Wu Guan Tang Su Shi

Chinese name 五观堂素食, address 长宁区新华路349号. Near Jiaotong University and Hongqiao Road subway stations, opposite Chinese Cultural Center. Small and popular place with nice decor. Has menu in English. Most menu items can be made vegan upon request. Try the gold hotpot and the roast potatoes or the dumplings. Note that eggs are used in the pumpkin custard. Delivers a cheap "biandang" lunch. Menu available for ordering till 9pm. It is suggested that you make a reservation (requires knowledge of Chinese or having a Chinese friend help you). Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Organic, Chinese, Take-out, Delivery
349 Xinhua Road (Dingxi Road)
Shanghai, China
021-62813695

Open Mon-Sun 11am-10pm.

First Review by ahimsa333
PaulineChiangMai
PaulineChiangMai

good choice!

4 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2014

Take subway line # 10. We took off at Hongqiao Rd station. Near Jiaotong University and Hongqiao Rd subway station.
I cannot find my notes about the restaurant itself. I only remember we enjoyed it. As we went to so many Vegetarian restaurants in this trip, I have a hard time remembering what was what, unless I have my notes. Sorry about that. Still, I thought I can help with the technical info of getting there.

Pros: large selection of dishes, good value
blaim
blaim

Make sure you get the before 9pm

2 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2013

We arrived at 9:06p last night. Even though they are 'open until 10' they told us last orders were at 9 and refused to seat us. Will not be making a trip back.

Cons: unhelpful
SP
SP

Finally, a veg place with no mock meat!

5 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2013

There was a group of us that went on a Sunday evening. We called that afternoon and they gave us a reservation for 7:30pm. The place wasn't busy at all, it was clean, and the staff were attentive. The food was very delicious!!

Pros: no mock meat

shanghaivegan
shanghaivegan

Some good dishes but long wait and hygiene issues

3 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2013

This vegetarian restaurant is always busy in the evening and if you don't have a reservation expect a waiting time of 30min+.

The interior is nice, however the waitresses are rude, stick their fingers that they just handled cash with into your food (a common issue in China) and the push and shove mentality of the guests in the narrow entrance hallway where one has to wait if there is no space at the rooftop also gave me bad vibes.

Some of their dishes are good, as for example the spicy mushrooms that come with little buns, however other dishes are somewhat questionable.

One of those dishes are lotus root slices in what turned out to be ketchup (yes you heard right, plain supermarket ketchup with high fructose corn syrup and whatnot).

I also felt ripped off when I discovered that their 10 or 12 RMB curry rice was a simple small serving of their brown rice mix.

The marker is way off btw. and the restaurant is located somewhat near Shanghai Cinema Arts Center / Jiaotong University Metro Station.

Pros: Some good dishes, Reasonable prices
Cons: Hygiene issues, Too busy, Some questionable dishes
Fred Phillips
Fred Phillips

Contender for best vegetarian in Shanghai

5 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2013

Absolutely loved this place. We went on a Monday night without a booking and had to wait half an hour for a table. Well worth it though. I'd say make a booking but you will probably have trouble doing that unless you can speak the lingo because they have negligible English here. Very extensive menu in a handwritten book. There's an English version ofmthe menu. Dishes are around 25-30RMB and not huge so you'd probably want three for two people, as we ordered. We had a braised cauli/broccoli dish which came in a delicious broth, some house-made noodles with mushrooms and a plate of vegie dumplings. Plus we had tea. They have quite a range of teas as well. These weren't cheap but they seem to take tea quite seriously here and the tea we had was quality. This is a really classy place and we couldn't fault it. My only regret is going there on our last night as I would've loved to have sampled heaps more things on the menu. I don't think you would get into repeats until you'd been there at least 4-5 times. Staff were very friendly too. Undoubtedly, we'll be going here again whenever we're in Shanghai.

Pros: Large range, Elegant venue, Tasty food
Cons: Busy, so you may have trouble getting in, Location not the greatest
psiphi75
psiphi75

Good food

4 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2012

The place had style, was packed during lunch and the dishes being served to the neighbouring tables looked fantastic.  We were pushed for time and had the 9 serve cold dish, steamed buns and dumplings.  The food was very good although I am sure we did not order the best the restaurant had to offer. Not the cheapest.

Pros: good food
sglcklch
sglcklch

Best in Shanghai

5 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2012

I don't know what took me so long to finally try this place out, but it is definitely my favorite restaurant in Shanghai now. First off they don't use MSG or mock meat in their cooking, which is something I strongly agree with. They don't serve fried food or soda drinks either. I have been here twice already, once for lunch and once for dinner, where I ordered completely different dishes. The food was very light, definitely not swimming in oil as in most other places. Everything was well seasoned and simply delicious. The menu was quite extensive. Although dairy was not marked, there was a separate egg section. Other than that most items seemed to be vegan.

My main gripe is, the location is not the most convenient, but still it's easily reachable by metro. The place was very clean. Service was very friendly but could get slow during dinner hours. I do suggest making a reservation if you are coming for dinner as it got filled up really fast the time we were here.

Pros: excellent food, healthy, no mock meat
Cons: location
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Delightful spot in Shanghai

5 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2011

This is one place we ended up at over and over again. The interior is very pleasant and it is located in a quiet, leafy area of town. The hand-written menu (of which there is one English copy) contains enough to keep you entertained for quite a few visits and everything tastes really nice. They don't go overboard with the oil and don't use MSG. Mock meats are not a problem here either so you can go to town without having to think too hard.. how refreshing! The dim sum menu is lots of fun for lunch and the noodles are also all really enjoyable. Nothing negative to say except that when we first arrived in China my parter used to feel a bit sick after eating here (not just here, but here moreso than other places). We never understood why but guessed it might be the type of oil they use... after a few weeks in China he must have toughened up though because on the last visit he was ok (although we didn't eat as much either, so hard to tell). Bit of a mystery. Still, highly recommend checking this place out. It's definitely one of the best in Shanghai.

Pros: healthy food - no MSG or mocks, lovely ambience, lots of interesting choices
Cons: mystery nausea effect
The Hungry Vegan
The Hungry Vegan

The Best.

5 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2010

This is probably the best restaurant I have ever been to. The food is light and delicate. Much of the vegetarian food in Shanghai is mock-meat, but this place celebrates each delicious vegetable for what it is. If you go to one restaurant in Shanghai, go here.

Pros: Best, Delicate, Delicious
ahimsa333
ahimsa333

Fantastic Menu and Food--and no fake meats!

5 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2009

I've been in Shanghai for a few weeks, and have eaten at a few vegetarian restaurants. This is by far my favorite. The lunch set is a steal at 38rmb ($6) and includes tea. Dinner for two can run you a lot more, so go there for lunch! Everything I've tried is excellent, perfectly flavored, and no MSG! The menu is in English (a bit rough, but workable) and a few of the wait staff speak English. Very helpful. They have a wonderful rooftop garden area with seating. The place is very clean. No Engish on the building or entrance, so look for the glass windows, large wood door, and the lanterns out front.

Pros: Great price, Excellent food, No fake meats

Dear Owner and Manager of Wu Guan Tang Su Shi: