Wu Shang Vegetarian

Nice environment. Chinese name: 无上素食. Address: 南京市白下区御道街56号. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Buffet
No.56 Yudao St., Baixia District
Nanjing, China
86-025-66619222

First Review by veganinseattle
lilfriend
lilfriend

Now called Green Cuisine -- highly recommend!

5 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2014

This restaurant is now called "Green Cuisine" and doesn't have a buffet anymore from what we saw during two dinners here last month. We were in Nanjing for an adoption trip, and our table had two small children, parents, and grandparents. The staff helped us with two high chairs, brought out two complimentary bowls of purée squash soup for the kids, and extra napkins. They had a menu with photos, no English text, but one staff spoke a little English. Overall the food was wonderful. Our favorites were a sweet and sour "pork", a kind of crispy fried mushroom they recommended, and a variety of steamed buns and dumplings (one red bean perfect not too sweet, another mushroom rice). The flavors were great and nothing too oily. Also, our son loves broccoli and I didn't see it on the menu, but the staff made a plate for us. Highly recommend!

It may be tricky to find, as both our taxi driver and private car driver turned left instead of right, so we had to back track the other direction. Look for a green lighted sign at the base of a large building complex.

I picked up a card with their website:

Pros: 100% vegan
Cons: may not be easy to find
maddywa
maddywa

First Vege Buffet Restaurant I have Visited

4 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2013

Lovely restaurant with a great atmosphere.
No English speaking staff when we visited, I would suggest those with no spoken Mandarin take someone who can communicate for you.
Unfortunately we did not get the full experience. As previous reviews have suggested, the map is very inaccurate- the location is actually on the other side of the city centre. If you do not know where you are going, please save yourself time and take a taxi! We arrived at around 1.45pm after searching for about 2 hours >.<
When we arrived our limited Chinese skills weren't enough when they were trying to communicate that they finish serving lunch at 2pm. It was 58 RMB per person and we did not realise this until it was too late... the food that we did try was excellent if you are into mock meats.
Lots of choice and a lovely tea table!
I can't wait to visit again and get the full experience.
And again, TAKE A TAXI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros: Great selection, Nice atmosphere, Buffet style
Cons: No English for stupid Westeners like me!, Hard to find, Strict dining hours
Pitaya
Pitaya

Huge vegetarian buffet

5 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2012

As said in the previous review, the restaurant location on the google map image on this website is incorrect. And we also walked there from the Minggugong subway stop, which yes, is a longish walk, but really worth it.

The restaurant was a bit difficult to find although it is a really big place with garden-like entrance. The name of the restaurant is only on Chinese characters.

But it's really worth looking for. The restaurant serves absolutely huge vegetarian buffet, bigger than the legendary Xu Xiang Zhai in Beijing and we also considered the food better here.

Food is mainly Chinese style with lots of mock meats, but also some fresh options. There is also a sushi table, juice bar, huge tea selection, dessert table and a small shop. This place seems to be really popular among the locals. It is a really clean and spacious place.

We were there on Saturday night and the buffet cost 88 RMB.

I do not think that this place is totally vegan.

Updated from previous review on Sunday December 09, 2012

Pros: Huge selection, Quite tasty food, Big interesting place
Cons: A bit difficult to find, Not totally vegan
lybc
lybc

not to be missed!!

5 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2011

Was in Nanjing for a conference and went here for my birthday dinner. It was so much better and memorable than I ever expected! As other reviewers have said, it is a unique dining experience. Totally delightful and delicious.

BUT: The restaurant name and location on the google map image on this website were incorrect. I think it's now called Green Cuisine and while the address is 56 Yu Dao, as stated, the image on the map is totally wrong. You can walk there from the Minggugong subway stop. It's a longish walk, but a very pleasant one and completely worth it! Others may have a bus recommendation.

Pros: unusual & fun presentation, varied food, friendly staff
Cons: staff not fluent in English, fyi
Canary
Canary

5 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2011

I thought the other reviews were exaggerating, but I can honestly say that I am in love with this restaurant. Not only were the staff some of the kindest people I have met anywhere, the food was delicious. The gelato is made out of soy milk, the mandarin flavor was great! The stir fry, mock eel, soups, juice bar, everything was delicious and for a great price too. Presentation was beautiful and the place very clean. My mother was with me and is a typical Southern mom in that she eats meat with every meal, but actually enjoyed the restaurant just as much if not more than I did! It was so good that I extended my stay in Nanjing just to eat here again haha :) Hope others enjoy it too!!

Pros: friendly/helpful staff, delicious food
Cons: made me want to never leave

Mecavtp
Mecavtp

Vegetarian Buffet

5 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2010

I've lived in Nanjing about 2 years and have visited this restaurant several times. This is easily my favorite restaurant in the world. I agree entirely with the other review but would like to add a few things.
*88RMB is the dinner price. Lunch is 68RMB
*There is a buffet desert and gelato bar
*Coffee is also included, there's latte's cappuccino, and a few others I couldn't read. As a self confessed coffee snob the coffee here is actually good. (The owner is Taiwanese.)
*While the buffet is huge, the amount of food available that you can put together and have someone cook is staggering. Sometimes one of the staff speaks some English and will show you around (or take the clips from your table and click them to things).
*My non-vegetarian friends routinely organize trips there all by themselves, often without a single vegetarian among them.

Pros: Great Food, Nice Atmosphere, Huge Selection
Cons: Little English, Too many choices, You'll over eat
veganinseattle
veganinseattle

Veg Oasis in Nanjing

5 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2010

My wife and I were in Nanjing recently to adopt a girl. We were able to bring along our Chinese speaking facilitator to help us find the restaurant and to interact with the restaurant staff. We have enjoyed vegan cuisine at many of the finest restaurants in North America and Europe. We believe this restaurant is one of the most unqiue. The food is served buffet style and as you might expect leans toward an Asian theme. There were selections of dim sum, sushi, mock meats, soups, stir fries, and surprise - pizza! The restaurant offers a clever way of serving freshly sauteed greens to your table. You clip a number to a clean dinner plate and then you proceed to the buffet table to place your preferred chinese green (about 8 varieties to choose from) on the plate and hand it to one of the chefs. In a few moments, a server will return to your table with piping hot nicely seasoned greens. This is a wonderful way of minimizing waste and getting crisp fresh greens from a buffet format. By the time we finished sampling the many choices, we did not have room for dessert. We weren't sure if the desserts were vegan but they did look amazing. My recollection is that we paid $88 RMB per person which I think is worth the price of admission for one of the most unique dining experiences you will have in China or anywhere else. Highly recommended.

Pros: Fantastic Selections, Elegant Atmosphere, Great Value
Cons: No English Menu Descriptions

Dear Owner and Manager of Wu Shang Vegetarian: