Yak and Yeti - Westminster

Serves meat, veg options available. Himalayan cuisine (Nepal and Indian) and handcrafted beer. All-you-can-eat buffet at lunchtime, a la carte menu dinner. While the menu is primarily meat, the website shows a vegetarian section with around 15 main dishes, and on premises you will also find a vegan menu. Note the samosas may contain dairy. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Nepalese, Tibetan, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by vegan1
Redheaded Vegan
Redheaded Vegan

Very Vegan Friendly

2 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2014

Yak and Yeti has a separate vegan menu at the back of their regular menu which makes ordering super-simple here. It's a fairly diverse selection, though I do with they had vegan versions of some other dishes I love, but the fact that they are so accommodating makes up for that.

My favorite selections off of that menu are the Chana Masala, Aloo Gobi, and Vegetable Biryani. I stay away from the Saag, which I love, but they use soy milk as an alternative, and it's not my favorite. In my ideal world, it would be coconut, but you can't have everything, right?

They have a buffet with one half being vegetarian, so if you're veggie, but not vegan, there is always a great selection of stuff.

My one complaint, and in my opinion it's a huge one, which is why my rating is so low, is that service is absolutely terrible. My husband and I suspect it may had to do with most of the customers being buffet orderers, so perhaps they are not used to having to do much. On different occasions I have had to wait inordinately long for my check or change, hunt people down for it, have had mass confusion about change (and been short-changed by a LOT), and have been seated and then ignored. It's unfortunate, because I want to be more supportive, but it's frustrating to feel as though they don't care.

Pros: Large vegan menu, Tasty food, 1/2 the buffet is vegetarian
Cons: Horrible service
HappyCowKeown
HappyCowKeown

Separate vegan menu!

3 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2014

It's great having a separate vegan menu - just make sure that you go there for dinner. It's an absolute zoo at lunchtimes because of the buffet (no vegan items) and this makes the experience tough! The food is tasty but the dishes do all seem to have a very similar flavor. It's a little pricier choosing off the menu, I wish they would have a vegan buffet like other restaurants.

Pros: Separate vegan menu (ask for it)
Cons: Too busy at lunchtimes , No vegan buffet items, Food v similar in flavors
alllifeissacred
alllifeissacred

Best Buffet

4 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2011

No matter what a buffet is never as good as an ordered meal. With this said this was the best vegetarian buffet I've tried yet. Sorry vegans it might be slim pickins. I do recommend their sag panir and sweet potato masala. Also their carrot pudding and sweet fried dough balls were excellent tasting deserts. The atmosphere was so so but not terrible. And the price was great. All u could eat for 10 dollars. I wondered how they made any money at all. Oh well I just tried to enjoy and not think too much about it.

Pros: Great food, Variety , Price
Cons: SO so atmosphere, Slim vegan options
VeganNinja
VeganNinja

Delicious VEGAN Menu!

4 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2010

I have been to the Yak & Yeti Arvada location three times in the last year. They have an excellent separate vegan menu and are very sure to make sure your order is written down and made vegan. There are several traditional Indian options on the vegan menu, like Saag, that are made with soy milk instead of cream/ghee. Y & Y's Chana Masala is the best I've ever had, veganism notwithstanding. I also love that if order a dish "medium-hot" it actually comes out spicy with a nice toasty bite to it. The staff and chefs are all knowledgeable about a vegan diet and you can feel comfortable ordering food and knowing that it will arrive vegan and delicious!

Pros: Separate Vegan Menu, Great Spice and Flavor, Affordable & Great Atmosphere
Cons: Not All Vegan, Service Can Be Sluggish When it's Busy
ladenedge
ladenedge

Pleasant, but difficult for vegans

3 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2009

Yak & Yeti isn't terribly vegan friendly, so we don't visit too often. As the earlier review mentioned, however, it is possible to veganize many of the vegetarian dishes and the roti. It might be helpful to ask for the chef directly, as the staff isn't always reliable.

If you make it through the ordering process (or if you're a vegetarian), you'll find that the food itself is well worth it.

Final note to vegans: the free "chips & dip" appetizer given to everyone comes by default with a creamy sauce. Ask your server in advance to omit it!

Pros: Accessible chef, Yummy food, Respectable vegetarian buffet
Cons: Difficult for vegans
vegan1
vegan1

Vegan friendly and delicious!

4 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2007

Nice atmosphere, friendly staff, fantastic food.
One side of the buffet is completely vegetarian (though not vegan) but me and my vegan friends ordered 5 different dishes off the menu and they made them all vegan for us. They also have one vegan bread.
I'll be going back regularly...

Pros: delicious, vegan friendly, friendly staff
Cons: samosas aren't vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of Yak and Yeti - Westminster: