Yam Leaf Bistro

Food is made to order and kitchen could make a dish vegan upon request. Create-your-own papusa. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Salvadoran, Beer/Wine, Take-out
699 Calderon Ave
Mountain View, California 94041
650-940-9533

Open Mon-Fri 11am-2pm, 5-9pm, Sat 5-9pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by kfritz
vegankiddo
vegankiddo

Friendly service, but food is meh

3 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2014

Up front I will say that my dining partner and I had two very different opinions of this place. While she didn't LOVE it, she liked it enough that she would want to go back. I disliked it enough that I felt that I would never need to return here. But the good stuff first: the staff were very friendly, and our server was careful to make sure our whole order was marked vegan in their little tablet ordering system, which took some time, but we appreciated the vote of confidence that we wouldn't end up with cheese in our food.

Now on to the food: To start, we shared a tamale, which had nothing inside of it, but was just corn masa wrapped in a banana leaf. It was like eating cornbread, and the flavor was nice, but it was a bit dry and we expected some filling. It was also oddly served with a sprinkling of walnuts and raisins on the plate. Trail mix with your cornbread...felt like a dinner I'd prepare in the backcountry over my campstove.

For entrees, we had the platano platter and the broccoli pupusa. Both weren't bad; they were edible, decently flavored, but nothing to write home about. Nothing held my interest enough to make me want to go back, since I feel like could make the same food or better at home, but my friend is willing to give it another shot.

Pros: Friendly staff
Cons: Mediocre food
kfritz
kfritz

Vegan Options for Almost Everything on the Menu

4 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2014

The cuisine is Salvadorian -- I think this used to be a traditional Salvadorian restaurant before it was converted (though I'd never been to it before). They also have Buddhist options for many of the items on the menu.

I ordered the Pupusa/Plantano platter, with a bean & squash pupusa. It came with some re-fried beans, Spanish rice, and mildly pickled cabbage. The pupusa only contained a small amount of vegan cheese (which I'm not a fan of). All the items were well prepared and fresh tasting. They apparently have sprouted brown rice and quinoa options, but these were not offered to us when we ordered.

On our visit, the service was not great. To be fair, it was a crowded Friday night, and only one waiter was serving the whole restaurant, and they're still working the kinks out of their fancy iPad ordering system. I'll definitely be back and reserve the right to add a star when the service kinks are worked out.

Definitely worth a visit!

Pros: Friendly staff, Wine and Beer!
Cons: Understaffed, Limited hours

Dear Owner and Manager of Yam Leaf Bistro: