CLOSED: Wy Knot Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. The Wy~Knot Cafe was formerly known as Perc up Coffee; now under new ownership. Offers breakfast and brunch which includes a tofu scramble and a tofu burrito. Food is made to order, so items with dairy can be made vegan by request. Patio is dog friendly. Reported closed to HappyCow, June 2014. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Take-out, Non-veg
2325 N 7th St
Phoenix, Arizona 85006
602-218-6646

Open Mon-Fri 7:30am-3pm, Sat-Sun 8am-3pm.

First Review by eric
AZKC
AZKC

Very Vegan Friendly

4 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2014

I first dined at Wy-Knot about three weeks ago and have returned four times since then. Everything is made fresh to order, so substitutions are no big deal. I love the Tempeh Burrito. Jackie the owner is delightful. I am so happy to have been introduced to this place.

Pros: food prepared to order, Attentive owner, Fresh ingredients
radicalmycology
radicalmycology

Bland, but it has potential

2 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2013

I live close to Wy-Knot Cafe, and I've been there several times. I always go in with high expectations, knowing that there are a decent number of vegan options. But I always leave a bit disappointed.

The tofu scramble I got today was bland; it lacked salt and had too much turmeric. There seemed to be no other seasoning added. The sauteed vegetables of the day were described as kale, zucchini, onion, and carrots, but they ended up being a whole lot of onion and zucchini, with almost no kale (again with very little salt and no other seasoning). The baked tempeh is interesting, with a sweet smoky flavor that sets it apart from most "bacon" recipes. But in this case, there's usually too much salt!

Aside from that, the drip coffee is good, and the service has always been excellent. I think with more feedback from vegans, they could do a lot better on the food. I've heard omnivores rave about the other menu items. It's a decent place to take people who are afraid of an all-vegan restaurant.

Pros: Great service, Warm atmosphere, Good, cheap coffee
Cons: Bland food, Not enough salt, Boring vegetables
BillinWillo
BillinWillo

Vegan Really Friendly

4 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2012

Had lunch here Friday - Jackie, the owner was so gracious and the place is beautifully appointed. Jackie's assurance that she could veganize any vegetarian dish was very convincing because she was so sincere interested in my and what I might want. In the end, chose one of the fully and wonderfully vegan options on the menu - great, great place - Jackie's signature dishes are a must - beet salad was pure delight. And a patio where doggies are as welcome as their human accompaniements are! This is a very, very appealing place - will be one of my regular stops, that's for certain. Also, easy, abundant parking just behind building - important since it is on (conveniently) a major artery in Phoenix (7th St). Site will not let me give 5 cows - cause it is not vegetarian - but it is if you want it to be, and vegan if you want that. 4 cows is legal limit, I would give it many more if I could. I know this is a gushing review, and readers of gushing reviews are quite rightly sceptical - but in this case the praise is fully warranted.

Pros: great setting, historic bldg, sublime service

eric
eric

alright for meeting non-veg friends

3 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2012

I needed to meet an old friend and didn't want impose a vegan spot on her, so we met here for breakfast. It's one of the few places on HappyCow open for breakfast in the area. The veg options are decent, but for vegans you're limited to 3-4 choices. I opted for the breakfast burrito, which was quite tasty. This place just barely makes the HappyCow cut, so I hope they'll consider offering more vegan options (like vegan pancakes, fakin bacon, daiya cheese, etc) in the near future. The owner wants to offer healthy food, so it's really a necessity to cut down the meat and dairy from the menu since most items have very decent vegan alternatives.
The place is also very dog friendly and named after the owners dog.

Pros: Breakfast, Dog-friendly
Cons: Few vegan options

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Wy Knot Cafe: