Serves meat, veg options available. Billed as healthy Japanese eatery, this casual place is attached to a full-service dining restaurant. Offers an extensive, separate vegetarian menu with several vegan choices. Order at the counter, and your server brings you the food. Very authentic Japanese decor. Also sells some Japanese gifts and things. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Japanese, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg
2660 N Campbell Ave
Tucson, Arizona 85719
520-320-1574
Closed now

Mon-Sun 11:30am-2:30pm, Mon-Thu 5:00pm-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-9:30pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm

First Review by maxinerz
TucsonVeganGal
TucsonVeganGal

Very vegan friendly

Posted on 03 / 22 / 2013

This place has two separate dining areas - one order at the counter and they bring it to you and the other completely sit down with wait staff. The sit down area you can order anything offered in the restaurant; the counter area you can only order the from the counter menu. The sit down area contains the make-to-order sushi and can be extremely unfriendly to vegans due to the dead fish lying there.

All vegan items ARE labeled on the menu!

Sometimes when we eat the vegan sushi we're hungry shortly afterwards so the food doesn't have good staying power. If we eat from the counter menu the food is more filling.

Pros: Filling cooked food, Well labeled items on menu
Cons: Fishy smells, Can be hungry shortly thereafter, Sit down area very cold temp-wise
Lore88
Lore88

Ok food, nice waiters, but under-staffed

Posted on 02 / 22 / 2013

I got the avo roll, cucumber roll, and a plum/herb roll. They were all just ok flavor-wise. I wish they had more options for vegans. Their tempura batter is not vegan, and there's fish sauce in the kimchi roll (major bummer!). The waiter was nice but completely overrun with tables, they need more waitstaff for busy nights. We had to wait a while to even place an order. The strangest thing was the miso soup--it was completely flavorless, I've never experienced that before. Wouldn't recommend.

Pros: Nice staff, Good atmosphere, Seemingly good fish rolls
Cons: Bland miso soup, Limited vegan options, Under-staffed
ChrisWallace
ChrisWallace

Excellent for vegans and non-vegan parties

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2013

This is a wonderful restuarant with great food. It has actually two restuarants under one roof. We had nine in our party, mostly non-vegans, and had dinner in the Sushi Matsu side with full service tables. The atmosphere was very pleasant with Japanese decor and soft lighting. Although the room was small and they only allow large parties of six the waiter went out of his way to accomodate us.The service was fast and pleasant and the food was fantastic. You can see their huge inexpensive menu online... separate menus for each side of restuarant... with many choices for vegans and non-vegans with pictures of each item. No msg and they use fresh organic produce. This is now one of our favorite restuarants.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, inexpensive
Cons: small parties only

vegetariangirl
vegetariangirl

wonderful vegan sushi!

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2012

The menu clearly marks vegetarian and vegan options. Lots to choose from. Very fresh and tasty.

amarello
amarello

Yummy

Posted on 02 / 08 / 2012

This was one of my favorite restaurants before going vegan and the only one I still frequent. This is a great option for vegans with omni friends or loved ones, because there is something for everyone. Vegan sushi? Yes. Vegan noodle bowls? Absolutely. Vegan desserts? You betcha.

Pros: delicious, good value, large selection
AlphaBravo
AlphaBravo

Ummm... I'll give it another try!

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2010

So I went there last night for dinner. I must say I sincerely appreciate the menu being marked clearly as to what I could eat as a vegan. This made is very easy to choose my meal. Also the staff seemed very knowledgeable when I asked questions. For instance when my miso soup arrived, I asked just to be sure if it was vegan. The girl very politely said yes, then described the ingredients that go into their miso soup. I felt reassured and appreciated her knowledge of what comes out of the kitchen. It isn't often that someone goes out of their way to take someone else's diet seriously!

My food though was not as great as I had expected. Honestly this maybe for two reasons. One, perhaps I'm still stuck in the meat eating, deep fried expecting mind set (I've only been vegan for about 2 months) or maybe it is because I am not too familiar with Japanese food? I'm not sure. I wouldn't discourage anyone from going there as it is well priced, offers several vegan options and from what I could tell, has a very friendly and smart staff. But I'll go back and try some more of the food before judging too harshly. So I say try it out!!! It's also great for taking non-vegan folks in your circle because there are so many options. I know this place has great sushi... I ate it about a year ago!

Pros: Well Priced, Staff knows their food!, Great Variety for all eaters!
Cons: Menu not very descriptive
WriterGirl
WriterGirl

Great place!

Posted on 11 / 19 / 2009

I used to live in Japan, so I am picky about my Japanese good. As a vegan, I find it to be one of the easiest places to order in Tucson. Sometimes I just go for the seaweed salad and the veggie gyoza off the happy hour menu. My favorite is the udon soup with lots of veggies. The ginger-tofu is super yummy, and the bento boxes have a lot of variety and flavors. The good is always fresh. i love this place.

Pros: vegan options, fresh food
Cons: no table service, only one copy of happy hour menu
Erin A.
Erin A.

Disappointing

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2009

I really want to like Yoshimatsu but my husband and I have been disappointed here on two occasions. Both times our meals were bland and not what we expected. Honestly, we make better food at home. I really appreciate that they have the separate vegetarian/vegan menus but this place just doesn't do it for me.

Pros: prices
Cons: bland, boring
maxinerz
maxinerz

Yummy!

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2008

Yoshimatsu is absolutely my favorite restaurant in Tucson! It's really the only place where I can go with my (all omni) friends and we'll all be completely satisfied with our meals. Everything I've ever eaten has been amazingly delicious. The vegan and vegetarian options are very clearly marked on the menu. There are a lot of them! My favorites are the ginger tofu bento,the veggie soba soup, and the tofu and mushroom curry. Pay the extra bit for the takikomi rice. It's yummy!

It gets really busy in the evenings, so you might have to wait a while for your food, but it's worth it. :) The staff is very friendly and happy to answer questions you might have.

Download a PDF of their menu from their website:

Pros: great food, awesome atmosphere
Cons: not all vegetarian, it gets busy

Dear Owner and Manager of Yoshimatsu: