Serves meat, veg options available. Traditional Canadian fare but with a modern twist. based around a wood-fired oven and makes its own bread. Separate vegetarian menu with vegan options (except for pasta but including dessert). Vegans need to specify as dairy is used. Price: Expensive more-less
Lacto, Italian, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery, Canadian, Non-veg

hannahimsa
hannahimsa

Fantastic and addictive

Posted on 05 / 02 / 2015

I had a series of fantastic meals at Woodlot and can't recommend them highly enough.

I arrived without a reservation but as I was travelling alone I was immediately seated at the bar. The restaurant has a separate vegetarian menu and although the pasta contains egg everything else can be made vegan. My server was extremely helpful with his recommendations - honest with me about which dishes would stand up on their own without cheese.

As others have mentioned I started with their delicious house made bread and olive oil. Over three meals there I tried the mushrooms and wild rice, kale salad and lentils with sunchokes and treviso. Everything was absolutely amazing. When developing dishes they begin by making a vegan version and then tweak it to add animal products (this seems bizarre as once they know they have an amazing dish I would only serve that, but it means that vegans aren't missing out on something creative and considered).

I understand that the menu changes almost monthly but when I was there there was also a vegan chocolate and passionfruit ganache as dessert.

As an added bonus the wines are all organic and natural which means they are often unfiltered and unfined i.e. vegan

I felt really welcomed and comfortable in this restaurant, respected and well cared for! Highly recommended and worth the price for a special evening.

Pros: Good vegan options including dessert, Helpful staff
Petesternz
Petesternz

Fairly Unimpressed

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2015

Recently visited Woodlot with a group of carnivores who wanted to take me somewhere we could both eat. I was not particularly impressed. On the plus side, it's a gorgeous restaurant. Really loved the look. Also on the plus side was the vegan bread, which came with delicious olive oil. The starter of mushrooms was really nice too, well worth getting. The entrees were more of a problem. Vegetarians may do well here, but there are not a lot of vegan options. I ended up with a vegan version of a lentil pie, which I found completely uninspiring. Couldn't have a coffee after dinner, because this place - amazingly - does not carry soy milk. Dessert options were generally non-vegan. On the whole, I found this place could try a little bit harder with its veggie options.

Pros: Ambiance
JLD7
JLD7

Exceeded my expectations

Posted on 09 / 22 / 2014

I was quite impressed with Woodlot! A group of friends and I went there this past weekend. Everyone was happy with their meals.

Woodlot has a completely separate vegetarian menu. It was was set on the table for us, so we didn't have to request it. I asked the gentleman who seated us if anything is vegan or can be made vegan and he pointed out the Ember Grilled Hen-o’-the-Woods Mushrooms, Smoked and Stuffed Roast Tofu, Warm Kale Salad and Seared Rapini. He mentioned these are already vegan, or quite easy to make vegan. Their pastas are made in house and contain egg, however they keep corn pasta on hand for anyone with a dietary restriction or allergy.

Our server spoke highly of the Ember Grilled Hen-o’-the-Woods Mushrooms and said it was one of her favourite dishes. I ended up ordering this as well as the Smoked and Stuffed Roast Tofu. The server let me know she'll tell the kitchen to make the necessary vegetarian-to-vegan adjustments and use oil instead of butter, etc.

After ordering the server brought us a basket of freshly baked bread (butter for my non-vegan friends) and a plate of olive oil and salt for me. She went out of her way to let me know the bread is baked in house and suitable for vegans! This was a first for me - normally the wait staff is not so knowledgeable and I really appreciated her efforts.

The food was delicious! Portions are decent sizes. My favourite part of the meal was the starter (Ember Grilled Hen-o’-the-Woods Mushrooms). I wish they had a meal sized version of this! The Smoked and Stuffed Roast Tofu was also great!

The prices are a little high, but it shows in the quality of food and service. Everything tasted fresh and I would not be surprised if it was organic/locally grown. My meal was $60 with tax/tip for 1 glass of wine, 1 starter and 1 main.

Overall, I was happy with my choices and will definitely return again!

Pros: Well rounded meals, Quality of food, Knowledgeable staff
Cons: Price

Little Vegan Bean
Little Vegan Bean

Okay but not recommended

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2013

I was there Saturday night with my hubby and one of my friends. 2 of us are vegan and one is vegetarian, but we decided to order only vegan foods.

First, our table located at the back near the area that they collect all the dirty dishes, which is not very nice. They should have let us know that they have a patio out front, but they didn't.

Service was okay but not attentive. One thing though, because most of the main dishes have cheese, they told us that the chef can make something vegan out of the menu for us. So, we ordered a pasta that way, that actually came out very nice. I appreciated that.

Other than that, we ordered 1 more pasta, one tofu dish. We also ordered an mushroom appetizer, side dishes include potatoes, kale salads and fried pepper. Generally, I found the foods there too oily, the fried pepper was too salty, kale salad was too sour. The potato side dish was the best out of all the dishes we had. I did not try the tofu dish which my friend had, but she said it was nice.

We definitely had better food and service for that kind of price.

Dear Owner and Manager of Woodlot: