CLOSED: World Peace Cafe

Veggie cafe operated by volunteers and on Buddhist philosophy. Offers breakfast menu, sandwiches, weekday afternoon tea, organic tea, dinner plates. Gluten-free bread and several vegan items like veggie rice bowl with spicy peanut sauce, eggplant polenta, and tofu scramble. Uses organic and locally grown ingredients whenever possible. Peaceful setting. Free wi-fi. AUG 2013 REPORTED BY STAFF SHUT DOWN AFTER 6 YEARS. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, American, Take-out
220 Hammond Dr NE 302 (City Walk)
Sandy Springs, Georgia 30328
404-256-2100

Open Tue-Fri 11am-8pm, Sat-Sun 9am-3pm.

First Review by TinaGlenn
CyneEnright
CyneEnright

Cafe that makes me feel like i am back home in SF

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2013

This cafe is wonderful! all of the staff are volunteers, and the profit goes toward the local meditation center.

There are many different teas, juices (mainly from Arden's), and coffee drinks with vegan milks. There is a shop area where Malas, tshirts, jewerly and other goods are sold. the cafe food is good and fresh. Many items are either vegan, or can be veganized easily by asking to switch to Daiya cheese.

We go all the time, since is across the street from my office.

Lizart1
Lizart1

• raw

My Favorite Veggie restaurant!

5 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2013

I love this restaurant. I am a long-time vegan and love coming here by myself or with friends. I never worry about bringing people who eat differently than me because the menu is so accomodating and the food tasty and delicious. The atmosphere is very peaceful and sentient; anyone would feel comfortable here. The wait staff are all volunteers and make you feel right at home. I have ALWAYS had a good experience and meal here. I highly recommend this restaurant!

Pros: Excellent food, great value, nice atmosphere
Cons: none
cookie1908
cookie1908

Great breakfast!

4 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2012

My husband and I met a friend here for breakfast, and it was very good. I ordered Vegan Cranberry-Orange Pancakes, which were delicious. My husband ordered a tofu scramble, which he really liked - although he wished it had a bit more seasoning. The service was great - they let us stay past closing since we were so caught up in conversation. Wish we would have had room to try a dessert item, but we were stuffed! Loved eating upstairs, it was a nice low-key atmosphere.

Pros: Upstairs dining, Pancakes
Cons: A bit pricey, Hard to see location from street
Jimmylbb
Jimmylbb

We eat here every two weeks.

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2012

My husband and I eat here every two weeks and we ALWAYS have great service and excellent food!!! LOVE THE ATMOSPHERE!!!!! Excellent staff and speedy service!!!

Pros: Excellent Food, Speedy, Friendly Staff, The Atmosphere...WOW!!!!
Chris M.
Chris M.

Love this place

5 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2011

I love this place, but I rarely get out here as it's a long way away from where I live. All of the staff (mostly volunteers) is friendly, the food is amazing, and the atmosphere is real laid back. World Peace Cafe is a great lunch spot!

Pros: Delicious, Friendly, Atmosphere

tomaswk
tomaswk

Oh My Goodness!

5 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2010

The Reuben Sandwich has become my litmus test for veggie restaurants. So at WPC I i ordered a Reuben (which came with a soup), and a slice of Chocolate cake.

Let's start with the food. FABU! The Reuben was great and the soup was heartily filled with goodness. The cake slice proportion was nice and large. And the taste was so good that now I'm going to go back and demand to see the ingredients to make sure it's truly vegan. It's that good!

Last thoughts are on how nicely decorated the interior is. Well done team WPC!

Pros: price, taste, proportions
Monica Bauldry
Monica Bauldry

Kind People, Wonderful Food!

5 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2010

We showed up about 10 minutes before closing & they were very welcoming (something most restaurants will give you an attitude about). The food was wholesome and delicious! I highly recommend!

Pros: Extremely Friendly, Tasty Food, Peaceful Atmosphere
Juliette83
Juliette83

Peacefully YOhmmy

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2010

This place is beautiful, the food is great, and the staff is greatly appreciated as most are volunteers. They also offer a lot of social activities on certain nights.

Pros: Beautiful ambiance, Healthy cuisine, Health-conscience business practices
Cons: Not close enough to my house
hippublican
hippublican

Eh.

3 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2010

This restaurant is adorable. It's definitely a pretty, atmospheric place to sit and eat. The food, however, left me disappointed. I ordered the vegan pancakes and they were not very... pancakey. They were a gross mushy texture and, I'm sorry, but what are pancakes without a big ole plop of vegan butter on them? The service was friendly though, and my husband liked his food (he got a fritata).

eray13
eray13

yum!

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2010

I love going into a restaurants & order anything on the menu. World Peace is no exception. Everything I've had is amazing!! & I love the $5.00 special for lunch

Pros: excellent food, pleasant atmosphere
Cons: no dinner hours
Rebecca Byrd
Rebecca Byrd

Wish I lived next door

5 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2010

It was a month ago today that my husband and I dropped into this place for dinner on a cold, wet Friday night. We were the only ones in the place, other than the volunteer staff. At any other restaurant, such desertion would make us worry what kind of place we were in, but looking around at the beautiful interior, we knew. This place is warmth all over. From the ethereal 2 story ceiling, to the beautiful painted canvases adorning the high walls, to the soft glow of the ginormous paper lanterns, and to the delicious food, we felt so happy to take solitary refuge in this peaceful, glowing space. The Buddhist volunteer staff attended to us more professionally than 90% of paid waiters and waitresses. Service was fast and efficient. The soups we had were some of THE tastiest, heartiest restaurant soups we'd ever had (see photos above): a tomato and a lentil soup. With the soup we sipped on a delicious tea we both fell in love with: raspberry nectar caffeine free. For dinner my husband had the Grilled Polenta Cake with Eggplant Caponata (see pic above) while I had the Herb-crusted Tofu Steak & Fries (see pic above). Between the two, the Caponata was far better, which is not to say the tofu wasn't also satiating and yummy; it just wasn't as inspired or rich. But it fulfilled my craving for tofu and fries with style. And our desserts -- the vegan cake we had here was truly THE best vegan cake I've ever had: the Triple-layer Chocolate Almond Cake. The vegan cakes I've ever had have virtually all been indistinguishable from non-vegan cakes; in other words, they're delicious. But I would dare to say this vegan cake was better than 90% of the non-vegan cakes I've ever had. It's worth coming here just for their vegan desserts alone, seriously. Besides their amazing cake, we took home some of their vegan cookies, and they were soooo yummy. I can't even tell you. You just have to taste them all. And another great part: we took advantage of the Friday Night Dinner for Two Special, so we paid between $5-$10 less than the sum of every item we ordered. I think we paid under $30 for 2 soups, 2 teas, 2 entrees, and 2 desserts, all vegan, healthy, & delicious, and they use organically & locally grown whenever they can. They cook to order & don't have a microwave. I'm turned off by ginormous menus with too many choices. Their menu here is the perfect balance between variety and easy navigation, just the right size. Their story is an interesting one. Eat here & leave refreshed.

Pros: Very happy place, such yummy stuff, such a great idea
Cons: i can honestly think, of none!
kbonner
kbonner

Wonderful!!!!!!

5 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2009

World Peace Cafe is a charming resturant, the atmosphere is great and the food even better. It is great to go somewhere that offers such a full vegan menu. I highly recommend everyone trying this fab place out.

audrey
audrey

Great place!

5 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2009

This is a nice sit down restaurant. The two-level, open air set-up is nice. And the servers are great. The food is unique, healthy and tasty.

Pros: tasty, healthy food, friendly staff, nice atmosphere
ashleyhansen
ashleyhansen

Great food and atmosphere

5 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2008

Peace Café lives up to it's name! It is a peaceful retreat for sure. I had the sunshine salad and some tea and loved it. I sat upstairs which has windows on both sides of the building making it very bright. They also have free wireless internet. I'd visit them regularly if I lived nearby! I had a little bit of trouble finding it, so be sure to take good directions with you.

Pros: great food, great people, great light filled atmosphere
cheeky
cheeky

World Peace in every city!

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2008

I wish World Peace cafe can make it to every metro city, and quickly! The peace burger is unique and extraordinary. The portions of the side potatoes was on the light side.... maybe 8-10 wedges per plate. The egg scramble was tasty, though not as marvelous as the peace burger. The eggplant polenta was bland, but in general I'm not a fan of polenta. They have multigrain rolls / bread, which is a huge plus.

The chocolate almond cake is one of the best chocolate cakes ever. And it is vegan. We fought a little over that too - and ended up buying 2 more slices. At $5.50 a slice, the portion is large and worth it!

The banana rice pudding seemed like any old pudding (so I heard, I couldn't try because it wasn't vegan).

The iced-tea isn't a typically Georgian sweet tea. It had a nice jasmine blend to it.

TIP: You order your food at the register and place a number on your table. the staff brings the food to you, though if they are busy expect a little bit of a longer wait.

Also, the staff volunteer their time at the World Peace Cafe. They bring a serenity to the whole atmosphere - which is already very nicely decorated.

I highly recommend the Peace Burger. Order enough for everyone on the table!

Pros: Atmosphere, vegan chocolate cake, peace burger!!
Cons: Slow service , order at register
hathor03
hathor03

World Peace

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2007

This is my favorite vegetarian restaurant! The atomosphere is wonderful, the people who work there are always pleasant and the food is wonderful. They have several vegan options and the World Peace Burger is excellent and vegan. They're open for breakfast, which is great. They're closed on Mondays.

Pros: Food, People who work there
TinaGlenn
TinaGlenn

Outstanding Atmosphere, Unforgettable Food

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2007

Relatively new restaurant to the Sandy Spings area. Beautiful, serene atmosphere. Created and operated by a local Kadampa Buddhist Sangha, the staff are friendly, serene, & polite. Food never fails to please. The Peace Burger is by far the absolute BEST vegetarian burger I have EVER eaten! In fact... everything is delightful! Great place for Brunch or Lunch during the week. Dinner only served on Friday & Saturday nights.

Pros: Clean, serene atmosphere, EXCELLENT Food, Friendly, helpful, staff

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: World Peace Cafe: