This small restaurant with 10 seats is run by a couple, and the food is 100% vegan. The menu is very simple, just a "teishoku," like a "menu of the day". The number of food portions is limited, so reservation is suggested. On weekends, it's first come-first-served basis. Large drink menu is large, and vegan sweets are available. The "teishoku" costs approx. 1280 yen on weekdays, and 1380 weekends (drinks extra). Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Japanese
Tochigi-ken NikkĊ-shi Nakahatsuishimachi 909
Nikko, Japan

Mon-Wed 11:30am-5:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:30am-5:00pm

First Review by Ricardo
Michelle Bridi
Michelle Bridi

Sold out after 2hours, sent home hungry!

Posted on 09 / 06 / 2015

I searched the restaurant from the main street on the way to the temples, but I could not find it. So on my way back two hours later I came back and saw it (it is easier to find there because its front does not face the main street.) I came there totally hungry, only to find that the restaurant was sold out. The sign outside said its open from 12to 18h and it was 14:10h!!!! Are you kidding me? The man told me it is sold out, appologized shortly and lost attaintion. The other vegetarian friendly restaurant on the other side was closed as well. I asked in a few other restaurabt and finally found something after communicating for 10min with the friendly stuff.

I need to.say the food looks really good, but it is no.way to treat customers like that. I was totally frustrated afterwards which made my trip a little less rememberable.

Pros: food looked good
Cons: sells out too early
Nancy Cadet
Nancy Cadet

Good food, all vegan

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2013

Location: on Nikko's Main Street , just before the Shinkyo sacred bridge, in an old building with an English sign "Oriental Fine Art...Trading Company." There's a small wooden sign on the entrance with the name of the cafe.

Food and ambiance: friendly, stylish interior with a few natural food and body care products for sale. Serves a set meal for lunch, (about 1100 yen) coffee, tea and desserts. We arrived when all the set meals were sold out, but the owner-chef offered to make us a veg curry. It was delicious . I also bought fresh baked banana nut muffins to take out.

Pros: All vegan , Fresh local ingredients , Beautiful ceramic tableware
Cons: Lunch only

Amazing Food!

Posted on 05 / 04 / 2013

I was visiting Nikko for the first time in March 2013, and this restaurant was recommended by the Hostel owners when I was emailing before my trip started. I emailed Yasai Cafe Meguri to make a reservation and didn't hear back, but when I arrived at my Hostel, the owners said they contacted the Cafe and a reservation would be ok. They drove me there and spoke to the owner. I am so glad I booked, as it was all sold out for the day and I would have missed out on this amazing meal.

The Cafe is on the main road in Nikko and although it doesn't look like a Cafe, it is pretty distinctive on the road! It's on the left hand side if you're walking away from the World Heritage Site towards the train stations.

There are only a few tables, I think they make around 10 meals a day, and it was fully booked this Friday lunchtime with everyone arriving shortly after I arrived, all sat and waiting by 12pm. There is one meal on the menu and you can choose to have it with or without tea and cake. I chose with! The service took a little while, especially those who arrived last (still only 5 minutes after I arrived) as it was only the owner and his wife doing all the preparation. It was so worth the wait, though, as the food was the best I ate on that whole trip in Japan.

My course consisted of tempura tofu in the most incredible creamy sauce, with a white cabbage soup (amazing!), some potato in a sticky sauce with black sesame seeds and sweet potato in a different sauce. it was accompanied by brown rice and bean shoot salad. Dessert was a tofu cheesecake and tea. The food was delicate, full of flavour and love and of a Michelin standard. The portions were not enormous, but it wasn't about quantity, simply quality.

The other 7 guests that day were all Japanese, and many others came to get a table only to be turned away. Please do book well in advance as it is popular, and my Hostel hosts said it is the best restaurant in Nikko, vegan or otherwise.

The owners were very polite and spoke a little English. They also sold a few natural products and foods at the entrance.

The building is so beautiful and a peaceful atmosphere. Needless to say I cannot wait to return to Nikko to visit the amazingly scenic sites and eat at Yasai Cafe Meguri again.

Pros: Amazing quality food, Beautiful setting, Inventive and special cooking
Cons: Must book!, Only serve lunch

Exceptional food

Posted on 04 / 24 / 2012

This place is fantastic. When we arrived, they had already sold out for lunch, but were still willing to serve us as they couldn't think of anywhere else we could get a good vegetarian meal nearby. There is western and Japanese style seating. The crockery is wonderful soapstone stuff. The set lunch (800JPY) is very filling and varied, with lots of complimentary flavours, and the green tea (200JPY) is decent. Get there early to make sure they haven't sold out (unlike us!).

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly owners, Homely feel

Good vegan food for lunch time.

Posted on 10 / 30 / 2011

The place is located within walking distance from the shrines, on the main (and only) street in Nikko.
The food changes frequently, so there is no one dish I could recommend. It's open for lunch time, and while it is a little more expensive than what you would pay for the same amount of food in other places (even in Tokyo), it is the only 100% vegan place around there.

The food itself was good, the size of the portions was normal for Japan, and the atmosphere was very cozy.
Perhaps the only downside is that the menu is fixed, so there is nothing to choose from. Also, the place has only 10 or so seats, and there is no waiting place inside, so if it is full, you'll need to wait outside (which may be a little bothersome when the weather is not nice).

Pros: 100% vegan, Relatively inexpensive, Cozy
Cons: Small, Pre-fixed menu

Dear Owner and Manager of Yasai Cafe Meguri: