Yaffle Cafe and Bookshop

Upstairs from Sound Bite whole food store. Serves range of hot snacks like toasties, organic beans on toast, soup, plus vegan ploughman, daily specials, all day breakfast. Regular meal nights and other evening events. Also a book store selling second hand books, plus Social Change library. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Western, British, English

First Review by cowsarevegan
adamveggie
adamveggie

Nice, inexpensive, quirky

5 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2014

Went here for a first date. I had the soup, he had a toasted sandwich. Food was nice, the café was like a jumble sale with books and games everywhere but it all added to a quirky ambience. The cakes on display were tempting!

Would definitely recommend and visit again

Pros: Low cost, Simple, non pretentious food, Quirky surroundings in the cafe
Miggi
Miggi

Brilliant Vegan community Cafe

5 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2014

We were driving up the M1 and used the HappyCow app to find the nearest vegan-friendly place rather than stopping at a service station to have overpriced rubbish! Recommend this to everyone as we found Yaffle!
Yaffle is a totally vegan cafe above the vegan health food store, easy to find in the town centre.
Nice, laid back atmosphere with activist books and zines to browse (some to borrow and some for sale) and a nice menu that included a roast, all day brekkie, vegan ploughman's, toasties and cakes.
Friendly service and scrummy food.

Pros: All vegan , All day breakfast, Chocolate Tiffin
Cons: None.
Libra77
Libra77

Just ok...

3 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2014

Very small cafe on the first floor above Soundbites shop. The kitchen area is tiny and you need to pass through here to get to the seating area. General feeling was that the cafe needed some improvement, a lick of paint and some cleaning required.
The menu is all Vegan which is great to see, it is not extensive but there is a good choice available. Service was a little hectic, only one person serving and cooking, smoke alarms going off due to burnt food.
The food I had wasn't particularly tasty and didn't really inspire me to make a return visit soon. I'd probably pop in again if in the area and stuck for lunch but it wouldn't be on my "must visit again" list personally.

Pros: All Vegan menu, Above a well stocked health food shop, Friendly staff
Cons: Cleanliness, Food was just ok
freedomfields
freedomfields

Relaxed Atmosphere and Great Food

5 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2013

If you're ever in Derby, Yaffle is well worth a visit. Like the shop below (Soundbites), everything is vegan and invariably delicious. They do some excellent soups, toasties and cakes, great comfort food - I'm a fan of sausage and beans on toast! It has a really nice chilled out atmosphere, the staff are lovely and there are some fab books to read in its social change library. Yaffle is also open for dinner on Thursday nights, and the food is mighty fine! I'm already looking forward to my next visit...

turtleveg
turtleveg

Charming and welcoming

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2013

This was on our list to check out after looking up vegan options in Derby on happycow - we are so pleased we picked it. It's upstairs above the small natural foods store called Sound Bites, just a short walk from the Strand. It's a small apartment converted into a restaurant so when you first walk in you are in the kitchen and then up a few more stairs to the dining area where there are loads of books as part of a radical lending library and informative brochures and magazines to browse. The woman who greeted us was friendly and welcoming and helped us out since it was our first time there. It's very informal and feels like you are at a friends house and they are preparing lunch for you. We opted for 2 orders of the breakfast special (which she prepared even though it was afternoon). £5 for toast, beans, veggie sausage, tomato, mushrooms and a tea, coffee or juice. Such a bargain for a nice hot meal! I mentioned I avoid eating a lot of gluten even though I'm not strictly gluten free and she was kind enough to go downstairs to Sound Bites and grab a gluten-free sausage for me. It took a while to prepare but it was worth the wait! In the meantime we browsed through a few books and magazines and enjoyed our time. It is all vegan, and my omnivore partner and I loved every bite!

cowsarevegan
cowsarevegan

Yaffle

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2013

Really friendly and sweet staff. I like the atmosphere and the food is great! There are felt tips in a pot on the table, so you can colour in or something if you wish. I doodled in my notepad whilst enjoying my irish stew

Dear Owner and Manager of Yaffle Cafe and Bookshop: