Yeok Teck - maybe closed

Clean and cozy dining area. Has English menu with pictures. Elaborate dishes with choices of mockmeats and vegetables. Reported to use milk in some items so vegans confirm. NOTE: maybe closed/shut down, please verify and let HappyCow know. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese
Bhanimandal, Ekantakuna, Lalitpur Ward 4 (/across the street from the basketball court)
Kathmandu, Nepal
977-554-8930

Open from 11am-3.30pm and 5.30-8pm, Tue 11am-7pm.

First Review by Animal Nepal
Canamon
Canamon

A nice change from Nepali/Indian food

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

In June 2013 we went to Yeok Teck, 6 people and we decided to order 13 items on the menu and share. Favorites were the seaweed soup, the Hokkien noodles, lemon chic, plum sauce mushrooms, soyabean brinjal (eggplant), M'sian fried rice and coconut rice. Spicy deep fried cauliflower were good as well as the mix veg fried rice and the luo han chye (a malaysian vegetable). The big chinese momos did feel more like vietnamese ban bao than momos and the fried tofu was not really fried, it was soft tofu in a sauce.

The place is vegan friendly, there are just a few dishes that contain milk products, the staff can speak english and knows about veganism.
This place felt like heaven to me, a nice change from the nepalese and indian flavours. I will be back there every time I go to Kathmandu.

Pros: The food is so good!, Excellent choice, nice english menu, Very clean, inviting and friendly
ZuZu
ZuZu

Vegan food in Kathmandu!!!

4 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2012

The food wouldn't really be something to write home to Mom about except for the fact that its clean and vegan! I really enjoyed knowing that my food was untainted. I thought that the ginger fis was pretty good but my husband didn't care for it. They make really nice rice. We had szchewan tofu as well, which was fine. The spicy fried vegetables was actually just the standard nepali style greens and not that good. I think that trying the Malaysian fare might be the smart route to try, and I would love to go back and dial their menu in because I definitely want to support this restaurant. For me it was worth the trip. Its on the street just past the basketball court if your headed south. Thanks Yeok Teck!!!

szeevster
szeevster

Excellent vegetarian fare in Lalitpur, Nepal

5 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2012

Our 3rd trip to Yeok Teck was just as good as the previous two (on previous visits to Nepal). The place is not easy to find and the taxi drivers have no clue, even with the address. It's across the street from a large basketball court complex. This time we were 5 people and ordered several soups (each one if enough for 2 people) and a tempura-style eggplant slices and cauliflower with a mild chili sauce to start. I think the Sezh yuan (sorry for spelling) was the tastiest,; the corn soup the least. Then we had a few main courses - we really liked the mushroom w/plum sauce, and also the mock fish ("fis" on the menu) and the lemon chicken. The sesame Chic (Sic) was a bit bland. The mixed veg rice was particularly good, though the plain rice was also excellent. The Chinese momos (very large) were also very good.

The food is not gluten-free-friendly
Very nice and friendly service. Our meal came to 1600 Rps, which is a bit expensive by local standars, but in our estimation, worthwhile. Very nice decor and atmosphere adds to the experience. We will certainly come back for a 4th visit.

Pros: excellent food, extensive menu, friendly, excellent service
Cons: bit pricy (by local standards)
Animal Nepal
Animal Nepal

Great food, not so great setting

3 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2012

Yeok Teck is an amazing restaurant where one can eat vegetarian 'fish' and other dishes which taste much better than the real thing. The tofu dishes are a delight! We at Animal Nepal love ordering our lunches here. However, the setting could be improved. The place is dark and uninspiring. Having said that, the staff deserve 5 stars for their friendliness.

Pros: Great food!, Nice staff!
Cons: Uninspiring interior

Dear Owner and Manager of Yeok Teck - maybe closed: