Yew Restaurant

Serves meat, veg options available. Upscale restaurant has a separate vegan menu for both lunch and dinner, including things like truffle mac and cheese made with daiya cheese, saffron risotto, tacos, coconut pana cotta and more. Located in the Four Seasons Hotel. Please ask if vegan menu is available for brunch. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Western, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
791 W Georgia St (Howe St)
Vancouver, British Columbia V6C 2T4
604-692-4939

Open Mon-Fri 11:30am-2:30pm, 5-10pm, Sat-Sun Brunch 11:30am-2:30pm, 5-10pm.

First Review by kimward8
NeilGaudet
NeilGaudet

nice to sit down to a nice meal

4 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2013

It can be hard to find a nice sit down restaurant for vegan options beyond a salad. Yew has a dedicated vegan menu and is a nice place to eat. It's great to bust away from the caf├ęs and markets and dine out. Great food.

Pros: vegan menu, nice atmosphere, sit down dining
Cons: not cheap
stefaniemarie
stefaniemarie

Delicious vegan food (in its own right!)

4 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2013

Dinner at Yew exceeded my expectations. I was so impressed, I ate there twice throughout my brief Vancouver trip.

First off, it was really refreshing to see a separate vegan menu with a few different choices for appetizers and mains. Even better...the dishes were creative and full of veggie goodness. No boring pasta dishes or salads in sight!

Highlights for me were the asparagus with celery root puree (appetizer) and the spicy quinoa and kale (main). Both were perfectly cooked and seasoned. Best of all, it didn't feel like the dishes were just a bunch of vegetable side dishes thrown together, or a dish from the "regular" menu with the meat/fish removed.

I should also mention that I have a bunch of food allergies and they were able to accommodate me without any hesitation. I felt very comfortable eating there and the servers were all very knowledgeable and friendly.

Pros: Seperate vegan menu, Accomodates food allergies, Inventive dishes
Cons: More vegan desserts, please!
vegan frog
vegan frog

Good option

3 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2013

Went to Yew to try another option downtown Vancouver.The food was pretty good but not amazing.
We had the tacos and asparagus salad for starter. The asparagus salad with mushroom and celeriac puree was the best dish of the night. The tacos were nothing special, although they were fresh and tasty enough.
Then we had the saffron risotto and the artichoke dish. Both were good and different.
We had the brownie for dessert. I would have preferred it warm.
On the whole the food was good, the presentation was beautiful but we weren't blown away especially for the price.
The risotto is $20!!
The room was beautiful but the crowd was trying a bit too hard to be hip and we felt uncomfortable as vegans in there.
We were lucky to have a great server who had vegan knowledge as well.

Also, the smell of fish and cooked meat was a slight turnoff.
It was great to try a new place but we prefer to stick to veg restaurants when we go out.
The final bill was pricey! Will we go back? Maybe, but probably not in a hurry.

Pros: good service and knowledge
Cons: expensive
drschoen
drschoen

A great addition for Vancouver vegans

4 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2012

I took an omnivorous friend to YEW for lunch. I started with the tacos which were very rich and tasty and beautifully presented. I then had the roasted vegetable sandwich with salad (also tasty, but not as 'high end' as I would have expected at YEW) and finished with a coconut pana cotta with pineapple and quinoa which tasted very nice. I'm already booked to return for lunch and will try other items. I'd definitely like to try dinner and would recommend it to both vegans and omnivores.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, beautiful room
Cons: can be noisy, a little pricey
kimward8
kimward8

Fancy vegan food!

3 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2012

I went here for lunch. We had truffle mac&cheese, vegetable curry (which is actually not just vegetable curry, it has chick peas in it), and tacos. They were all really good.

I don't really like truffles, so I don't think I would order the mac&cheese again, but I understand that it makes it more fancy, and that lots of people do like truffle flavour.

The curry was really good, and the tacos were also very tasty. I would definitely take omnivorous family and friends here on special occasions. I also look forward to trying the saffron risotto on the dinner menu. The only bad part was the waiter insisted on telling us about the steak sandwich special even though we had already asked for vegan menus!

Dear Owner and Manager of Yew Restaurant: