Yellow Sunshine

Vegan fast food and vegetarian options. Traditional German and international food. Menu available in English and German. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Fast food, Take-out
Wienerstrasse 19, Kreuzberg
Berlin, Germany 10999
030-69598720

Open Mon-Thur 12-24, Fri-Sun 12-1.

First Review by bullcityveg
Marie Berlin
Marie Berlin

Best burger in town

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2014

Big menu with a lot of choices for everyone. Definitly best burgers in town. I love the fries and the seldmade mayonnaise and peanutbutter sauce. It's not the nicest place to sit inside, but in summertime outside is great. Prices are great and you are realy filled up afterwards.

Pros: Great burgers, Great prices, Yummy fries & seldmade sauces
Cons: Not so nice to sit inside
_mayz_
_mayz_

tasty burger

4 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2014

Total junk food but super tasty!!! Very good chips which come with multiple choices of toppings like vegan mayo or ketchup. I got the spicy double chicken burger and it was fantabulous.

Pros: tasty , fun, outdoor seating available
vegetariangirl
vegetariangirl

a favourite!

5 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2014

Tasty fast food close by. Great vegan faux chicken burger. Heaps of tasty fries. Vegan desserts - chocolate mousse was great!

CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

vegan fast food

4 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

Fast food veganized. I had Mäc Wheaty Burger, €4.20, a big hunk of seitan (I think) in a sesame bun with sliced dill pickle, tomato, onion, shredded lettuce, mustard, ketchup. They also have vegan cheese burgers, fries, salad and desserts, including a vegan tiramisu for €3.50. Several vegan burgers, “fish” burger, etc.

Pros: fast food that's vegan
Cons: mostly fried food
jon active
jon active

Friendly fast food

4 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2013

Yellow Sunshine was the first veggie vegan place I found in Berlin years ago and I'll always remember being so grateful back then to find a place that did vegan grub! Now its surrounded by all vegan alternatives it seems less important but it's still good for burgers and chips and such stuff. Its not all vegan and sometimes they inexplicably can't do smoothies or don't have cake available but its relaxed and friendly and in good weather there are benches outside to watch the Kreuzberg life go by from whilst one munches away!

Pros: legendary !, cheap and quick, Easy to find
Cons: limited desert options, Not all vegan

Neridah
Neridah

Excellent fast food

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2013

Really excellent vegan fast food. The vegan menu is clearly marked and available in German and English. Lots of organic food and drinks. Has an alternative vibe, with a variety of music playing, and no usual fast food uniforms or appearance restrictions.

Pros: Clearly marked vegan menu, open late, organic options
paperbagblog
paperbagblog

I love this place!

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2013

The food is delicious, the staff are friendly and the atmosphere is really relaxed. Great place to visit as soon as you land in Berlin!

cr87
cr87

Tasty food, friendly & efficient staff, good beer!

5 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

Very tasty veggie burger and lovely salad to go with it. Definitely pay this place a visit if you're a hungry veggie in Berlin. I walked a few kilometres to get there, and I can say it was definitely worthwhile. Really nice organic beer too - highly recommended. Will be going back next time I'm here.

It's a busy place (a school party was there when I arrived), but despite this I was served within 20 minutes (as promised before I sat down).

Pros: Good food, No Smoking, Great Beer
pesek
pesek

Nothing impressed

2 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2013

Just dry fast food with not so talkative staff. The burgers we ordered was hard to eat and dry, not impressed at all....

Cons: dry food, the staff
MichaelRobinson
MichaelRobinson

So simple

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2013

I visited Yellow Sunshine the last time I was in Berlin, so while I was back in Berlin with my brother last week, I went twice. It's such a simple but effective idea, junk food for Veggies! I get fed up with over complicated, overpriced vegetarian restaurants that think we all want to eat raw food. This place just gives you substantial food, fast & not expensive. Well done on creating a place based on such a simple idea. When in Berlin I will always go back. They have a sister restaurant based on Italian food but I didn't visit.

Pros: Tasty, Fast, Inexpensive
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Decent food, quick

3 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

This place is nothing special, but the food is decent and quick. If you're on the go, they'll have you out the door pretty quickly.

The menu is clearly labeled, with all items on the left being vegetarian and all items on the right being vegan.

This is your typical bugers, fries, mock-chicken sandwiches type place. It's not the best I've ever had, but it was cheap, filling and enjoyable.

Pros: All-vegetarian, Clearly labeled
Cons: Nothing special
azur
azur

There are much better fast food places in Berlin

2 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2013

I've regularly been to Yellow Sunshine about 2-3 times a year over the last years, which has much to do with the convenient location. The food quality is hit and miss. They frequently undercook/underfry their faux meats. My last two dinner and lunch experiences there were really bad. Last time, even though (being warned by previous visits) we specifically asked for our gyros and "chicken" burger to be well done, both were not well done, but rather soft and clearly underfried. The "chicken" patty also had a strange taste/smell, almost like artifical almond flavoring. I guess we should have returned the food or have asked for it to be redone, but then you don't want to complain all the time, and we were hungry. Big mistake. The food was not only unpleasant to eat, but also gave us upset stomachs for the rest of the day and on the next day. I honestly have a very robust stomach.

The side salads are rather bland, do not expect anything more than some lettuce/romana salad, some carrots which were grated a few hours ago, onion rings and some sprouts on top. Then again, this is a fast food placed after all, so one shouldn't be unfair and expect a gourmet salad.

If you want vegetarian/vegan fast food in Berlin, I would definitely recommend going to Vego Food World, which is much better quality. If you're looking for an alternative in the Wiener Straße vicinity, try "Rootz" - who have nice burgers, but often close around 7:30 pm though.

Updated from previous review on Thursday July 11, 2013

Pros: Good location, Nice outdoor seating
Cons: Food often underfried, A little too expensive (re quality), Place can get busy
Thing_in_the_attic
Thing_in_the_attic

Overpriced and full of poseurs

2 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2013

I was left standing 45 minutes for my "fast" food while the two dizzy girls behind the counter moved in slow motion and talked constantly. They couldn't have been any less interested in work. The fries were absolutely PICKLED in salt, and the burger was mediocre. There are better veggie options within 200 yards of this poseur-trap.
Avoid.

Pros: Um, they claim to sell food.
Cons: They do it. Very very verrrrrrrrrrry slowly.
sigurdas
sigurdas

yammy food in the heart of Kreuzberg

5 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2013

I would probably come to this place very often if I lived in Berlin. Unfortunately, I was there only once, but my vegan fast-food needs were satisfied fully!

Pros: tasty food, location
Cons: not baby carriage friendly
NIlsI
NIlsI

Great Burger

3 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2013

I really like the fast food style of Yellow Sunshine. Fastfood+vegan+organic love it! ok..its vegetarian with vegan options. but also great. I wished to have one in Hamburg or now in Istanbul.

They also have great fries! I like it.

Pros: Fast food, organic
necropalice
necropalice

VEGAN CURRYWURST KLAXON

4 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2013

Yeah, there's a side salad on the menu, but everyone comes here for the fast food. Salty fries, vegan bratwurst slathered in curry-spiked ketchup, veggie burgers and an awesome selection of organic fizzy drinks. Not the healthiest of lunches, and Berlin is really not lacking veggie burgers at all, but the currywurst was awesome.

Pros: vegan currywurst!, cheap, friendly staff
Cons: fatty but in a good way
hanswurst
hanswurst

Vegan Fastfood

4 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2013

This place is awesome!

We have been here many times, and when in Berlin, will definitely visit it again. Many choice,vegetarian and vegan. They also have vegan desserts and a good choice in drinks. Service is not always fast (because it's always crowded) but this place is still one of my favourites.

You should really give it a try.

Pros: Lots of vegan choice, Friendly staff/good english, Greatlocation
Cons: Service is not always fast, Only fastfood, No soups anymore
mamaashia
mamaashia

good vegetarian fast food not only for vegetarians

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2013

the place exist for years and is very popular. the food is very tasty here. i have been here many times in a company of few people, not all of them are vegetarians but still they really enjoyed the veg. burgers. only minus sometimes the food is heavy and a bit to fat for my taste. very recommanded.

Eric_
Eric_

It's not really hard to get vegetarian fast food

3 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2013

It's not really hard to get (at least) vegetarian fast food in Berlin, so a place like this doesn't feel as special and great as it would in most other cities. But sure, it's a decent place.

J-Veg
J-Veg

Good, honest veg*n fast food

4 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2012

Located in the trendy district of Kreuzberg, this is a great place to go for fast food. You can eat inside, take your food to one of the tables outside or even have it to take away and go sit in the nearby Görlitzer park (across the road) if the weather's nice.

They have fast food including veg*n versions of regional classics (e.g. Currywurst), burgers, and chips/fries. The food board is clearly split into vegetarian and vegan options and they do a meal deal including burger and chips or burger, chips, and salad. They usually also have one or two cakes if you fancy something sweet and the fridges are full of soft drinks and various beers.

The orders work on a ticket system where you order and pay and then wait to be called once your food is ready, so don't expect the same kind of service as in a restaurant.

The prices are higher than many other fast food places in the city but I personally think it's worth the extra, especially as everything is organic.

Pros: Organic, Vegan options clearly marked, Good location
Cons: A little pricey (but worth it)
Cantona1983
Cantona1983

quite good burgers

4 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2012

used to come here a few times but then moved away and have since found better alternatives whenever i come to berlin.
however, the food was reliably delicious.

Underdog
Underdog

• herbivore

Best Burgers Ever!

5 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2012

I'm not a foodie... Food is functional for me, however, I have to say that this is some of the best vegan food I've ever eaten.

The customer service was alright, some of the staff were friendly and one even helped me find a place on the map... Though all I can think of when recalling this place is just how utterly amazing the food was.

Crap... Now I want a lapland burger *sad face*

Anyway, if you're in Berlin, I'd say this is a great place to go.

P.S. The cakes are good too.

Pros: Amazing food, Nice staff, Amazing food
Cons: There isn't one in London
Anna Vladi
Anna Vladi

best burgers!

4 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2012

those burgers from Yellowsunshine - they just melt in your mouth! They have a huge choise of vegan petties, sources.
the stuff is not always friendly, but u forget about it when u bite your burgers!
it is may be not the healthiest food but totally to try!

Pros: taste, drinks
anna molly
anna molly

NOT vegan-friendly at all

2 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2012

the worst customer service I have seen in any country - though I would never thought it would be at a vegetarian restaurant.
I came with my sister who was there for the first time. We both are vegans. Since I've been at this place before I ordered double chicken cheeseburger right away and showed my sister the right part of the menu where the vegan burgers were listed. She gave it a thought and then ordered 'chicken cheeseburger' pointing at the vegan burgers list (Since she ordered in English, she also pointed at the item she wanted on the menu). Of course she didn't know that 'double chicken cheesburger' is vegan and just 'chicken cheeseburger' is not vegan - the customers don't have to learn their menu by heart. She also asked if their cupcakes were vegan.
Anyway, we got 2 different burgers and saw that one of them is vegetarian, that's when I asked her what exactly she ordered - and we realise there must have been a misunderstanding.
She didn't touch the burger and took it back to the counter saying that she's sorry, but she meant the vegan chicken burger. They took the burger back and said "But you didn't say double - it's not our fault". She asked them to make her a vegan burger instead since she paid anyway but they refused repeating "you should have said "double"! She didn't want to argue and came back outside to me telling me what just happened and I decided to stick up for her - but there was no witnesses inside the cafe (everyone was eating outside) and there were 2 girls at the counter who kept telling me it's her fault and that they won't return the money or make her another burger. When I said why do we have to pay for a burger we didn't eat - one of them said a legendary phrase "I saw you wanted to pay with your credit card, so I know you have money for another burger!"

Pros: tasty
Cons: not vegan-friendly, staff is rude
  • wildfang wildfang

Absolutely incredible, I'm glad I've stopped going there a long time ago. Unfortunately, too many tourists still do.

Clafoutis
Clafoutis

Vegan black forest gateaux...

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2012

I ate here twice on my visit to Berlin, and loved both meals. I had the 'Lapland' cheese burger with salad and a delicious creamy salad dressing one time, and the fish fillet burger the second, followed by black forest gateaux! Lovely. Vegan grafitti and stickers in the bathroom. Great atmosphere, from families with small kids to older couples, always seems busy but always great service.

Pros: Vegan burgers, Vegan cake, Atmosphere
NotBuyingIt!
NotBuyingIt!

Yumm, Yumm, Yumm

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2012

My Husband and I very much enjoyed the vegan fast food feast we had at Yellow Sunshine and will go back next time we are in the neighborhood!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday November 17, 2010

Pros: Yummy, Variety, Greasy Fast Food!
Cons: Not 100% Vegan
BadassJB
BadassJB

My guess is there's better

3 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2012

Very scrum-didlium-ptious fast food joint. Satisfies all the bad cravings I have for vegan junk food. I had a breaded soya steak burger. It was pretty tasty, but I wish the patty were a little firmer and less spongy. I also had a slice of black forest cake that wasn't as satisfying as I thought it would be. It looked really good, but tasted too much like palm oil and sugar...hmm. Try some of the organic sodas. They have lychee and rhubarb flavours.

Pros: cheap, fast, fried
Cons: fried, semi-tasteless
Tara HD
Tara HD

Good fast food option

4 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2012

Fast food will never be my favorite food but it's good to have a vegan fast food option from time to time and I love the fact that I can eat vegan Currywurst there. I also like the burgers.

Pros: vegan Currywurst, vegan burgers
Cons: fast food
Raydoggy
Raydoggy

McWheaty is my favourite

4 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2011

Love the MacWheaty...

Good selection of fast food.

Pros: Reasonably priced, Clean, Fast
dansette
dansette

Ate here every day

5 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2011

I wish we had one of these in London! Very fast and helpful and they can add extra soy cheese on request to the burgers which don't have it. Currywurst was amazing!

XspeedyX
XspeedyX

Go here!

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2011

We had the fakin fish and it was amaaaazing!
Try the mac wheaty cheese and the bacon cheeseburger and the Lappland burger!!!!!!!

CKay
CKay

4 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2011

I liked this place in a lot of ways. The staff was friendly, the clientele was extremely diverse, plenty of seating, large menu. The menu is in German and English, and vegan items are pretty clearly marked. I got the vegan currywurst and it gigantic and surrounded by tons of french fries, which all turned out to be tasty. I'm not super into fried fast food, but I'd eat here again.

Pros: affordable, friendly staff, large portions
Cons: greasy
Repeater
Repeater

Great Veg eats

5 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2011

Ate here many times during my stay in Berlin, and it never disappointed. Some of the best Vegan burgers I've had anywhere. Always big a juicy, good buns and nice salad and sauces. Staff are friendly and helpful, and I never waited long for an order. Salad and fries made great sides to fill out the meal. Nothing too fancy, but for this sort of food doesn't need to be. Burgers definitely taste clean and healthy. Really good prices too, would certainly go back next time I'm in Berlin to taste some more of that sunshine!

Pros: Great Food, Good Service, Good Location
macintosser
macintosser

Nice idea, but...

2 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2011

... not dissimilar to my criticism of Yo-Yo's in Berlin:

Tables are DIRRRRRRRRRTY... you'd be very worried touching it, for having to take your clothes to the dry-cleaners afterwards or having to put them in the washing machine upon returning home.

The menu is interesting, though little emphasis on 'health'. The staff varies too frequent. One get's the impression working there is often a means to an end for a very transient bunch of part-time Berliners.

However, when I started to visit this eatery, I was genuinely blown away by the excellent french fries... although the quality has gone down two years on.

Another difference to last year is, the fact that they now do some sort of unidentifiable salad. Last year, when I asked for a nice big juicy slad, I got a little bowl of just plain chopped iceberg lettuce. It was the saddest salad I had ever seen. No fantasy and totally lovelessly prepared.

A wipe with a clean soapy cloth every time someone has eaten is NOT a great luxury, but somethign every customer has a right to... though in Berlin, clean tables are a rarity.

Two cows are just right for this place.

Pros: Location, Meatless
Cons: Dirty, inconsistent quality, no salads
Jujuh
Jujuh

Usually food takes too long

3 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2011

The burgers are very tasty, but you need to be patient because they usually take too long (I would not go there if I was in a hurry). The vegetarian nuggets are extremely oily and taste like pure fat. The french fries are just bad, pure oil. I recommend the burgers though, very tasty.

DaveBrett
DaveBrett

Great place!

5 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2010

The selection of veggie burgers is incredible. I wish there was a place like this in Austin, TX where I live.

dagny70
dagny70

Naughty food!

5 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2010

A previous reviewer made reference to the fact that sometimes you just want a big, greasy burger. With this in mind, we headed to Yellow Sunshine as soon as we arrived for our holiday in Berlin, hoping for some decent food to settle our travel tummies. We were not disappointed. Very much a fast-food restaurant, with prices to match, you place your oder and then wait for your number to be called. I had the veggie schnitzel meal with (tons of) fries and my partner had a 'bacon' cheeseburger, also with a massive portion of fries. Soooooo good! Great comfort food and a nice welcome to Berlin. We went back a few days later for the currywurst & fries, so tasy and naughty. Very relaxed vibe, cheap, and total non-diet food. Just what you want on holiday!

Pros: Tasty food, Great value, Nice vibe
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

One of the better fast food places.

4 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2010

Berlin has a lot of vegan friendly fast food (mostly burger) places and out of all the ones I tried I liked this one the most. As suggested by the server I ordered the Lappland Cheeseburger. It was REALLY good but would have been better without the cheese. Overall the food was really good, cheap, received quickly, good location, and the location itself was nicer than the other vegan fast food places. I would certainly go to Yellow Sunshine again.

aisawesome
aisawesome

really yummy burgers!

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2010

I was a bit nervous to try Yellow Sunshine since I had read it's mostly a burger place. I wasn't a burger fan before I went veg and I'm not into veggie burgers at all. However, I decided to give this place a chance. I got the chicken cheese burger and it was sooo good!!! Not like the kind of burgers I'm used to at all, it was just really good and tasty! Also, got a side of french fries which were nice & crispy, and got a chai latte which was very yummy!! Came back a few days later to try the black forest cake and that was really good too. Really liked this place!

Edz
Edz

Veggie Fast Food

5 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2010

As a veggie you sometimes miss pigging out and having a huge greasy burger and chips. Yellow Sunshine fills that gap brilliantly (the gap in your tummy).

Located in the hipster saturated neighbourhood of Kreuzberg. Cheap. Good service. Benches with umbrellas outside.

Pros: vegan burgers, yummy, located conveniently
Cons: trendy wendys all about
AmandaUCSC
AmandaUCSC

"fast" food?

4 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2010

5 stars for Yellow Sunshine because the food is yummy, it's cheap as hell, and the staff is friendly. My one and only complaint (-1 star) is that I wish it didn't take forever to get my food. The first time I went was on a Tuesday at 9:15PM. The second time was Sunday around 10PM. The concept of "fast food" here seems a bit of a misnomer. Both times I waited over 20 minutes for my food (first time I ordered the gyro plate, second time just a plain burger thinking it would be faster!); they seem to short staff even when busy... They should consider changing their tagline of "bio fast food" to "bio food" or "bio veg burgers."

Pros: extensive vegan options, cheap, open late
Cons: sloooow, not enough seating
catzie
catzie

Happy food!

4 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2010

I visit this place every time Im in Berlin. I choose a menu that includes a burger and salad. The hawaiian burger is good, the salad with salad dressing is amazing and on top with that a vegan mango lassi! The service was helpful in explaining the terms to non-German speakers. My non-vegetarian friend also liked the food very much. One con though, is that they did use plastic packaging, even though there was an alternative choice for that.

Pros: service , food!, organic
unwilted
unwilted

Nice Vegetarian Fast Food

4 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2010

Extensive burger menu and a few other items (nuggets, wurst, etc.). Nice to eat a place that is all vegetarian. Normally, I don't even like to get fries/chips anywhere because I'm afraid they fry them in the same oil as the meat. Not a problem here. In any case, the burger I had was above average. The nuggets were just okay. The wurst was good, but the sauce was essentially ketchup with some curry powder. Prices are downright cheap, especially given the overall food quality. We'll certainly return if back in Berlin.

Pros: Fast food, exclusive vegetarian, tastes good
Courtnichka
Courtnichka

vegan fast food

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2010

they are pretty honest about it being vegan/veggie fast food. I tried the 'chiken' vegan burger and it was pretty good. the price was reasonable and the service friendly and quick. I would eat here again.

Pros: tasty, friendly service , clean
Cons: not healthy-but ok every once in a while
nspanee
nspanee

third out of 3

3 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2010

as berlin now has pretty much 3 identical "fast food" restaurants, this was the last one we tried. the yoyo and the vego are vegan so they were first. the nuggets were ages away from the ones at vego. they were heavily fried so they were too crispy and the sweet chili sauce with it was horribly. the lappland burger (a marinated soy schnitzel) was ok but the schnitzel could have had bit more spices/taste.the fries didnt taste like fresh out of the fat. the staff was friendly but most of the empty tables were not clean.

Cons: dirty tables, something wrong with the fries
veggiegoth
veggiegoth

good vegan fast food

4 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2010

not the healthiest vegan food that's for sure but it was sure tasty! i came here a couple times while in berlin. i had one of their burgers the first time and a chicken sandwich the second time both with fries. i also got a side order of something but forgot what it was but i did like it. they have a decent size menu for a fast food joint.

malkuth27
malkuth27

A happy vegan in Kreuzberg

5 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2010

Berlin - 19 December 2009. Early evening and around 15 degrees below zero. Imagine my joy as I step from the snowy street into a comfortable cafe where I have not only a choice of food but lots of choices! Including desserts!!

A few minutes' walk from Schlesisches Tor U-Bahn station, Yellow Sunshine is a counter-service cafe serving traditional German and other 'fast' food with a twist - the twist being that it's all vegetarian and far from unhealthy. Vegan items abound and are clearly marked - there's a seitan version of the classic Berliner currywurst and even tiramisu! There's a choice of burgers for both vegans and vegetarians, as well as fresh salads and drinks. The pommes/chips/fries are cooked in-house from real potatoes and there are plenty of organic ingredients.

The staff are friendly and the atmosphere is pleasant, warm, clean and relaxed with tables arranged for a decent number of diners from couples to larger groups.

You make your choice and pay at the counter, and when your food's ready they'll call your number - easy :>

Pros: Large vegan choice, Substantial portions, Good value
Cons: Steps up to door
SandroMag
SandroMag

A veggie / vegan Burger King...

3 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2009

Ok, first off, it's great that any veggies / vegans have a place like this to satisfy their urges for nasty fast food. But having said that, I was disappointed with the overall quality of the food: it's regular junk food, much like what you'd get at a McD's or BK (which to me can be very satisfying if you're drunk or starving but otherwise nothing special).

I've eaten veggie burgers at other places in Berlin (there's one near Boxhagener platz in Friedrichshain - can't remember the name - that does great quality) and had a better experience but there is nowhere that has such a variety of options on offer.

If you want real fast food then Yellow Sunshine is your man. If you want high quality veggie food then look elsewhere.

Pros: Large and varied menu, Real fast food on demand, Does exactly what it says on the tin
Cons: Not good quality, Somewhat expensive for what it is, vampires living in the rafters
wildfang
wildfang

Not very eco friendly, unfavourable price changes.

2 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2009

When I came to Berlin three years ago I just loved Yellow Sunshine and have probably tried all the vegan burgers and dishes there are and was always pleased. Unfortunately, there have been a few changes in the menu (they took off some vegan dishes, raised the prices by a lot..) and the presentation of the food. It is now a "real" fast food place with absolutely everything packed in convenience packaging - even the -nowadays quite small- salads come in a plastic box! Say what you want about how this is normal for fast food - I think if you have a big sign outside the shop advertising that you have Greenpeace energy (i.e. caring about the environment) and at the same time not using plates anymore but plastic and paper packaging, that just doesn't go together well.

For a whole menu with a burger, chips and salad you will pay around 10-11€ nowadays - too much if you ask me. It used to be 7-8€. The bionade used to cost 1€ if you had ordered a menu - it's 1,5€ now...

YS is still a good place to eat if you feel like having fast food but it has certainly not developed to the positive.

Pros: Good food
Cons: Excessive use of convenience packaging, Expensive
o0Carolyn0o
o0Carolyn0o

loved it!

5 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2009

mmm, this place is tasty! i tried the fakin' fish burger, which was deelish, and my boyfriend got the currywurst so that i would know what currywurst tasted like, and i shattered his heart by not liking it haha poor thing. but then again i don't like ketchup, and currywurst is bathing in ketchup. the fries were quite amazing. for those wishing that there were "healthier" options, this is a burger place people. the healthiest thing would be to stop obsessing about calories and fat 24/7. obviously eating greasy food EVERDAY is not healthy, but c'mon, it's one meal and there's no trickery about what's on the menu.

Pros: great choice, cheap, yumm!
Eugene Nyunt.
Eugene Nyunt.

Filling, the addition of salad adds healthiness.

5 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2009

Only a short stroll from Gorlitzer Bhf on the U1, they do a really great range of veggie and vegan burgers, fries, and salad. The vegan options are clearly stated. Quick fast food, the menu chalked up on the board on the wall (behind the counter). They'll give you a coupon/receipt with your order number, calling this out when it's ready - usually in German, but also if need be in English.
They also do take-outs as well. Plus great value, you shouldn't be spending more than six or seven euro for any one of several burgers and fries. While in Berlin recently I tried the fakin "fish" burger, and the double Hawaii "chicken" burger - both wrapped up in a bap. The double was especially good value.
The kitchen itself appears quite small, and if you're going in large groups you might find your various orders come through consecutively, ie. in stages, but the portions are so generous you won't be finishing your meal any time before the rest of your group.
The decor is warm and earthy, and in my view resembles a pizzeria, with seating at pavement level complementing the indoors tables a few steps up from the walkway. If you drink they also sell beer - including some German ones.

Pros: Quick., Extended opening hours., Great range.
Cons: If you loathe fried food.
hack_man
hack_man

Faux Meat Lovers

4 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2009

Don't knock this place, Yes, if you want fast 100% vegetarian food, a bit of grease, some fries and something verging on unhealthy but amazingly tasty then this is the place for you. This is the ultimate veggie fast food paradise where you can get burgers, sausages, steaks, hot dogs and schnitzels all completely animal free. Not the place to go if you're not a fan of emulation or faux meats. Enjoy, enjoy & enjoy the fast food experience of a vegetarian lifetime. Have a beer if it takes you and watch the Kreuzbergers go by their business on the street below. Go there, eat there and buy the T-shirt (Seriously, I did - Vegetarian Diner with rear logo for 12 EUR). I have been here so many times since 2004 and will always visit when in Berlin.

Pros: fast food, tasty, cool
btorb
btorb

burger paradise

4 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2009

Good, really good burgers. 10+ burgers to choose from. combine with a salad for a good meal!

earthville
earthville

Worth the trip

4 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2009

Yellow Sunshine might be out of the way for most visitors to Berlin, but IMHO it's worth the trip. Set in a strip of local eateries and bars popular with the younger crowd, it has a very casual atmosphere with both indoor & outdoor seating. English spoken. Tasty vegetarian comfort food with several vegan options and fresh organic juices.

To reach by public transport: From the Görlitzer Bahnhof station, walk southeast on Wienerstrasse for almost a block. It's on the right.

Note: it's in the same neighborhood as Veni Vidi Vegi vegan shop (see the shop's entry on the main Berlin page).

Pros: Tasty vegan grub, Reasonable prices, Lively setting
hbaley
hbaley

just what i needed

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2009

i can get really sick of eating the same old stuff... tofu scramble, stirfry, pasta. my soul tinges with jealousy every time i see my brother bite into a juicy burger. well here i have it, biggest selection of vegan burgers ive ever seen. two types of chai tea was also quite exciting. soooo cheap too. i would come back a thousand times (i went twice in five days).

Pros: nice staff, great selection, inexpensive
Cons: can get crowded
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Great spot! Healthy Food even possible!

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2009

We really lucked out on our visit, the wonderful people there suggested the lowest fat option, the double vegan chicken, which they grilled for us instead of deep frying, with no oil! The salad is amazing as well! I could eat there daily! Don't miss out!

Pros: salad, chili sauces, muffin
snappea
snappea

great veg fast food!

4 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2008

Great place for fast vegetarian food. Many vegan items available (and english menu available, too!) I tried the vegan curry wurst, which was OK. Also tried the pepper vegan burger, which was fantastic. Seems the place is best for its burgers, for a great value!

Pros: great veggie burgers
Cons: fast food atmosphere
evilduck
evilduck

Yellow Sunshine Fast Food

4 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2008

Location: This is a very, very popular joint in Kreuzberg, and is located right next to the famous "Wild at Heart" Rock club.

The Menu: As a vegan you're pretty much looking at a fast food joint, which is not necessarily bad, one just wishes for less fatty options. Personally I found the Seitan Burger way to dry and tasteless. But hey, the good side is I loved the "Pepperman-Cheeze" burger, and that's why I went back! Also: the "Fakin' Fish" is a huge hit with me as well as any carnivores I have lunched with while there.

Tip: Get away from the burgers and try the "Giros Plate" Which has a very convincing Greek tatziki sauce. Also: Soy Chai and Soy Coffee drinks, Blended Fruit drinks, and Bio Beer are also offered.
Sweets: The Muffins are nothing special, but on a recent visit on April 4th, 2008 they had Vegan Tiramisu.

Staff: Very friendly, Students, Alternatives, Punkers.

Atmosphere: Hippie type music (lol!), nice bright, hence "Sunshine"

Pros: Convienient, Bio-Trendy, Fast Food
Cons: Fast Food, Calories, Fatty
gisaster25
gisaster25

Good, greasy fast-food

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2008

I visited in Nov. '07 and May '08. Good, greasy fast-food. If you're craving a veggieburger and fries, this is the spot! I never order anything deep-fried from non-veg restaurants because you can never know what else is going in deep fryer or what kind of oil they use, so this place was a real treat for me. Try the yummy remoulade sauce. The plain wurst was a little bland with a side of potato salad; next time I'd try the currywurst with an interesting sauce. No problems ordering in English, but you need to listen for them to call out your food when it's ready for pick-up.

Pros: Solid veg fast-food, Lots of sauces and toppings
Cons: Huge menu to ponder ;P
Doodle
Doodle

Urgh and more urgh

2 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2008

I totally don't get it. It's like a pile of blobby fried fat on a plate. Havn't they heard of steaming anything. Great for your first vegan heart attack.

Cons: Fried, Fried, Fried
  • Visit Visit

Fast Food is fat... when you don't like it, why do you go there??

• o0Carolyn0o o0Carolyn0o

one fast food meal does not equal a heart attack, but continued obsessing about fat and calories just might, and in fact it actually has. who steams a veggie burger?

Merciless666
Merciless666

IF you're into fast food It's your place...

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2008

This is a good choice, if you're on the way to a show or party or just want to get something fast which is not Döner. It's overrated in my eyes, but everybody just seems to love this place. Anyways it's good to have it right around the corner ;-)
Go check it out yourself!
Merciless526

Pros: fast, good location, great french fries
Cons: overrated
mr.pancakes
mr.pancakes

ich fands nicht wirklich gut!!

2 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2007

ich hatte einen double chicken cheese burger und pommes dazu.leider gab es keinen veganen käse auch nicht 2 tage später als ich wieder da war und die pommes lagen wohl schon einige stunden.das personal hat sich aber nicht wirklich daran gestört und sowas darf meiner meinung nach nicht passieren.zumindest nicht 2 tage in folge.ansonsten kann ich der karte nichts abgewinnen als dessert gibt es alpro pudding in der plaste verpackung also alles andere als innovativ es sollte zwar ein tiramisu laut karte geben aber das war wohl erst 4-5 stunden später fertig trotz der tatsache das ich abends um 8 da essen war.trotz der vielen guten reviews die man liesst und was man imemrwieder hört finde ich es im yellow sunshine nichtmal mittelmass..leider..

• Visit Visit

Endlich mal eine negative Meinung, die erklärt warum man es nicht mochte.

nien
nien

Simply great

5 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2007

Everthing was great in this place!
Very friendly staff, (We got some free veggie meatballs because they were leftover!)
great food..
I wish there were as much happy sunshine's as there are maccie D's and B king's.. that would be the good life!

Pros: lovely food, friendly staff, good value
Pan Tau
Pan Tau

Fast food can be healthy

5 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2007

This is fast food heaven in Kreuzberg that serves excellent vegetarian and even vegan burgers. In addition the beer they sell is from a very good ecological brewery in Bavaria - what more can you ask for ;-)

Pros: Excellent food, Very good beer
kamikazekid
kamikazekid

Good and cheap fast food

4 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2007

Nice restaurant, fairly cheap and tons of choice! Eaten here a couple of times over the past two years and haven't been disappointed.

Pros: Cheap, Good food
ampallang
ampallang

Oh the fake meat

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2007

This place was quite nice, cheap for what it is. I enjoyed having some fun vegan food again. Lots of interesting people seem to go here. MEal is aroun 6 euro or a little more with chips and salad. Well worth it

Pros: good price, Tasty food
Cons: nto verz healthy...
Guest
Guest

Excellent Food, Lots of Variety

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2007

We are from NYC, and we think this restaurant has a hip, casual, East Village feel. There are endless varieties of veggie burgers (soy, seitan, tofu, etc.), served with a generous amount of fries and/or a large, fresh salad. An English menu available, just ask. Some of the friendly staff members speak a little English. There are lots of vegan options, indicated on the clearly marked menu. The bathroom is clean and the restaurant was a little crowded when we were there, but not that bad. (Note: there are a few steps to maneuver, in case you have a baby stroller, as we did.) We had the Vegan Fish Burger (recommended by the staff) and it was amazing, particularly the sauce. We also had the Vegan Shrimp and Vegetarian Bacon Cheeseburger (vegan except for the cheese), which were also great. They also serve beer and wine. We highly recommend this establishment.

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Nice staff
Cons: Smoking allowed
gmfielden
gmfielden

Makes life worth living

5 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2007

I don't think I'd be exaggerating if I were to estimate that I've eaten at this place over one hundred times. Was a regular during a one-semester study abroad in Berlin awhile back and got to know the one of the owners a bit. Later he asked me to translate the menu into English (if you visit, feedback would be much appreciated!) and let me eat there free for a month as payment. Well needless to say by the end of that time period I was a walking seitan burger. Every single time I pass through Berlin, even if it's just transferring from aeroplane to train, I make sure to make a stop here. Makes life worth living.

Pros: Variety of vegan burgers, Expertly prepared fries, Organic beer
Cons: Allows smoking after 6pm
bullcityveg
bullcityveg

Was good!

4 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2007

It is definitely fast food-- the seitan burger is amazing but everything is fried. Menu is available in English and German. That said, I totally made the trek to Kreuzberg biweekly for some vegan food.

There are more types of burgers than you can possibly imagine, and the opportunity to try a Berlin fav...currywurst!

Pros: variety
Cons: fried food

Dear Owner and Manager of Yellow Sunshine: