Little eatery offering a range of Asian-influenced dishes in addition to raw food options. Has raw cheesecake. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Asian, Western, Raw
421 Brunswick Street (Alexandra Avenue)
Fitzroy, Victoria 3065
03-94173338

Open Tue-Sat 12-4pm, 5-10pm, Sun 12-4pm, 5-9pm, closed Mon.

First Review by vegan mikal

Favourite restaurant in Melbourne!

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2014

Yong Green Food is by far my favourite restaurant in Melbourne! The dishes are amazing, the staff very friendly and accommodating, and the interior looks great! Nearly the whole menu is vegan and the meals are brought out quickly and efficiently. The raw tiramisu is one of the best raw cakes you could get so if you're a fan of tiramisu, do not miss the chance to try it!! The food is inexpensive for what you get, and you really get the feeling that you're welcome there, even when it gets very busy. There is plenty of seating and they also offer takeaway! I'd definitely recommend giving Yong Green Food a visit!

Pros: Amazing food, Well priced, Good atmosphere
Cons: Gets a bit noisy

Really satisfying meal

5 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

We were really spoiled for choice here with many entrees, mains, snack and deserts to choose from. We could have had anything from a full three course meal through to a light snack or quick burger/nacho lunch.
We choose a seaweed salad to share for starters - it was fresh, light and tasty.
I had a Thai Green curry with brown rice and my partner had a Japanese curry. Both were served hot and fresh and very quickly. The waiter was happy to provide us with bowls and additional cutlery so we could share the meals. Both meals were delicious and very satisfying.
We would definitely eat there again!

Pros: Large menu choice, Food tasted fresh, Fast attentive service
Cons: Nothing significant

healthy, mostly vegan organic delish!!

5 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2014

This place is amazing. Service was prompt, courteous and friendly, food came out ridiculously quick and it was so tasty. The price is good considering the quality of the produce. I can't wait to go back!

Pros: healthy, fast, tasty
Cons: busy, might be hard to get a table

Fab- huge menu and really good

5 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2014

Have been here three times: Great buckwheat pancake rolls/suhi rolls/udon noodle soup made to order/mock chicken teriyaki/seaweed salad. Raw chocolate cake fab also. Highly recommended weekends evenings packed so you may need to wait. I am impatient but I waited!! Staff friendly also. By far the number one I have tried in Melbourne

One of the best vegie joints in Melbourne

5 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2013

Have been here only twice, both times within the last month or so. Can highly recommend it. Very relaxed vibe with friendly staff. Huge range of dishes from noodles to curries, burgers, wraps, salads, etc. Great selection of (non-alcoholic) drinks. Desserts too. I really enjoyed the Dragon Bowl with soy beef on my first visit. Second visit we had a variety of things to share, most notably the cold noodles which were delish. Cashew cream cheese cake with raspberry coulis also a highlight. Even the coffee is really good here. My only regret is not living closer to this place. Can't wait to eat at Yong's again.

Pros: Huge range, delicious food, relaxed vibe with friendly service
Cons: Not super-cheap

Amazing, innovative and healthy

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2013

I love Yong Green. They are friendly, the vibe is relaxed and the food is simply fantastic.

The first thing I noticed was a whole raw food menu. Wow, just wow all the dishes here just sound awesome. Then there is the rest of the menu that looks equally as tasty. Hard to chose, trust me, if you are like me, you will stuggle.

For the first time, I had pho. Now I know what the fuss is about. Fresh and flavoursome it was but left no room for dessert. Had to come back to have the raw vegan tirimisu, and have since tried the cheesecake and pecan cake. All hmmmm worthy. I highly recommend the daikon salad, will be going back for more. Also the oyster mushrooms deep fried are pretty damn good!

Pros: Amazing food, Raw food options
Cons: too much to choose from!!

substantial and healthy

4 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2013

Ive only been the once, but since then Ive been obsesses with making my own miso tahini sauce like I had with my steamed veg here. All healthy asian style with the choice of mock meat in some dishes which I know purists despise, but I love me some soy fish. Raw dishes also available so the range should please most people. The place is quite big and has good, quick service. More than happy to eat here again.

Pros: healthy, mmm soy fish, quick service

Some very good points, some not so good

4 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2013

I had dinner here tonight, as I have many times before and chose the tempeh burger (which I've also done often). The vegan burgers at Yong are different from any others I know. The absolutely delicious, soft bun is worth it alone and vegan mayonnaise provides a creaminess usually lacking(even if it is a bit sweet). I used to come here frequently when this place first opened and it has become very popular since it started in a pokey little space. Perhaps because there is a macrobiotic philosophy at work, sometimes I find the food a bit "puritanical" - for example a dish with steamed veges and brown rice and not a lot of anything to moisten it. While there is some variety and interest, I have found on some occasions that the price can add up for a few small dishes. There is a decent drinks list, including smoothies. I had a delicious blueberry one tonight: it's half drink, half dessert. The staff were polite and attentive and I didn't have to wait long, although it can be different when the place is busy.

Pros: Menu has variety and interest, Great drinks list, Good burgers
Cons: Some dishes a little lacklustre, Prices of smaller dishes can add up

Top flavours

4 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2013

Can strongly recommend the quinoa fritters and the deep fried nori rolls - delish!
'Tiramisu' was good but not great
Nice atmosphere and friendly staff
NO booze or BYO

not overly impressed

3 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2013

Chose to go for the pho. Wasn't really impressed by it but apparently other things on their menu are better. Will give it a second go

"... give health a chance"

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2012

This restaurant is remarkable!
Macrobiotic foods, Probiotic smoothies, Organic Juices.
Now that's giving health a chance.
This establishment offers a diverse array of Starters/Snacks such as Kimchi Gyoza (Pictured), Quinoa Fritters, Buckwheat Crepe and Chicken Skewers Vegan style. Predominantly Organic, GF,V. Brilliant!
Salads, Noodles, Wraps and Burgers, sumptuous Mains where East and West converge with creative dishes such as Lentil Hot Pot, Macrobiotic Dragon Bowl, a wide selection of Stirfries and Curries  and mouthwatering Deserts such as Raw Cheesecake (see photo),  Carrot Cake and Pecan Pie, Fudge, Ganache and Ice Cream.
This restaurant has a relaxed, casual and very friendly atmosphere however, it could do with a quick make over, to refresh and revive. It's looking a little tired.
Smiles all around, the service is excellent.

Pros: Friendly people, Unique menu, Good value

Yummm!

5 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2012

We live in Melbourne and ate here last month and loved it, friendly staff, good food, I'd definitly go back again and again, raw options too :)

great food!

5 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2011

Me and my husband have eaten here several times and have always had good food and the staff are very friendly. I love the raw cheesecake and the rawsagne. My husband often gets dishes with mock meat and they have been very tasty (the tuna wrap being his favourite).

Pros: great food, friendly staff

amazing vegan raw cheese cake

4 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2011

This cafe is small. It is more of a lunch time outing then dinner. The raw lasagna and cheese cake were beautiful.

Pros: excellent raw food, friendly staff

blueberry cheesecake!!!!!!

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2011

I love this place!!
The staff are always lovely, even when I'm rushing in the door five minutes after closing to grab some raw blueberry cheesecake.
The menu is delightful, the decor is relaxing and I'm always really happy to be heading over there - the girls are so genuine.

Pros: excellent food, healthy, friendly

Yummy Yong Green

4 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2010

Yong Green has lovely servers, is warm and inviting with a large menu full of delicious vegan options including mock meats. My favourite starter is the vegan bean nachos with cashew cheese. There are also raw nachos, which I am yet to try. The vegan coleslaw is really creamy and tasty which is a great side accompaniment to a few of the dishes including the chicken skewer starter meal. Another of the other yummy starters are the gyoza's with soy sauce... a must for lovers of Japanese cuisine. The chicken burger is scrumptious and quite large as is the chickpea curry which is served with rice, salad and a delightful beetroot dip.
The decor is bright and the atmosphere is quite relaxed and warm. Although Yong Green does not serve alcohol it sure makes up for it by making fresh juices and lassi smoothies. I have not eaten too much raw food in my time, but the raw carrot cake is a divine dessert to top off your evening!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Good Value
Cons: Non-Alcoholic

A new favourite!

4 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2010

My (vegan) partner and I are so excited to discover this restaurant! There are loads of vegan dishes to choose from, and anyone who is exploring raw foods will have a great time here. The cuisine tends to Japanese/Korean, but also includes some Mexican and other cuisines. The staff are very friendly and make an effort to get to know their customers. All servings are generous and the prices very reasonable. Our favourite dishes include the terayaki "chicken" (mock meat) and the raw green tea cheesecake.

Pros: Lovely staff, Delicious food, Good value

Divine!

5 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2010

Visited Yong Green on a very rainy Sat afternoon and was pleasantly surprised by the warm welcome, relaxing decor and great music. I had a tropical island which is a juice made from mango and young coconut milk - it was so creamy and delicious.

For main course, I had the raw burger which is served with salad and cashew cream - it was divine and really filling....however, I managed to find some space for the raw chocolate cheesecake! It is so rich with a lovely delicate flavour, mostly coconut more than chocolate.

I'll definitely be going back, there were loads of tempting things and the staff and so lovely. The prices are reasonable and my main course was under $10 - well worth it.

Pros: Amazing Food, Friendly Staff, Good value

Very nice place

5 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2010

Yong Green opened up in December 2009 and seems to be attracting a loyal following already. It is a smallish cafe-type place, but has a nice atmosphere and clearly the venue is aimed at making diners comfortable. It is located close to the corner of Brunswick St and Alexandra Pde.

The food is innovative pan-Asian veggie fare, with a noticeable Korean influence (reflecting the background of the owners). Many of the dishes are vegan. Prices are very reasonable, and meal portions are quite filling, though not large.

Yong Green is a standout in Melbourne because it offers a range of raw veg dishes. We tried both cooked and raw offerings, and all of the meals passed the taste test with flying colours. A special treat is the raw cheesecake, available in chocolate, blueberry, and green tea flavour.

However, the most pleasing aspect of this place is the genuine warmth and friendliness of the owners-staff. They made sure we were having a good time, and were attentive and interested in our experience there. In fact, they went beyond treating us well; the service was truly superb!

My friends and I will be visiting this place as happy regulars from now on.

Pros: Excellent service, Great raw and cooked selections, Reasonable prices
Cons: none

Dear Owner and Manager of Yong Green: