XiangJi Ge Vegetarian

Opened May 2014 this restaurant offers traditional cuisine but inspired through contemporary trends. Mostly vegan. Sweet desserts, large selection of teas, picture menu with English translations available. Located in the KaiXin Center, out of exit 2 at West Nanjing Rd Line 2 metro station, at 南京西路819号, 开欣商厦410室. Call for hours - tell us. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacgto, Chinese
819 West Nanjing Rd, KaiXin Center, 4th Floor (ShiMen Rd)
Shanghai, China
  • Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Tianci
AndyT
AndyT

Nice Chinese Vegan-friendly restaurant

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2014

Using Tianci's description (take Metro line 2 to Nanjing West Road, take exit # 2, turn right when you arrive at the street and walk 30-40 meters, then enter the shopping mall and go to 4th floor), I easily managed to find this place. (I also post a picture how the entrance to the mall looks like, for those who - like me - can not read "KaiXin Center" when it is written in Chinese signs :-)

The restaurant has a wide selection of classic Chinese dishes, but in order to communicate with the waitresses, it certainly helps to be able to speak Mandarin. I wanted to order a "big" jug of watermelon juice, and the lady explained to me that it would be very big, so I should rather order a "medium" one. This turned out to be a big pitcher, so I guess the "big" one is what you need for 10 people...

Anyway - the nice Chinese food is best enjoyed in company, otherwise you will only be able to sample a few dishes. I had two kinds of dumplings, one of which was absolutely delicious - think it was called "Snow pumpkin" dumpling or similar, filled with a creamy pumpkin filling. I also had a very nice "spicy beancurd strips" appetizer and Beansprouts vegetable. All of these were very nice, the only dish for which I did not care so much was a "Spicy cumin mushroom skewer" appetizer, although I normally like the taste of cumin.

All in all, a nice restaurant and a welcome addition to the offer of vegan-friendly restaurants in Shanghai.

Pros: Tasty food, Prices ok, Easy to reach by public transport
Cons: Best to know some Mandarin
Fingercuts
Fingercuts
  • herbivore

friendly calm place

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2014

Thanks to previous reviewer for the address details. Fourth floor!
The small shopping centre looks half abandoned upstairs, but head for level 4 where there's a selection of restaurants.
Friendly staff, good pictorial menu.
I didn't go ape over my main dish, but its just my poor choice. I had good dumplings and tofu skin things.
A good place, lots of choice.
Updated from previous review on Friday July 04, 2014

Pros: friendly , safe, no meat
Tianci
Tianci

Welcoming a New Vegan Eatery!

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2014

We had the pleasure to visit Xiangji Ge just recently and wish to pass along a five cow recommendation for this place! They have a wonderful selection of different foods, the staff is friendly and works hard to help you if you don't speak Chinese (but their English may be a bit limited). The picture menu has English translations of the dishes, which are primarily Chinese. Clean, well decorated, and conveniently located quite close to the Nanjing West Rd Metro (subway) station.

Location: Take the #2 Exit and turn right on the street level. You will walk only perhaps 30-40 meters and the entrance to the Kaixin Center is on your right. Take the elevator to the 4th floor. Xiangji Ge is not hard to find.

Pros: Reasonable prices, Some English Speaking ability, Picture menu w/ English Translations
Cons: May be a bit difficult to find
  • Tianci Tianci

A quick update from the manager: there is one dish that does have cream in it. I would suggest asking the wait staff before ordering which dishes might have dairy. I have suggested they annotate the menu for this dish to note it has dairy/milk/cream. Until that is done, perhaps you can ask.

Dear Owner and Manager of XiangJi Ge Vegetarian: