Yamm is a stylish and expansive (750 square meters) self service vegetarian restaurant. Offers a broad list of vegan dishes and an extensive wine list. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine

B_in_VT
B_in_VT

Fantastic Food, Chic but Relaxed Atmosphere

Posted on 06 / 13 / 2015

This restaurant has an extensive self-service buffet where you pay by weight. There is a wonderful range of vegan and gluten-free options and a full bar. The servers are friendly and multi-lingual. It's in a great location on the Ring right across from the University of Vienna. Because it caters to students as well as the people who work in the government buildings nearby, the decor and atmosphere is upscale and edgy, but very comfortable, and we were definitely able to "come as we were" in terms of clothing. My husband and I both thought that the price for the food was extremely reasonable given the excellent quality. In short, this place is an absolute winner. (To give you an idea how much we liked the food: they have a cookbook that they sell to raise money for charity, and I bought it on the spot.)

A tip for rookies: The payment system is smart, but it takes a bit of getting used to. When you arrive, you're given a card, and then you go to the buffet, choose what you want, and bring your plate over to a scale to be weighed. The confusing bit is that you think you should somehow scan your card, but really you just need to press it flat against the upper left hand of the monitor. Then, when your plate has been weighed, be sure to press the green "Buchen" button on the screen. When you do, a receipt will print out and that's how you know your order went through. Bring the receipt and the card with you to your table, where a server will come and take your drinks order. It's a bit strange and it took me a couple of tries the first time, but it's very easy once you figure out how it works.

Pros: Delicious food, Lots of vegan and gluten-free options, Great atmosphere
aclasse
aclasse

Relaxed setting and food for everyone

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2015

We had been here on a previous visit (2011 I think) and managed to go again twice during a recent stay of just a few days so we must like it. On one occasion we had been to an opera and arrived just as they were closing the buffet but they were still welcoming.

If you have been to Tibits in London this place has a similar format, with a main-course buffet to which you help yourself, and then pay according to the weight of the plate (I think mine came to about 11 euros which seemed reasonable). They have a good variety of food on the buffet including two different asparagus dishes, hurrah. Not everything is vegan but most of it seems to be and it's clearly marked. Everything I had was fresh and delicious and it's mostly made from vegetables, lentils etc rather than fake meat (I did have one dish involving seitan but it was clearly marked).

They also have desserts, including amazingly light vegan torte things, which they sell by the piece (not on the buffet). One slice of cake seemed big enough for two but it depends how hungry you are, obviously.

Only quibble is that the system for payment seems slightly fiddly - get a card for your main course, scan it on the screen (not card-reader - another customer had to show me how), get a print-out then pay a server at the end (they add on the cost of drinks and desserts to what's on the print-out, I think). But it's more trouble for the staff than the customers.

Pros: Fresh, varied food, Plenty for vegans, Nice atmosphere and staff
Cons: Ordering and payment slightly complicate
Myszka
Myszka

Very good buffet

Posted on 04 / 12 / 2015

It's a great self service restaurant with waiters bringing you the drinks. The waiters were very friendly and helpful. You should try the soups, they are also great. And don't miss the Wasabi Hummus and the Mint Cucumber Salad. If you have ever been in a Tibits Restaurant somewhere in Europe - it's quite similar.

Misanthropia
Misanthropia

Modern buffet-style restaurant

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2015

This restaurant welcomes you in with a great modern atmosphere. Buffet style, you pay by every 100g of food you take, and the varriety and possibilities are great - although many of the vegan dishes are asian, which doesn't seem very creative. However, they offer great deserts, and a breakfast menu for vegans. The whole thing is quite expensive, considering it is located so close to the university, but at least they offer student discounts.

Pros: Great atmosphere., Good food, great deserts., Student discounts.
Cons: Expensive., Vegan options mostly asian.
Vegan since 1990
Vegan since 1990

You must eat at Yamm!

Posted on 04 / 05 / 2015

Fantastic fantastic fantastic vegan (and vegetarian) food! This is a by the kilo restaurant that is aesthetically pleasing and has delicious food. I had the glass noodles, wasabi hummus, and tortilla stuffed with sweet potato and bean. So savory. So far my spouse and I have eaten three meals in two days because we loved it so much. Not to be missed is the hazelnut chocolate torte. I love cakes and sweets and getting an amazing vegan torte is pure heaven. The prices are reasonable and if you eat there before 11:00 am the price is cheaper. The wait staff is friendly, helpful, and nice.

Pros: Delicious vegan desserts, Lovely decor, Fantastic food
jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Dangerous

Posted on 12 / 25 / 2013

A friend took us here recently and we were super excited about all the clearly labeled vegan options on the buffet. I didn't think we went overboard loading up our plates, so I was pretty shocked when we went up to pay and the plates were 20 euro each!! I couldn't get past that enough to really enjoy the food. In retrospect, it was pretty good, especially the soy meatloaf and falafel. But I just can't recommend it due to the price.

Pros: vegan options
Cons: expensive
HappyMadmax
HappyMadmax

overrated and expensive

Posted on 09 / 15 / 2013

This place is overrated, unfriendly and way too expensive. They charge more than anybody else and give you less quantity and quality. In the beginning they sometimes "forgot" to not charge for an empty plate on their scale.
Of course they now deny everything and wanna look super shiny but trust me, there are plenty of outstanding vegan options nearby.

Pros: vegan
Cons: too expensive, unfriendly, snobbish
pixi42
pixi42

Good But Not Much Choice

Posted on 08 / 02 / 2013

Tasty
Not many choices and almost the same everyday

Pros: Tasty
Cons: Limited Choice
Helena By
Helena By

great!

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2013

great place! with a stunning kitchen, funky staff! and good prices! we love to eat there!

AlexanderGamayunov
AlexanderGamayunov

Best of Vienna

Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

We were in Vienna on 5 days, and 1-2 times a day to eat Yamm! We walked about 8 vegetarian restaurants in Vienna, but Yamm - by far the best! we just fell in love with him! very tasty food, want more and more)))) 100 g food costs 2.7 euros and you yourself choose what and how much you want! salads, vegetables, hot food! We love it! Thanks to the one who discovered this wonderful place!

martina1988
martina1988

Naschmarkt

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2013

We went to their shop/restaurant on the Naschmarkt and it was great ! Noce place, nice people and great food - we were happy !

Would go there again.

Pros: great food
Cons: could have been a little more (dish)
kzollman
kzollman

A good find

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2013

This was a really wonderful find in Vienna. It is a buffet with a wide variety of options, including some creative re-interpretations of classic Austrian dishes. It has a nice atmosphere with a lot of people coming and going.

The system is a little odd. You fill your plate and then pay by weight. As a result, the price depends a lot on what you get. It seemed to me pretty expensive for the food, but I was willing to pay it.

Pros: Wide selection, Good quality food, Creative re-inventions
Cons: Price
Elsa7
Elsa7

Great and tasty buffet

Posted on 04 / 06 / 2013

The buffet has a wide choice of wamr and cold dishes.
Everything I took was tasty. The food looks good (and tastes well).
The place is lively and a big open space.
I didn't see mention it was vegetarian....certanly cause it is so tasty and good looking that people would walk in and eat here even without realizing that there was no meat :)

Pros: vast selection, tasty, fast
TofuCelt
TofuCelt

Nice but over-priced

Posted on 12 / 23 / 2012

This place is pretty easy to find once you are in the area. There are big green signs on either sides of the 'restuarant'. We had a look in the restuarant and after reading some of the reviews, I thought it would be a good place to stop off for something to eat. The interior is quite colourful. When you go in, first you have to pick up a dish and fill it with the foods you want from the round counter. You pay by weight. However, the plates are some of the heaviest I have ever felt, so more than half the weight you are paying for is the actual plate. At that price I'd expect to be able to keep the plate as well. And believe me, like everything in Austria, it is way over-priced. The food is very expensive, especially for something that you have to collect yourself. The drinks are also very expensive. The only positive I can really say about the food is that there was a good selection of which most seemed vegan and with also a few vegetarian and not so much meat dishes. Even my partner, a non-veggie, choose the veggie dishes. The food tastes good, but not great, and all is cold bar the soups. The deserts are nothing much to write home about and the service is very basic. If money isn't an option for you, it's a fairly okay place to go to, but for me, it's way over-priced.

Pros: Good selection, Easy to find, Bright decor
Cons: Very-expensive, Nearly all cold foods, No proper service
glutenfreeit
glutenfreeit

great restaurant

Posted on 10 / 30 / 2012

We ate there a few times and we really liked the food. True, it's not cheap, but that's the price to pay for fresh food with no or little processed ingredients. Every dish come with a detailed ingredients list (so you can figure out if you'll like or not) and it's colour coded as vegan, gluten free and so on. They have also vegan desserts, however none of them is gluten free.

Pros: free tap water, gluten free
Cons: no gluten free bread/desserts
rosie
rosie

nice place, found the food a bit pricey though

Posted on 08 / 19 / 2012

I really wanted to like Yamm. The place was nicely done, comfy seats, friendly staff, nice atmosphere and has wifi. The food is done by weight per 100g- it's very like Titbits in London, and so I did find it was quite expensive compared to Formosa or Loving Hut for instance. The salads were all quite nice, but the hot food did seem like it had been sitting out on the hotplates for a while - we went early evening- and it was ok, it just didn't seem that fresh.

Pros: friendly staff, good range , nice venue
Cons: a bit more pricey, not fresh out of the oven
Sundri
Sundri

Yamm is really yammy!!

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2012

Was going to othe vegitarian restaurant and was looking for street and this nice person told me to try yamm, what a nice place and great food!!! Thx

cookiemonster
cookiemonster

Pay by weight, Expensive but Delicious

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2012

When we decided to eat here, I can't say I was overjoyed because it looked like most pay-by-weight veggie restaurants. Ie. expensive and disappointing. However, I was pleasantly surprised that the food was really good overall and a couple of dishes were amazing. I was right about one thing: it's expensive. A modest plate is going to be about 15€ just for the food. If you're hungry or buying drinks expect to pay more. Otherwise, enough choices to be interesting and vegan dishes are clearly marked and, as I mentioned, the food was good.

There is one exceptional thing to mention however: the desserts are super yummy and super cheap! Slices of amazing cakes/pies for under 3€ and 4 super fine cookies for like 2.2€. I highly recommend the cranberry cookies and the cardommon cookies!

I'd give it a three for food, considering the price for buffet-style, but a 5 for desserts. I love cookies so it's gonna be a 4 overall :)

Pros: Cheap, amazing desserts, Good food
Cons: Expensive
Gudrun
Gudrun

5 cows!

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2012

Very nice and stylish restaurant, delicious food, lots of vegan options including baked goods. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Definitely 5 cows!

Pros: Variety of food, Quality of food, friendly staff
lizoox
lizoox

nice place

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

There's a large variety of food. Not the best I've ever had, but nice. A good atmosphere, good location, friendly staff.
The vest thing I ate there was a Zwetchken cake (vegan).

wildfang
wildfang

Expensive, oversalted - but child-friendly

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2012

We were quite hungry when we came here longing for some tasty food but were kind of disappointed - the fact that the food is weighed at the counter makes it difficult for you to estimate the price you will end up paying - my plateful thus ended up costing an incredible 18,4€ - and it's not even all organic. The food was tasty, though, but way too salty.
What I did appreciate was the children's playing area in the back - something you hardly ever find in Viennese restaurants.
Service was friendly and quick, music was too loud. I will be back as soon as I've won the lottery ;-)

Senkenberg
Senkenberg

My new favourite in Vienna

Posted on 05 / 07 / 2012

Vienna has lengthy Happy Cow listings but not much that is really good, so almost missed this one. It's a really cool place with a really really good buffet selection of hot and cold foods, on a great location on the ring itself (on the inner, north,side of the ring). Spotlessly clean, spacious and stylish - I will be back!

Pros: Food, Style, Location
Sarayna
Sarayna

Something for everyone!

Posted on 01 / 29 / 2012

I loved this place - the buffet had everything you could possibly want to suit any taste, and you pay by weight so you get exactly the amount you want and don't end up wasting food.

It's exactly like Tibbits in London, perhaps owned by same chain?

Would recommend to everyone for any occasion - quick and easy because everything's ready prepared, but also very smart and serves wine, cocktails etc if you want to make more of an occasion of it. I felt quite comfortable by myself on a small table, but at the next table there was a birthday party with champagne so really suitable for anything.

Pros: Variety, Friendly staff, Convenience
judas_77
judas_77

very nice

Posted on 12 / 21 / 2011

very modern and stylish,

self servicing food bar with an incredible amount of different dishes, not possible to try all on one evening :-)

you pay for the weight of the food, so you can choice how much you want to eat or pay

easy to find - direct located at the "Ringstrasse"

for 2 persons with a big hunger we paid approx 30€ without drinks - water for free

Pros: very friendly , variety of food, quality of food

Dear Owner and Manager of Yamm: