Vegan grocery store and restaurant in the Howard University/Park View area; changed its named from Everlasting Life Cafe. Offers vegan soft serve, raw food, veg soul food like mac n cheese and biscuits, and different mock meats. Brunch service on Sunday. Start July 2013 its food truck will serve food around town - check website for locations. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Soul food, Caribbean, Southern American, Organic, Catering, Take-out

First Review by Mimi710
andriamary
andriamary

Just Incredible Vegan Soulfood

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2014

Absolutely delicious. We had the Mac& Cheese and the Fried Chick'n Sandwiches and were in awe the entire time.

The sandwiches feature crispy soy chick'n fried to perfection and a fresh slightly sweet bun. Even our friend who eats meat is a regular here for these sandwiches. They taste too good to be true!

Plus, the staff is very friendly and there are a ton of options for every palette.

brosner
brosner

I get it about once a month

5 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2014

which is about as often as I visit any restaurant. It's amazing, but not healthy. If you want healthy, go elsewhere. Here are some of the choices I like there: Mac 'n cheese, fish sandwich, fried chicken sandwich, salisbury steak.

They have a rotating menu, so some things are not available every day. For me, this is a huge plus because it increases the variety at a restaurant I go to often. I usually get the food to go and eat it at home, because it can be noisy inside. It has a juice bar, a feature that is inherently noisy.

Pros: Excellent food, good prices, good variety
Cons: noisy
veganlifeisgreat
veganlifeisgreat

Worth all the money I spent there :)

5 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2014

I'm from NYC and visited there in June with my wife, I am vegan and she is not. So I did my research on this place and liked the reviews, I aslo looked up another place to eat for another day but never made it there because this place was sooooo good. The service was excellent and the food was delicious. I spent $90 between us two ($25 went to our sweet tooth lol)and it was worth evry penny. Like I said I was gonna go somewhere else the next day to give the other place a try but we decided to go there for breakfast on Sunday and it was worth it again. This is the place to go for all vegan and non vegan lovers. If and when I'm in DC again this will be a must place for me to eat. Btw you can't go wrong with anything on the menu. 5 STARS

Pros: Warm wonderful and helpful service, Delicious food, Clean eating area
Cons: No cons only pros

TableForOne
TableForOne

Sweet Almond Cream

4 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2014

It's a pleasure to discover a fully vegan eatery close to where i'm playing. This place was just a 15 minute walk from the 9:30 Club. I had the seitan beef with broccoli and a salad of crispy green beans and sesame seaweed. For dessert, i had an almond cream shake. It was very sweet, but sometimes that's okay. It's kind of weird how there's a few T.V. screens on the wall, switched on, with the sound down, but apart from that i thought this was a great place. There's lots of choice at the buffet and an extensive menu of shakes and freshly made juices. I'd definitely come again.

Pros: Lots of choice, Lots of seating, Big portions
Cons: T.V.
sullivusb
sullivusb

Amazing!

5 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2014

Wow this place is awesome!

While visiting D.C., four of us swung by here for Dinner on Friday night and loved it so much that we returned for Sunday brunch.

This is a cafeteria style eating establishment with a rotating menu so obviously we didn't get to try everything, but everything we did try was great. I especially recommend the Shepherd's Pie, broccoli, Waffles, biscuits, "cheesecake", and breakfast sandwiches.

The pricing is also very reasonable

Pros: Great food, Great prices, Friendly staff
cookiem
cookiem

So good and so bad

5 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2014

Why oh why do I not go here more often? This place is vegan food glory at some of its finest in that southern comfort food style, with the fat, salt, sugar and calories to match.

Have you seen their menu? Have you seen their mac and cheese? Have you seen their cinnamon buns??? DC locals, you know there are some pretty good cinnamon rolls out there, and I had thought they were all just about the same and had never bothered to try one from here…. umm, I was kindly corrected the other day when purchasing a WARM frosting glazed confection overflowing in a (plastic) to-go-container. $4 gets me THIS? I was so pleased at the texture and flavors, I vow to never settle for another DC area cinnamon roll. It was that good. Plus, the size allows just about anyone to eat some now and some later. Seriously, it must have weighed at least 1.5 pounds, it was massive!

As for the food, the prices are alright, but who cares, the food is so good! To see what they have ready to go, walk on to the back and see - check it out, and well, you will leave with more than you had planned to eat…. The hot sides and entrees are before you, so take your pick a la carte or mix it up. I advise purchasing either a melange of all sides or if an entree is your desire, add sides to bring cost to something reasonable. On varying days they have varying meat analogues like seitan or chicken, but, thankfully, they always have the mac and cheese! Cooked veggies include collards, beets, spinach, mashed potatoes, broccoli, cabbage, you name it! It changes, so go frequently - or order off the menu a sandwich-like concoction if you have the patience to wait for it amidst all the amazing presentation before you!

For brunch, they have tofu scramble, meat-like sausages, waffles, pancakes, french toast, burritos, sandwiches, tofu, seitan, veggies, breakfast potatoes and cinnamon rolls. Oh wow. So good. You will not be disappointed!

They have cookies and cakes to go - though they don't hold a candle to the cinnamon bun! Order smoothies - yum, with almond, soy, hemp or rice milk - or juices - great way for those in need of their daily fix(es).

There are also cold sides that are raw and cooked - Asian noodle salad, seaweed salad, spinach salad, pasta salad, marinated artichokes, garlic kale, ginger collards, parsley surprise, caribbean chick pea salad, beets, couscous, mushrooms, string beans, quinoa, etc. I personally love getting 3 sides to go!

This place is super casual but delish!

Pros: Selection, 100% vegan, Cinnamon rolls
Cons: Calories, Too many menu choices, Too tasty = overeating
IamVShelby
IamVShelby

Completely Vegan...Totally Amazing!

5 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2014

This restaurant is completely vegan. However, that's not a problem since all of the food is soooo good!

My first visit was with my husband on a Sunday afternoon for brunch. I'd heard first hand of how to conduct yourself in this restaurant-grab a menu, go to the back/kitchen area or wait in the line, get your food, you can eat first pay later or vice versa- so that wasn't a problem for me. However, there were no menus so we used the somewhat visible one on our phone. No matter. We ordered brunch!

Turns out, the food was so good, my husband had to ask me, 'Are you sure this is all vegan? There is no way that this mac-n-cheese is this good!'

We ordered the Ginger Spicy Tofu (yum) with mac-n-cheese, kale salad and broccoli with cookies for dessert. We were so full afterwards!

I have since gone back with coworkers and alone and have tried their chickn' sandwich, the fish fillets, steamed kale and fries. Everything was delicious-I especially enjoyed the fish and kale! I recommend this place all of the time and will definitely be back soon!

Pros: Great food, Large Portions, Friendly Staff
Cons: Price-Health is Wealth, Online menu not clearly visible, No reservations! :-(
ArashArabasadi
ArashArabasadi

get ready to punch your mouth in the face

5 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2014

welcome to woodland's vegan bistro... home of chicken wings, mac n cheese, fried chicken and collard greens.

it's all vegan. it's all greasy. but it's all good.

place used to be called "everlasting life cafe" -- aka ELC -- but after a dispute between co-founders, or something to that effect, it's now this.

it's just amazing. the wings are insane. my fiancee isn't vegan, but she's a good sport when we're together. we knock out the buffalo & BBQ wings with furious anger. they're so worth the wait.

...and the weight. this ain't health food, nor is it really masquerading as such. it's just dope, hangover helper that's 100% vegan and a hit with non-vegans, too.

i haven't gone there with any non-vegan who didn't walk out like, "damn son. that was dope."

enjoy and you're welcome.

Pros: wings good enough to smack mama, mac n cheese is slammin, hearty, heavy food
Cons: it's not health food AT ALL, made-to-order takes a while, your clothes will smell greasy
Saramste
Saramste

Love this Place

5 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2014

** Formally Everlasting Life Cafe DC.** This place is amazing. By far my favorite vegan soul food spot in the DC area! There is NOTHING that I have ordered there, that I did not enjoy. The vegan fish is amazing (sandwich, or entree), the fried chicken (again, sandwich or entree) is extremely satisfying, and the raw/cold bar certainly offers enough options to satisfy an individual looking for a mix or raw and cooked, or simply raw vegan items. They also offer a rewards program. Ask about it at the register! Also, love that they have a vegan food truck. Check them out on Facebook to find out where they are located each day!

Pros: Amazing Vegan Soul Food, Rewards Program
Cons: Parking
aner1kind17
aner1kind17

Soul Food Heaven

5 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2014

This place is one of my favorite places to eat in DC! I love how it feels like a very local DC place and not just another overpriced bougie restaurant. The food is excellent and the fried chicken sandwich is a killer. They also have a huge side salad bar and they are very generous with the helpings! Also try their garlic kale!

Pros: Food, Atmosphere, Local
Cons: Location is hard to get to
ConsciousBurning
ConsciousBurning

Awesome vegan soul food

5 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2013

I live about a 5 minute walk away from Woodlands, which is good and bad- good because the food is so delicious, but dangerous for the same reason! Their mac & cheese is amazing. They have a ton of cold, raw salads to choose from. I didn't like the garlic kale; it was actually a little too garlicky for me, and I really like garlic. My partner, who is decidedly not vegan, also likes the food here.

I haven't had their smoothies or soft serve yet (maybe next summer) but the smoothies are made with fresh ingredients. Get a cinnamon roll, but be warned: you may eat the whole thing in one sitting!

I like this place a lot because it has such an interesting mix of clientele- folks who have lived in the area for years and years, Howard students, hipsters, and yuppies like myself. There's currently some construction going on next door but it hasn't interfered with Woodlands' hours.

Pros: Great food, Huge portions, Community vibe
Cons: Not air-conditioned in the summer, Huge portions, Can be crowded in the back when ordering
beetsrock
beetsrock

Woodlands Food Truck

4 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2013

It was worth the long wait in line to get the fried chicken sandwich and garlic kale salad. It sounds unhealthy and it probably was but it was soooo good! And the sandwich was huge -- this combo made a very large lunch. The food truck provides different self-serve sauces and both the BBQ and hot sauces were delish on the sandwich. Most food trucks just offer a few selections but Woodlands had a large menu of sandwich/salad type items. For someone who tries to eat low-fat, whole foods, this meal felt like a guilty pleasure ... but I would do it again!

Pros: food truck travels to you, big portions, friendly staff
Cons: service is a bit slow
DC Vegan
DC Vegan

Awesome vegan soul food

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2013

Woodlands Vegan Bistro is a cafe on Georgia Avenue formerly known as Everlasting Life (although the signage and menus don't yet reflect that change). What a few years ago was a grungy grocery with a little carry-out area in the back has morphed into a sort of cafe. You still have to go to the back to get your order and pay the friendly cashier (grabbing bottled drinks from the refrigerator near the cash register), but you have a comfortable place to enjoy your food.

Woodlands is vegan soul food, although a healthy meal can be had if you stick to the raw salads.(such as the delicious vinaigrette kale). Or you can enjoy one of the hot entrees (which vary from day to day) or a sandwich. Prices are pretty reasonable, and the last time I was there, the portions were quite generous. My boyfriend's "cheese steak" sandwich was huge! And the fried "chicken" (offered as an entree on Saturdays) is to die for!

Woodlands is in a sort of sketchy neighborhood north of Shaw, and there's no reserved parking, but it's near several bus lines and a little more than half a mile from the Georgia Avenue Metro station (Green Line). This is not a problem for me, as I don't own a car. And it's totally worth it for the food.

Pros: delicious food, friendly service, good portions
Cons: sketchy neighborhood, no parking
joel+hungrydad
joel+hungrydad

Woodlands Vegan Bistro aka Everlasting Life Cafe

5 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2013

As a meat eater with a wife and 2 daughters who are vegan I have had very mixed feelings about our dining experiences. This restaurant however was a total delight. They make outstanding food and everything I tasted was great. If they served beer it would have been perfect.

Pros: Excellent food, good value, delightful staff
Cons: limited parking, dark interior
Veggies12345
Veggies12345

so much to choose from

4 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2013

There is a massive menu here. Some healthy raw salads, juices and smoothies but also caters for those vegans who enjoy their fake meat and cheese. I'm more a fan of the raw salads. Also reasonably priced :)

Pros: Cheap, Healthy options
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Great food, friendly people & ice cream

4 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2013

This is a store/food by weight type place, but they also have vegan soft serve. The prices are great, and so is the service. It's definitely worth going. Other than honey, everything is vegan.

Pros: All-veg (honey), Vegan ice cream, Friendly
abacus
abacus

tasty soul food at a decent price

4 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2013

Really great food, fabulous people! If you're a first timer, ask to try a sample plate before you order. There's a juice bar, sandwiches, and sides. I have been here a half dozen times and have literally never eaten anything I didn't like.

Downsides -
It's on a really busy street and beware the parking! We ended up on the street surrounded by the broken glass of previous parkers.

Also, the sandwiches and meals are actually really average in cost, but the sides are kind of costly if you have to buy lots. Sadly, they're also so yummy you'll want some of each!

Pros: Tasty, Cheap sandwiches, Location is easy to get to
Cons: Parking is not the best, Spendy Sides
CindyElder
CindyElder

My favorite restaurant in DC

5 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2013

I was in DC for 4 days and visited ELC three times. I loved it, and I will eat there any time I am in DC. Their menu indicates they are 100% vegan, so I think the info on HC may be outdated.

Walking into the restaurant, it isn't apparent what is supposed to happen. There are tables and chairs in the front, a register and bar behind it, and then through a walkway there is the kitchen and service counter. A friend my husband and I were meeting there had scoped it out, so she explained that you headed to the back to order your food, kind of like cafeteria-style.

It isn't entirely clear how that process is supposed to go, as there is a hot item bar that the staff serves to you, a case with a bunch of unmarked salads (info about them is listed on the menu though) that they will also serve you, and then another counter where the fried chicken sandwich and other hot items are made. It would be easier for customers if everything in the salad case had labels and if there were a few signs to say "start here" or "order sandwiches here." That part is kind of confusing, but it isn't worth worrying over. The food is great, so just fumble through it the first time.

Over the course of the three meals I ate I had the tofu manicotti (very good), broccoli (basic but tasty and a good healthy item), mac 'n' cheese (amazing!), fried chicken (YUM!), and fried chicken sandwich (another YUM!). Despite all the strong reviews here of the fried chicken sandwich, I was kind of hesitant to order it, because someone mentioned it just being breaded tofu. That isn't true at all. It looked to me to be made from dehydrated yuba (or dried beancurd sticks) that were rehydrated and then double-breaded. I never did figure out what the mac 'n' cheese was made of exactly, as it had a great cheesy taste but didn't seem like any recipes I had ever made. Both were great and I plan to order fried chicken (or the sandwich) and mac 'n' cheese every time I visit. The peanut butter shake is decadent and delicious, by the way. It was something we ordered at each meal.

I loved this restaurant, and while it isn't really near other sights, it is worth the rail/walk or bus ride. Especially if you are looking for vegan soul food at a good price. This is a great spot for tourists, as your money goes a long way, as the portion sizes are generous, the cost is low, and there won't be a wait to eat.

Pros: all vegan food, generous portions for low price, amazing food
Cons: bus ride or a bit of a walk from rail
turtleveg
turtleveg

Love it!

5 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2012

Everlasting Life has the best of both worlds - amazing soul/comfort food and tasty deli salads and fresh pressed juices. The vegan fried chicken is to die for. And the staff are all super friendly and helpful. Prices are right too.

mikebinos
mikebinos

why did i never go before?

5 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2012

Never went here when I lived in DC, that was stupid. On a recent trip back to visit friends they took us here and it was amazing. The mac n cheese was fantastic as were the vegan ribs (and the cinnamon bun).
Someone said here that it was related to SoulVeg, but is that really the case? I always thought SoulVeg was too salty and the food was not nearly as good as Everlasting Life, at least when I went.

mollytov
mollytov

Incredible!

5 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2012

Went here on a trip to D.C. and every vegan I talked to raved about it. DAMN, were they right. I got the mac and cheese side, fried chicken sandwich, and a green glory juice. Everything was delicious and the folks working there were so nice -- even gave me a free juice. I highly recommend the mac and cheese, it was literally the best I have ever had. Definitely in my top 5 favorite restaurants!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value
tinyweirdfishes
tinyweirdfishes

vegan soul food, perfecto!

5 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2010

I recently visited Washington D.C. and walked here from the zoo one evening, longer walk than we expected but well worth. It was so good that we revolved our next day in the city around coming back to this delicious place! We had the "chicken" sandwich, which is incredible, mac and cheese, kale, lasagna, and most importantly vegan softserve icecream! I wish I lived in the area because I crave food from this place all of the time, and I would love to try everything. Every bit of it was fantastic and I'm so happy we weren't scared away by the neighborhood/outward appearance of the place. SO worth it.

Pros: best vegan soul food ever, vegan soft serve ice cream, friendly service
Cons: hard to find, no seating, 8 blocks away from closest metro
dcninja
dcninja

I love this place

4 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2009

I eat at this place almost every chance I get. I am like a little kid in here. I find new fun things I thought could not be made vegan, and everytime they surprise and delight. The neighborhood is the last place I expect to find some of the best vegan food I have ever had.

Even if you are not vegan you gotta check this place out. Have the Mac n Cheese. Experiment with some vegan soul food. Just go wild, have a little bit of whatever they make that day, and enjoy.

Everlasting Life is remodleing, but don't let that keep you away from some great food served by really nice people.

Pros: great good, nice people, large portions
Cons: remodeling dust, nowhere to sit
vegbenzboy
vegbenzboy

Yum! Yum!

5 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2009

I just got back from DC from a family vacation. I went to Everlasting Life the food was delicious. A lot of southern favorites like mac & cheze & greens, yams. The service was very friendly. There was no where to sit because they are expanding to having a dining area. They also had food to go like delicious salads, pizza, pies. I had to keep asking if everything was vegan. Can't wait to visit again.

ahaus829
ahaus829

The Vegan Soft Serve...

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2007

...alone is worth the drive. But you must also try the biscuits and the mac'n'cheese. Part of the "Soul Veg" family. Such friendly people!

Pros: All vegan!, Friendly staff
Mimi710
Mimi710

yum

4 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2007

My friends and I ate her by default, because the near by Soul Vegetarian restaurant was closed. YUM though! It's awesome that this grocery store exists in that neighborhood. I had the kale which was delicious (makes me want to eat kale much more often) the mac and cheese and a side salad which came with a delicious peanuty dressing. I had a few bits of my friends pina colada soy soft serve -- WOW! I got a chesecake which I ate later, also yummy. You should definetly hit this place up if you are in the DC area. Though the store sells honey, none of the food had any it.

Pros: great food, reasonably priced, deli is all vegan
Cons: non :)ing cashier

Dear Owner and Manager of Woodlands Vegan Bistro: