A casual-nice vegetarian restaurant offering traditional Chinese cuisine but inspired through contemporary trends. Dishes are mostly vegan with extensive selections in savories plus has sweet desserts, large selection of teas. Picture menu with English translations available. Located in the KaiXin Center, out of exit 2 at West Nanjing Rd Line 2 metro station, at 南京西路819号, 开欣商厦410室. Since May 2014. Call for hours - tell us. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Beer/Wine
819 West Nanjing Rd, KaiXin Center, 4th Floor (ShiMen Rd)
Shanghai, China

Call for hours - tell us

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Tianci
MMC
MMC

Trust and wonderful pineapple curry rice - yuan only

Posted on 12 / 25 / 2015

I will always remember my visit to this wonderful spot on Nanjing road. Thankfully the reviews on Happy Cow helped in navigating to this tucked away spot up and around escalators. I was seated in a booth with beaded gauze curtains and a stack of Chinese books with a beautifully illustrated map of vegan restaurants in Shanghai. The service was polite and kind. A pot of lemongrass tea was placed on the table as I perused the vast menu with photos and descriptions of options - sweet or savory. I ordered the broccoli and mushroom dish which I thought was a side dish but arrived as a lovely soup with a full floret of broccoli in a delicious broth swimming with mushrooms The curried pineapple rice served here is the real emperor of China - moist, savory and slightly sweet with veggies and chunks of pineapple served in a carved pineapple dish.
So happy and full I was to pay my tab and find that they did not accept US credit cards and directed me to a nearby ATM which was broken and I was told "You can pay next time" Unfortunately I rarely visit Shanghai though I really should be allowed to visit more often.
I ventured down Nanjing road several blocks and finally found an ATM - a private booth with glass doors for security which resembled a large telephone booth.
I hurried back on the tree lined Nanjing road with colorful flowered shaped lights, pink scooters and cool pedestrians up and around escalators on the 4th floor to be greeted by cheerfully by the woman at the counter who held up a hand written note in English. "You can pay next time"
Next time? ... Maybe a year or so I thought... Next life? ... May be awhile.
"Oh no" I said "It was so delicious - I will pay now"
Vegan, green and wonderful - here's to the new China.

earthville
earthville

My favorite so far in Shanghai

Posted on 12 / 24 / 2015

XiangJi Ge Vegetarian has a truly fantastic menu, with a great variety ranging from traditional staples to a number of items I'd never seen anywhere else.

I started with the "tree flower" salad, which I selected because it was the most unusual item on the menu. It was unique and great. The experience was a bit like the first time I ever had Japanese sea vegetable salad, lo those many years ago: a bit strange at first bite, but then I was hooked. I followed that up with the potstickers with cordyceps flower and mushrooms, which were divine. But there's enough variety on the menu that everyone should find plenty to love.

There's a good selection of teas, too. And the prices were quite reasonable, especially considering the quality.

Service was helpful and friendly, and though my server didn't speak English, the proprietors do. Note that their machine could not accept non-Chinese credit cards.

Pros: Fantastic menu
SP
SP

A great option!

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2015

The menu here is quite extensive (and in English, as well as with photos) and we took some time deciding what to order, as there were only two of us and only so much we could eat, so we had to limit ourselves. Even then we had leftovers.

Everything we tried was good, and we especially liked the potato and carrot dish, as well as the dumplings. Some items are similar to what can be found in some other Chinese veg places.

The inside of the restaurant is nice too, and I loved the booths over by the window.

It's very close to the metro which is great for days when you're trying to avoid the weather!

Pros: delicious, many options, very close to subway

AndyT
AndyT

Nice Chinese Vegan-friendly restaurant

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2014

Using Tianci's description (take Metro line 2 to Nanjing West Road, take exit # 2, turn right when you arrive at the street and walk 30-40 meters, then enter the shopping mall and go to 4th floor), I easily managed to find this place. (I also post a picture how the entrance to the mall looks like, for those who - like me - can not read "KaiXin Center" when it is written in Chinese signs :-)

The restaurant has a wide selection of classic Chinese dishes, but in order to communicate with the waitresses, it certainly helps to be able to speak Mandarin. I wanted to order a "big" jug of watermelon juice, and the lady explained to me that it would be very big, so I should rather order a "medium" one. This turned out to be a big pitcher, so I guess the "big" one is what you need for 10 people...

Anyway - the nice Chinese food is best enjoyed in company, otherwise you will only be able to sample a few dishes. I had two kinds of dumplings, one of which was absolutely delicious - think it was called "Snow pumpkin" dumpling or similar, filled with a creamy pumpkin filling. I also had a very nice "spicy beancurd strips" appetizer and Beansprouts vegetable. All of these were very nice, the only dish for which I did not care so much was a "Spicy cumin mushroom skewer" appetizer, although I normally like the taste of cumin.

All in all, a nice restaurant and a welcome addition to the offer of vegan-friendly restaurants in Shanghai.

Pros: Tasty food, Prices ok, Easy to reach by public transport
Cons: Best to know some Mandarin
Fingercuts
Fingercuts
  • herbivore

friendly calm place

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2014

Thanks to previous reviewer for the address details. Fourth floor!
The small shopping centre looks half abandoned upstairs, but head for level 4 where there's a selection of restaurants.
Friendly staff, good pictorial menu.
I didn't go ape over my main dish, but its just my poor choice. I had good dumplings and tofu skin things.
A good place, lots of choice.
Updated from previous review on Friday July 04, 2014

Pros: friendly , safe, no meat
Tianci

Welcoming a New Vegan Eatery!

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2014

We had the pleasure to visit Xiangji Ge just recently and wish to pass along a five cow recommendation for this place! They have a wonderful selection of different foods, the staff is friendly and works hard to help you if you don't speak Chinese (but their English may be a bit limited). The picture menu has English translations of the dishes, which are primarily Chinese. Clean, well decorated, and conveniently located quite close to the Nanjing West Rd Metro (subway) station.

Location: Take the #2 Exit and turn right on the street level. You will walk only perhaps 30-40 meters and the entrance to the Kaixin Center is on your right. Take the elevator to the 4th floor. Xiangji Ge is not hard to find.

Pros: Reasonable prices, Some English Speaking ability, Picture menu w/ English Translations
Cons: May be a bit difficult to find
    Tianci

A quick update from the manager: there is one dish that does have cream in it. I would suggest asking the wait staff before ordering which dishes might have dairy. I have suggested they annotate the menu for this dish to note it has dairy/milk/cream. Until that is done, perhaps you can ask.

Dear Owner and Manager of XiangJi Ge Vegetarian:

Thank you for being a FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Shanghai page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2015/08/20