Organic vegetarian restaurant. Pleasant space with pine tables and views of the canal. Live music some evenings. Directions: By train, Apsley BT station is just across the road. By car Apsley is on the A4251 either from the magic roundabout in Hemel town centre or on the A4251 from M25, junc. 20. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, International, Take-out
19 Dickinson Quay, Apsley Marina (Dickinson's Wharf by Grand Union Canal)
Hemel Hempstead, England HP3 9NQ
01442-266280

Open Mon-Sat 10-10, Sun 10-4.30.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Jo Kay

Great dinner experience !

4 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2012

Can't recommend this gem of a restaurant enough, its lovely location, friendly service and of course, delightful food.
Found it the last night of my visit...sorry it was not sooner.
All success to them,
Ethan

Pros: Excellent food, lovely service, nice magazines

It was ok!

3 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2012

My friend, my partner and I took a late lunch at Woodys recently. My non-vegan friend had a lasgne with garlic bread, my partner had a vegan pizza and I had a vegan savoury crepe with salad.

The staff were very helpful, understanding and resourceful. There are however two negative things I'd like to highlight.

1) There were not enough vegan options. It seemed that our options were quite limited, however they did have vegan cake which is always a bonus.

2) They didn't seem to know what to flavour things with if there wasn't cheese in it. Whilst my food was ok, it was quite bland due to lack of flavourings.

I would recommend the place and will return in the future, although I might order something different.

Pros: Vegan cake and ice cream, Reasonable, Good staff
Cons: Not enough vegan options, Food needs to have more flavour

Great Vegetarian Restaurant

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2011

I have eaten at Woodies many times. I have always enjoyed it. It's not a chain so don't expect the standardisation of an Ask or a Wagammas standardised experienced - but then that occasional quirkiness is one of the things that makes it special.

Pros: Great food, Positive, Good pricing
Cons: Cant think of any

Lovely

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2010

Good place with lovely food and cakes. Regular menu with changing specials. Caters for almost any variation you fancy. The curry is supurb. Nice location by canal and marina. Busy with locals and office staff so may need to book at lunchtimes unless you are early. Cost can mount up if you go in with good intentions and sucum to temptation.

Pros: Good food, location, service
Cons: Cakes are too nice

Lovely Jubly

5 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2010

I live near to Woodys and have been there many many times. I love the vibe. The staff are so relaxed, perhaps a little to relaxed a times, but it doesn't really matter. The food is always lovely and they are happy to alter most receipies to vegan if they can. The local cat visiting is always a delight to see by the big windows overlooking the canal.

One thing that I see as both good and bad is the chance of getting what you ordered. Whenever I go with a friend or family memeber there is alwyas a lottery between us to see who get something differing to their order. It never matters though as the food is always great.

Definately visit this place if you get the chance.

Pros: Tasty food, House cat, Vegan Friendly
Cons: lax staff at times

lovely food but....

2 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2009

We visited with a small party and found the food to be great especially the pizzas.. We like the fact that you know you will not find any meat inclusions in our food but was disappointed that we were charged a non optional service charge without prior notice and after presenting our card for payment, which is not legal and the attitude that followed left a bad taste in our mouth

Pros: nice pizzas, lovely smoothies , great location
Cons: shared tables , one unmannerly member of staff , only found one toilet

Delicious

5 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2009

I have been to Woody's many times and the food has always been delicious. The staff are lovely and they always have a good selection of cakes, the chocolate one is especially yummy. Virtually everything on the menu can be veganised. Pizzas are yum, good selection. A plate of salad is scrummy, different flavours and textures, but my sister had the mozzerella salad a while back and it was surprisingly small. They had a good selection of ice creams, really interesting flavours like lavender and chamomile, but they weren't vegan. There are a variety of crepes, both savoury and sweet, including wheat-free and herby.
I love it there, it's relaxed, friendly, delicious. You can pop in for coffee and cake, pick up an ice cream as you walk along the canal, or go and enjoy the yummy grub.
It's a 3 minute walk from Apsley station, and is right next to a marina and a canal, so lovely to sit outside on a sunny day. Very reasonable prices too.

Pros: Delicious food, Inexpensive, Relaxing atmosphere
Cons: Not many vegan cakes, No vegan ice cream

Dear Owner and Manager of Woody's: