup. It was all pretty tasty but be careful not to order too many of the mock meat dishes.

Pros: Tables nicely spaced apart, Tasty food, Nice decor
Babette
Babette

All you can eat!

5 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2014

I highly recommend the all you can eat deal, where you can really eat A LOT!

All items that are not vegan are clearly indicated.

Perfect for large groups and for sharing.

Lots of fried food and mock meats.

I recommend the vegan fish with lemon sauce, the vegan sea food fried with salt and pepper, the chinese broccoli and the tempura. And the curries.

Cons: toilet could be better
Parrie
Parrie

Love this place

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2014

I have been vegetarian for over 20 years. I and my husband always go to Yuan for supper. We love the buffet menu very much. The owner is very nice. We just love everything here :)

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly stuffs
Cons: Parking spot

Astonangel
Astonangel

Good if you are into mock meat....

4 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2013

Very good appetizers, some interesting dishes in the Chet's special section. Excellent shiitake mushroom dish. Not so good an experience with the brown rice. Excellent setting - serene white warm but calm.

Pros: Extensive menu, Good service
Cons: Quite heavy on mock meat
Grabsy
Grabsy

Great for mock-meat lovers

4 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2013

Yuan is the place we go to when we want to pig out. All you can eat of a variety of mock meats, sushi and more. You pay a flat fee and then are given a paper where you write down what you want to eat and then they bring it to you. Afterwards you can do a second round but be careful not to eat to much as you will be charged for anything you do not finish.

Pros: delicious mock meat, huge portions, location
Cons: decor
chikitawita
chikitawita

Best Wonton Soup!

4 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2012

We came in, and it was very zen. The waiter was so cute(humble) and genuinely nice/zen. I got the wonton soup which was so good! I crave it to this day. My bf got General Tao Chik'n which was really good as well. Nice texture.

Pros: Amazing Food, Good Staff, Zen
Cons: A bit dark lighted, Still new/ front cash a bit messy
lindatheveg
lindatheveg

In praise of Yuan

5 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2012

I love this place and often go there with friends so we can share dishes. The food is always creative and great tasting. The family who own and run it are truly beautiful, generous, and kind people. I think that comes through in their offering. I even bring omnivores here and they love it.

Pros: tremendous variety - visual and taste, good nutritious food, presentation and service
Cons: the acoustics are not great
MJG
MJG

• non-vegetarian

Great value

4 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2012

Any restaurant where my girlfriend can eat all the dishes is good in my books. It's true that some of the dishes have no seasoning and others are really salty and heavy, but you can't argue with the price!

Another reviewer said that the server did not offer drinks and that was my experience too. They also had trouble with their 1 wireless card reader though fortunately we had enough cash to pay the bill. They really should have a wired backup at the bar.

I would go back. The location is close to many spots including the national library and theatres.

I'll rate it very good because they are not pretending to be extravagant veg cuisine, they deliver a full belly at the right price.

Pros: great value, AYCE!
Cons: Hit and miss dishes
fanciful bean
fanciful bean

Just okay

3 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2012

Yuan was close to our hotel, so we had to try it. We were kind of disappointed that no one asked us if we wanted anything to drink other than water. We weren't even offered tea and didn't see any on the menu. The menu had a few too many mock meats for my liking and not enough creativity. The pumpkin curry was delicious but very salty. Like I said, it was just okay.

jacqui
jacqui

Best buffet, tasty veggie food

5 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2012

This place was easy to find, and really professional looking for a veggie restaurant. I decided to go for the buffet menu for $20 +tax, which was as much as you can eat, tea and pudding (ice cream or rice cake). You can order as you go - you mark a paper menu with a few things you'd like to try, and can order more as you go so you don't waste food. What is great is that the food is freshly cooked to order, and tasty and the service was good too (a steady flow of dishes). The tempura was great, really crispy, the dim sum was nice and the mock meat dishes good too. If I was in Montreal again, I would not hesitate to return here because it was so nice.

Pros: Value for money, Tasty, Variety
stepeddie
stepeddie

Enjoyable Asian Vegan-Vegetarian Meals

3 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2012

They have many meal selections based on Asian flavours (mainly Chinese style).
We ordered a few dishes from their a la cart menu.
Frankly speaking, their meals are not super fantastic, but decent and enjoyable to eat. It is worth to try and I may be going back when I will visit Montreal again.
What I was a little disappointed are they have only a little selection of beverages (non alcohol) and desserts. They have only two kinds of desserts: ice cream (non vegan) or rice cake. Otherwise, you can get fortune cookies and smile when you pay.

warino
warino

Obsessed with all you can eat? Go!

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2012

Recreational eating has always been a guilty pleasure. I will poo-poo the idea in public, but probably would indulge in private, if given the vegan opportunity. Well, thanks to the fact that the head office of my company is based in Montreal, every time I am in town, I come to Yuan for their vegan AYCE experience, really one of a kind for Canada. You basically can order from an entire menu of small plates of delicious Asian treats, like sushi, dim sum, noodles and small size entrees. Most everything is vegan, except for a few items made of processed ingredients that contain either egg or whey protein. I cannot vouch for the healthiness of the food (seems like Chinese vegan food and mockmeats have a lot of sodium, to my palate), but for a once in a while guilty pleasure, the food is super yummy. My favorites are the seaweed salad, salt and pepper fried "shrimp", the fabulous Montreal style wontons in peanut sauce, the lemon "chicken", the singapore noodles, and the curry "steak". The sushi is OK to me, but I am not a big fan of sushi in general. The service is pleasant, although once in a while you might have a server that does not understand either English or French. The prices are extremely reasonable, given the quantity of food you could theoretically order, but even if you were to choose the a la carte menu, the prices are still quite reasonable. The new decor is charming, but can be a little cold, especially in the section in the back of the restaurant near the washrooms, and on a weeknight when the restaurant is not full. But, this is really an unimportant detail in my opinion. I think Yuan is one of the best mostly vegan Chinese restaurants in Canada, and highly recommend a visit!! Plus, they have a great selection of frozen mockmeats and dishes to purchase in their mini market - a rarity for Montreal!!

Pros: Tasty, Delicious food, Quantity of Food, Price
Cons: Salt content of some mockmeats, Bit of language barrier, Some non vegan items
stretchwithgumby
stretchwithgumby

what a pleasant dinner!

5 Posted on 10 / 15 / 2011

I just had dinner at Yuan, which has an unusual all-you-can-eat format [a buffet but you order from a sheet and they bring it to you]. Mostly vegan, lots of fake-meat dishes. Everything I tried had good flavor and spicing -- the Imperial Yuan sushi, the edamame [though they did not give me a plate for the discards], General Tao eggplant, tempura and Singapore noodles. Dessert was green tea ice cream [not vegan]. Service was perfect, the place was clean, bright and clean -- I am amazed it only has 4 stars out of 5 on Happy Cow?!

Pros: excellent food, excellent value, friendly staff
Cons: guessing how much to order
MarkMtl
MarkMtl

Great Vegan food

5 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2011

I went to Yuan's tonight for supper with a friend. I have to say the vegan pineapple chicken was fabulous. The texture was perfect, not too much batter on the "chicken" I was impressed. I also had the dumplings in peanut butter sauce and that too was delish!
The main reason for going was the sushi and it did not disappoint! I favourites were Dragon, Califonia, and Imperial Yuan - just excellent.

The whole experience there was wonderful.

Pros: Pineapple Chicken, Sushi, Relaxing Atmosphere
Ethan
Ethan

Very good Vegan Sushi, but....

3 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2011

We had high hopes for YUAN after a long day of walking around Montreal. We were hungry and ready for some great vegan Asian cuisine.

The restaurant was easy to find and it's VERY spacious, new, and clean. The staff were very polite and quite lovely.

They do most of their rolls very well: The avocado roll, the Futo roll, and Dragon Roll were tasty and the California roll was wonderfully delightful. If you want vegan sushi, Yuan is a very good option for it in Montréal. Sadly, nothing else on the menu was good.

We had the Wonton soup- it was exceptionally bland but had too much of an MSG/saltiness to it. The vegetable tempura was overcooked-- the batter was too thick and caked onto the veggies and it was hard to chew. The same could be said of the over-cooked/ hardened base of the sushi pizza: It way too hard to chew and the toppings was really FISHY tasting and quite messy. It really was quite vile.

The pineapple "chicken" was tasteless but otherwise inoffensive. The Gen. Tsao's "Chicken" was so over-fried that the "chicken" imploded when bitten into. It was like eating fried cubes of air. The ginger tofu was the most upsetting; Too much basil, not enough ginger, the odd addition of Gogi berries and BLACK OLIVES?!? I happen to LOVE each of these ingredients but together it was such a bad combination of (flavorless) items, and they were all overcooked. Neither of us could finish it.

Lastly, the Agedashi Tofu was over-fried; Hard and oily on the outside, tasteless and airy on the inside and the Stir Fried Tofu with Peanut sauce was far too peanuty... and I LOVE peanuts!

In all, Yuan is a clean, nice, centrally located space to get a few vegan rolls but order them A la carte. The temptation to fill up on the "all you can eat" menu will leave you ordering more and more, hoping for something good to eat, only to be disappointed again and again.

Pros: Clean, Friendly staff, Easy to locate
Cons: Pricey, Food is not tasty
VegHelene
VegHelene

Love the new location

4 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2011

The new space on St-Denis is much nicer than the old one on Sherbroke. Food is good and fresh. Their All you Can Eat concept is good although when you go with a large group, it can get tricky and sometimes servers will forget to bring dishes to sections of the table.
Still, definitely one of my favorite places to eat in Montreal.

Pros: Good, Reasonably priced, Nice setting
Cons: service when in group
cookiemonster
cookiemonster

Changed for the better! An amazing place.

5 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2011

Yuan moved around the corner and upgraded their decor, what really surprised me though is that they upgraded their food too! Before the lunch buffet was cheap and pretty ok, the menu was expensive and lacked inspiration. Now, there is always a tout-a-volonté (all you can eat) option for $17 or $20 and it is a-m-a-z-i-n-g!

You order the dishes you want and they prepare them fresh for you. They come in little dishes for sharing so you can sample a good part of the menu each time you visit (don't worry though, you will come back). The food is really amazing, and almost all vegan. The stuff with eggs or milk in it is clearly labelled (6 dishes out of about 50 I'd say).

They have a variety of vegetarian maki sushi (12-14 kinds) plus a number of veggie nigiri sushi (6-8 kinds), 3 soups (the wonton is the best wonton soup I've ever had), 6 or 7 salads, a large number of appetizers, and finally about 20 tawainese-style dishes (chinese like). I have brought a number of people, meat-eaters, vegetarians, vegans, super picky people, people allergic to several things, and every single person has loved it. Convince your friends to go for the all-you-can-eat price, it is way more fun and the dishes are so good you will want to try a number of them.

Highlights: fried dumplings, ravioli's in peanut sauce, general tau chicken, wonton soup, Imperial Yuan Sushi, Sushi Pizza, tofu in ginger and basil, lemon chicken, seat and sour chicken, and others I am forgetting. The only thing to avoid is the coconut shrimp, it's ok but the fake shrimp are just weird and too bulky.

Also, you can order flowering tisanes, these are herbal teas that are actually little flowers that they put in these beautiful clear pots so you can watch them open. It's worth the extra $4.50.

There is no alcohol license so you cannot bring your own wine or purchase alcohol there. We have brought our own fake wine/sparkling juice (we did ask first) if you want to have a fancy birthday dinner or something.

Highly recommended for visitors and residents alike. If you know the old Yuan, I promise you, the food is much better. The staff are super friends, kind, and helpful as always.

Also, the have a bit fake-meat grocery in the front, lots of fun, whacky, fake meat products. Fun for thanks-giving or if you absolutely love one of their dishes and want to re-create it.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly Staff, Well priced
  • LoveFood LoveFood

Funny: your review is roughly my review in reverse. I hated the buffet and I've found the menu OK so far.

rummy67
rummy67

• non-vegetarian

Best service, low price, amazing food

5 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2010

Staff is genuinely friendly and always willing to please.
I have been going to this restaurant for the past 3 years. They recently moved to a much nicer location and the diversity and quality of the food is just incredible.
I would give it 10 cows if I could.

so4reelz
so4reelz

Love the All You Can Eat Menu

5 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2010

I hit up this place during a business trip and I'm glad that I did. I decided to try the All You Can Eat menu (Mon-Thur) for $18. I got to try 9 different dishes. The servings are just perfect for you to try and there's no limit to how much you can order. The server were very nice and even offered some recommendations. I didn't feel like they were trying to rush me either. I came out of there so stuffed! Where else can a vegetarian get a 9 course meal for $18 (plus tax & tip)?

Pros: good variety, decent price, yummy food
jellogirl
jellogirl

Great food, service, and ambiance!

5 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2010

The staff is super-friendly, the food superb, and the menu has been simplified to include what is essentially the best of the best! I would recommend this resto to vegetarians, vegans, and non-vegetarians alike (NB. Most of my buddies are non-veg, and totally love this place)! The new location is fabulous!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value
Cons: no alcohol
Shamai
Shamai

OMG, it gets better!!!

5 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2010

I've always loved Yuan, and now it's gotten even better. New location, new decor, new menu...yum, yum!!
Everything is SO tasty, and I love the new idea of open menu, all you can eat, brought right to your table. You've upped yourself!! I don't know how you were able to do it, and you've made yourself even better!! I'll be back VERY often :)

Pros: delicious, comfortable decor, excellent service
Cons: none
MissBooksandCoffee
MissBooksandCoffee

Yums

3 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2010

I really enjoyed the Hot Pot i got. I've never had anything like it before, it was interesting! They have a very creative menu where you want to try absolutely everything, it's very appealing to meat eaters alike as everything just tastes that good. Some of the things lack flavor though. some of their steamed veggies were almost flavorless, or undercooked, their rice was pretty blah as well, but make sure to put sauce on all those things. their sauces are pretty fantastic i might say.

You can also buy food in the other area that they make there. Be careful as there are MSG'S in their food, which really disappointed me.

Other then that, it was cool to sit in a fancy ish ambiance and eat veg, which isn't very common.

I'm only giving a 3 because of the MSG content. otherwise, it would have been a 4.

Pros: tasty, different
Cons: MSG, staff could be more informed
westerngirl
westerngirl

Cheap and Delicious

4 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2010

The atmosphere is a little shabby but you won't mind once you're eating the delicious food. I've never had veggie pork but it is fabulous. When my partner and I were there they had a really cheap lunch buffet that seemed too good to be true. The service was also great, so friendly and prompt! They spoke little english (probably more fluent in mandarin and french!) but their sincerity still came through. Missing that place now that I'm back in Ontario.

Pros: good value, friendly staff, excellent food
Cons: lacking in atmosphere
jedzen
jedzen

Not the best, not the worse

3 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2010

I went to Yuan a couple of times...
I am not a fan of their lunch buffet. A lot of the items are really salty or really sweet, or both. It is a mix of odd flavor combinations, and cold/warm food that should have been served hot.
The dinner menu is much better. However, you need to know what you're into. They do have quite a lot of FRIED items so if you don't like those check out for the words 'grilled' or 'steamed' and be sure to specify. Also, the menu is high on fake meat : i'm not a fan. They have some interesting dishes, like their sushis ( non-fried one, of course ) which are probably the best item to order. They are really good and well presented. They also have a lot of vegetables plates, with a lot of funny asian veggies that i never tasted before! Their soups are pretty good, too. They don't really have a vegan dessert. When i asked, i received a dry cookie, more salty than sweet. They have a selection of fine tea that i liked a lot. Good quality, great taste, and nice little cups.
There is a lot of place to sit and it is an ideal place if you go with a group.
Service is good ; they just have a problem with the number of people working for such a wide place. One night i was with about 10 persons and the orders all got mixed up and some of us had the wrong plates. Also, it was slow. They apologized saying there was one cook and 2 servers only that night. They offered us free tea ( yay! ) and we did not pay for the soup. They are always polite, and friendly, and they do the best they can. I think the problem comes from how the place is managed.
Anyway i would recommand this place for groups but maybe call for a reservation so they can have enough staff. Order some sushis, a steamed veggie plate and tea and you might have a nice dinner!

LaVanessa
LaVanessa

Hit and miss

3 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2010

I've been here several times and my experiences vary. Sometimes the food is great, other times not so much. Although the staff is very friendly, service can be slow. Overall, I find the food to be average, but that's okay considering the reasonable prices. The physical space is quite lovely and calm.

Pros: cheap, good selection, friendly staff
Cons: slow service, average quality food
Eve Love
Eve Love

What an experience!

5 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2009

This is a truly nice place to sit for an hour and experience the Asiatic Creative Vegetarian Cuisine
I been there around 15 times and NEVER been disapointed.

The "table d'h'te" is the best way to enjoy the whole thing. Both miso and sweet-and-sour soup are great, the ginger salad is so refreshing, sushi's are CRAZY, and my favorite meals s definitely the "végé-anguille" (veggie eel), but the eggplant in basil sauce, the steak are pretty good too. Everything is in the textures and different tastes! but sure, there is lots of sugar and sweet sauce.
Great selection of really good teas.

Make sure to visit the backstore boutique with a freezer full of really good fake meat, almond powder, shitake mushrooms and sea weed.

We went only once to buffet that seems to be only served for lunch.

when you make reservation, you can choose the special low table, where meals are served in cute bento style dishes, for a complete experience.

plumerider
plumerider

Not impressed

2 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2009

maybe i'm spoiled because i have all the best vegan chinese restaurants a girl could ask for in chinatown, philadelphia, pa (kingdom of vegetarians, harmony, singapore; what else do you need!?), but i was not impressed by this restaurant. my fiance and i stopped in for a late lunch; the buffet was not impressive, so we opted to order a la carte. the best part of our meal were the appetizers we ordered - the roasted duck legs were so good! and cute (burdock root serves as the "bone" of the duck leg). but our meals were terrible, and i NEVER say that about places that are at least trying to be healthful and vegan. we ordered the general tso's chicken and the sweet and sour chicken...both were so fried that eating two or three pieces of "chicken" was all we could handle before feeling a weird stomach. and the sauces were gooey and thick and not tasty at all. tasted like something out of a jar from the grocery store. it was just terrible. because we hate to waste food, we did get the food wrapped to go, but we couldn't even bring ourselves to eat it later on. yuck! sorry for the harsh review. i don't live in montreal, so i haven't been able to go back and try other entrees. i hope that we were just there on an "off day".

• Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi Plumerider, I liked your review of this place and found it helpful. I also hate when my food comes super-deep-fried!

Happy Customer
Happy Customer

AMAZING VEGAN SUSHI!!!

5 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2009

Every time we go to Yuan we splurge and get the sushi. It is by far the most satisfying, delicious veggie sushi I have ever had. Except for one type that comes with cream cheese, all the other makis are vegan. The prices may discourage you at first, but each item typically has 8 massive pieces per order so lots of value and you don't need to order much to fill you up. Which is a problem because trust me, you WANT to order one of each maki (stick to the right page, the ones called "M1", "M6" etc are the best!)

In response to the person complaining about their hours, I called ahead on Good Friday (since it was a holiday) and they told me they closed at 9:30 pm. My boyfriend and I showed up at 9:14 and they not only served us, but we ended up leaving at 11pm, an hour and a half AFTER they were supposed to close, without hearing one word from them the entire time.

A quick note to any first-timers: this is a family-run business and it is the type of place you should go to when you want to spend a nice long evening savouring delicious tea and wonderful food. If you are in a hurry, then go to Commensal down the street (it's a buffet). Personally I'd rather make an evening out of it and spend my money supporting a restaurant managed with a lot of love and care by a wonderful family.

Pros: Yummy Sushi! Good tea!, Wonderful staff, Nice Atmosphere
johnzy
johnzy

amazing lunch buffet!

5 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2009

I just love the lunch special 8$ fabulous vege buffet! soup, salad, many choices!
but dont let any tips cuz all the tip money go in the restaurant pocket, not to the waitress :(

• Happy Customer Happy Customer

Tipping is something you should do in every restaurant regardless of where the money goes. And because you never know where the money goes. In this case, the restaurant is family-owned and the staff are all family, so if the restaurant keeps the tips it is in fact going to the family, ie the waitresses and the kitchen staff. Hope you tip them next time, they certainly deserve it!

kennyp353
kennyp353

Unpleasant food, if you can even get served

2 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2008

A very wise man once told me that if he can't say anything nice about a place, he won't say anything at all. I thought about that when deciding whether or to write about Yuan when I first visited six weeks ago, even forgetting that my wise friend is actually a famous restaurant critic, but my rude experience there last Friday night means I'm gonna share my unpleasant experience anyway.

I went on a Thursday night about 9pm, there was one other table being served in the entire restaurant. The menu sounded good, the soup and sushi appetisers were perfectly OK, but the veggie Chinese restaurant staple, sweet and sour battered fake chicken, was a disaster. Imagine if you will someone opened a tin of some disgusting cheap Uncle Bens or Sharwoods Chinese sauce, added a tablespoon of dayglo tartrazine, microwaved it for 30 seconds and poured it over some fake chicken balls, with a side of wilted lettuce. I've had this dish dozens of times at dozens of veggie Chinese restaurants, and this was hands-down the worst of the lot.

Don't ask me why, but because the starters had been OK and because I'm a bit of a soft touch, last weekend I thought I'd give the place another chance, so on Friday I turned up at 9.42pm, thinking it closed at 10.30pm as per happycow's website (it's now actually shown on the door as closing at 10pm), but they told me that the kitchen was closed. It didn't matter to them that I'd spent $15 in a taxi to get there. Why bother with displaying closing times if you're just gonna ignore them? What time should you show up to get served here? 9.30pm? 9pm? 8pm?

I've got a better idea. Don't show up at all. There are tons of other far better vegetarian restaurants in this part of Montreal. Save your money and go elsewhere.

Pros: relatively cheap
Cons: you get what you pay for, if you can even pay for it, if they don't close early on you
philjdomm
philjdomm

return of the mock

3 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2008

first montreal visit: went twice.
second montreal visit: do not order bubble tea. they specialize in mock meat but not bubble.

teal_ocean
teal_ocean

I LOVE Yuan

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2008

We have been to Yaun 10+ times and have enjoyed it everytime. Lots of yummy vegan choices, friendly staff, clean, and a back area where you can buy TVP items. Their sweet and sour soup is delicious! 5+

Pros: Clean, Freindly staff, Good value
raphalla
raphalla

Delicious and Good Portion

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2008

We like this restaurant and have been there for a couple of times for dinner. The food is good and very friendly service. However, it seems like they do not have many staff, so the service can be a bit slow too.
There are many choice of food and the portion is big or fair enough with the price.
This is our favorite restaurant in Montreal.

Pros: Food, Price, Ambient
tablemoonspoons
tablemoonspoons

top notch!

5 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2008

if you make it to the lunch buffet here consider your self a very lucky person for that day. the buffet rules, it even has sushi. there is salad stuff. soup, and small dessert things and a decent selection for everyone. entirely vegan as far as i know. i have only been for the buffet and as long as the same stuff is on the menu and you choose well, you will be pleased.

catlap
catlap

Average food, good prices and selection

3 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2008

My travel companion and myself recently visited this restaurant and chose to try the weekend buffet. The spread was impressive, the atmosphere calming and it was conveniently located near the Sherbrooke Metro stop. For the most part, the food items were adequate; the vegetarian wonton soup in particular was a hit, with its tasty not-too-full, not-too-pasty wontons in a delicious broth. The lemon chicken was crunchy and drizzled with just the right amount of not-too-sweet, not-too-sour lemon sauce thickened with cornstarch. The green beans were particularly hearty with their black-bean sauce which imparted just the right amount of salt. Some of the other items did not impress or were misses: soggy deep-fried sweet-and-sour "pork" balls in a tasteless mess of Chinese cabbage, deep-fried odd-looking and -tasting "fish" balls with an overly heavy batter, and fried rice with a creative use of pumpkin squash that didn't add much to transform this rather bland dish. The dessert choices were disappointing and surprising; instead of traditional Chinese vegan desserts such as wor pang (deep-fried pastry filled with bean paste), banana cake (rice flour with banana swirled through it) or a Chinese vegetarian dessert such as custard tart, they served a choice of almond cookie and a mini creme brulee. Both looked store-bought and not particularly appetizing. $10.95 for the Saturday buffet, before tax and tip.

Pros: great location, relatively inexpensive, decent options
Cons: some bland dishes, soggy sweet & sour pork, store-bought desserts
beetsobriety
beetsobriety

so good

5 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2007

I went to yuan the first time when I had just moved to Montreal. The food was good, lots of selection, all veggie, but nothing special. I went there about a month ago and it has totally revamped its menu. I order the fake lemon-fish and it was delicious. All menu items come with an accompanyment and the table d'hote will fill you up and then some. Lots of delicious food, good atmostphere and free tea. This place is a keeper, way better than chuchai which totes similar menu items at a higher price and lower quality. Service is very friendly but can be slow if you go during off hours. Totally recommended!

Pros: yummy food, big portions, good value
colleenallen
colleenallen

crispy fish

5 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2007

We both loved the crispy fish with a mild lemon sauce and tempura broccoli. The lunch buffet is perfect for sampling and hungry people.

Pros: good value at lunch, nice alternatives to regular veg, quiet and peaceful
Cons: it was chilly in the restaurant
dkingdesigndotcom
dkingdesigndotcom

should be in the '2-carrot' category since it

3 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2007

could be a pricey experience when you do not choose your dishes carefully.
My wife and I went to this restaurant on our first evening in Montreal, Quebec. It has a nice decor and has some non-food items for sale at the display counter.
I ordered the wonton soup ($3.00) and pad thai(7.99) for my main. My wife ordered the sticky rice ($2.50) and the small vegetarian "meat" platter ($14.95)- which turned out to be really really ... really small.
My wonton soup was good although a bit more in the wonton catagory would have been nice (only 3 very very small wontons were in the soup).

The Pad Thai was a good portion.

I also had the free tea which was ok. They used tea-bags though.
My wife's platter of vegetarian "meats" included deep fried (yet cold) tofu leaves, 3 extremely thin slices of cold mock ham, cold algae, 2 types of maki,pink ginger sheets, quite a bit of lettuce (unfortunately a lot of noticable wilted dark edges and dark folds were present which should not have been included with the lettuce) and a blob of wasabi. It would have been nice to have a choice for the dip.

More variety in this dish would have been better (they don't include their pork, fish, etc. there). The lettuce upon which everything was laid took up too much of the volume.
The sticky rice was good according to my wife although I still have fond memories of the sticky rice I had in Thailand which was cooked in bamboo cylinders along the road sides. That tasty treat has perhaps ruined me for trying other sticky rice.
Summary: do not order the meat platter and you'll have good value for your money. (We looked at the other tables, some dishes were of big portions ). All in all around 33 CND (after taxes and before gratuity).

Pros: free iced plain water, which arrive 45 mins after we've been , seated, :(!
Cons: veggie meat plater, tea-bag, veggie meat plater
david-meng jen
david-meng jen

best vegetarian restaurant in montreal

5 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2007

me and my wife are regular customers.the food is amazing and the service is excellent,everyone is friendly.they have a new menu since the beginning of the year and there is more choices.the prices are really good,nothing too expensive like some other vegetarian restaurants.theres also a store in the back of the restaurant which is pretty amazing.you can find all you need.thank you yuan for being in montreal.

molly
molly

Very Nice

4 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2006

We were impressed by the variety of fake meats (the menu is quite extensive), and the staff was very friendly. We both got soup - hot and sour and won ton. Both were wonderful, very fresh-tasting and light. I had the lemon 'fake' fish (beautifully displayed with pieces of lemon wedged into the cuts of fish). My partner got the pepper chicken stir-fry, but sadly, it was cold...that was our only complaint!

Pros: large menu, nice staff, comfortable atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Yuan Vegetarien: